Topics

Coot Calendars -- Order Now!

The Coot Calendars are going the printer next week -- I may hold off until after the boat launching Tuesday, in case I get a good picture there <g> -- so you'd better get your order in soon! They'll be $15 apiece, postpaid, again this year.

Here's who's ordered so far. If I missed you order, or made a mistake in it, let me know:

Andrew Vandervelde 1
Bob Larkin 2
Cal Drake 1
Case Turner 1
Chet J. Gardner 2
Chuck Leinweber 1
Claire Acord 1
Dan Arbogast 1
Dan Mulholland 2
Dan Pence 1
Dan Rogers 1
Danny Grünbaum 1
Dave Becker 1
Dave Kruger 2
Dave Thompson 2
David Birch 1
David Clemmer 1
David Graybeal 2
David Luckhardt 1
Dennis Banta 1
Dennis McFadden 1
Dennis Olson 1
Dick Mitsch 1
Earl Boissonou 1
Elaine Ginader 2
Elizabeth Haynsworth 1
Frank Mabrey 1
Jack Brown 1
Jim Cooper 3
Jim Reim 1
Jim Young 1
Joe Novello 1
John Carlson 1
John Purdy 1
Josh Colvin 1
Lisa Fortuna 1
Lon Wells 1
Mark Neuhaus 1
Marvin Wyckoff 1
Paul Bartlett 1
Pete Leenhouts 1
Quinn Wells 1
Ralph Mohr 1
Rich Aaring 1
Richard Green 1
Sam Johnson C/O CRMM 1
Scott Coleman 2
Scott Marckx 1

Thanks!

--
John (@Jkohnen)
Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of science makes skepticism a virtue. (Robert King Merton)

Case Turner

So you invited Graybeal to do the initial stability test of your new boat? If shot perfectly that could almost make a whole calendar!

Dirt

Sent from not here

On Dec 6, 2019, at 1:27 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

[...]

Good idea, Dirt! Are you coming, David? <g>

On 12/6/2019 1:56 PM, Case wrote:
So you invited Graybeal to do the initial stability test of your new boat? If shot perfectly that could almost make a whole calendar!
--
John (@Jkohnen)
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. (Louis L'Amour)

roseandthistlecustom@...

I would like to get one please. How do I get signed up?
Thanks
Josh

That little puddle sure looks nice, but I think it's too small for Dan's Walkabout. <g> Where'd you take the photo?

On 12/6/2019 5:13 PM, Josh wrote:
I would like to get one please. How do I get signed up?
Thanks
Josh
--
John (@Jkohnen)
An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out? (René Descartes)

roseandthistlecustom@...

Sent $20 if you would mail to: The Meads, 725 Louis St., Eugene OR 97402. That's Sweet Creek Falls near Mapleton. Is this better?

Since we moved down here from Alaska we've been driving all over getting to know the area. Have lived on or worked on motorboats in several states but like small sailboats best.
Thank you for making this available.

elaineginader

Nice picture.

On Fri, Dec 6, 2019, 11:36 PM <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:
Sent $20 if you would mail to: The Meads, 725 Louis St., Eugene OR 97402. That's Sweet Creek Falls near Mapleton. Is this better?

Since we moved down here from Alaska we've been driving all over getting to know the area. Have lived on or worked on motorboats in several states but like small sailboats best.
Thank you for making this available.

Thanks, Josh. So they call it Louis "Street" now? It was Louis "Lane" when I was a lad. You'd think I'd have noticed the change, since I live just a few blocks away. <g>

Nice photo! Sunset Bay?

https://groups.io/g/oregoncoots/photo/0/0?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

Welcome aboard! Do you have a boat now?.

On 12/6/2019 11:36 PM, Josh M wrote:
Sent $20 if you would mail to: The Meads, 725 Louis St., Eugene OR 97402. That's Sweet Creek Falls near Mapleton. Is this better?
Since we moved down here from Alaska we've been driving all over getting to know the area. Have lived on or worked on motorboats in several states but like small sailboats best.
Thank you for making this available.
--
John (@Jkohnen)
Inanimate objects can be classified scientifically into three major categories: those that don't work, those that break down and those that get lost. (Russell Baker)

roseandthistlecustom@...

John,
That picture is from Haceta Head.
Today we went up to Newport and followed the coast to Cape Mears, got a couple okay pictures but no good ones. I put the pictures I took today up on Instagram, if you look up roseandthistlecustom they should show up.
It's cool you are close here, we're buying a house over on Baxter, just 3 or 4 blocks away. Don't know how long it's been Louis St., think it's more than 17 years though. There's a S Louis Ln off Gimple Hill.
No, we don't have a boat yet, three favorites are Welsford Pathfinder, Vivier Ilur and Oughtred's Calidonia yawl or Penny Fee. Also have a soft spot for Oughtred's Elfyn. Probably start by just buying a small fiberglass sailboat to get on the water but before even that we'll need a vehicle that can tow.
Josh

Claire Acord

Great photos Josh!
thanks for sharing, hope you find a boat real soon.
best
Claire

Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org
Claire Acord, Chapter President

On Sat, Dec 7, 2019 at 7:44 PM <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:
John,
That picture is from Haceta Head.
Today we went up to Newport and followed the coast to Cape Mears, got a couple okay pictures but no good ones. I put the pictures I took today up on Instagram, if you look up roseandthistlecustom they should show up.
It's cool you are close here, we're buying a house over on Baxter, just 3 or 4 blocks away. Don't know how long it's been Louis St., think it's more than 17 years though. There's a S Louis Ln off Gimple Hill.
No, we don't have a boat yet, three favorites are Welsford Pathfinder, Vivier Ilur and Oughtred's Calidonia yawl or Penny Fee. Also have a soft spot for Oughtred's Elfyn. Probably start by just buying a small fiberglass sailboat to get on the water but before even that we'll need a vehicle that can tow.
Josh

Devil's Elbow! That was a favorite place for us to go when I was a kid, and still a very nice park. I shoulda recognized it. But you did hige the lighthouse. <g>

Did you take the Three Capes Scenic Route from Pacific City? The view coming down off Cape Lookout to Netarts Bay is terrific! Oceanside is an interesting little seaside village. We used to do a Motorcycle run over there from Dallas. The Anchor tavern was a good spot, but it got turned into a f***ing fern bar. <sigh> The last time I was over that way the road around Cape Meares was closed; they gave up on trying to keep it from sliding off the side of the Cape. I don't remember whether that was north or south of the Cape...

If you get a small enough sailboat you don't need much to tow it. I use a 4-cylinder pickup for my boats, but since I got the "new" lighter trailer for my Footloose skiff, Pickle, I'll bet I could tow her with my Prius. Charley is towing his aluminum skiff with his Prius.

On 12/7/2019 7:44 PM, Josh M wrote:
[...]
We should not be simply fighting evil in the name of good, but struggling against the certainties of people who claim always to know where good and evil are to be found. (Tzvetan Todorov)

Claire Acord

Why Devil's elbow John?  Bad shore setting currents?  Hidden rocks?  Shipwrecks?  Or just the normal Oregon coast all three <g>
cheers

--
John (jkohnen@...)
We should not be simply fighting evil in the name of good, but
struggling against the certainties of people who claim always to know
where good and evil are to be found. (Tzvetan Todorov)

I meant "hid" the lighthouse. Behind the trees. <g> It's said to be one of the most photographed lighthouses in the World.

http://www.boat-links.com/images/bikes/norton1.jpg

Although no sailor would want to get near Heceta Head (hence the lighthouse <g>), "Devil's Elbow" is probably just the product of the same fertile imagination that gave us "Devil's Punchbowl" and "Devil's Churn", also on the central Oregon Coast. "Devils Lake" might be taken from Indian legends of lake monsters. The Devil was busy on the Oregon Coast. <g>

The Oregon Coast is a dangerous place. It's best to stay well offshore. A Fairey Atalanta blew into (well, was towed into) Florence maybe 15 years ago. Two guys had refurbished the boat in South Beach and had set off to explore the Orinoco River. They didn't stay well offshore, and almost got caught on the north side of Heceta Head, with the northwesterly wind and southward-running current pushing them towards destruction on the rocks! They got clear, but when they got near the Siuslaw River they decided they needed a rest. Their engine (a Coventry Victor flat twin, I lusted after it <g>) wouldn't start so the CG brought them in. The Atalanta sat at the dock in Florence for quite a while, but was eventually sold to somebody and disappeared. I'd kinda lusted for it, but it was a little too big for me. The guys never got near the Orinoco, though one of them did buy another sailboat. But that's a disaster story for another day...

When I was in junior high my dad and I went for a drive to the coast, where we spotted a small troller that had come ashore on a tiny bit of sand beach in Cooks Chasm. I scrambled down for a closer look. The boat seemed to have only one or two planks stove in, after going through a bunch of rocks into a tight notch in the basalt mainland! But I wondered how they'd ever get it out of there if they patched it up. They probably never did.

On 12/8/2019 7:46 PM, Claire wrote:
Why _Devil's_ elbow John?  Bad shore setting currents?  Hidden rocks? Shipwrecks?  Or just the normal Oregon coast all three <g>
cheers
--
John (@Jkohnen)
The man who would be fully employed should procure a ship or a woman, for no two things produce more trouble. (Plautus)

roseandthistlecustom@...

Really enjoying your reminiscing about the coast. You're right, it's a particularly brutal coast and also incredibly beautiful.

Case Turner

John did you post your address somewhere? This coot order thread has gone down a worm hole and I can’t seem to find that info so I can send you a check. Or was there a pay pal link? That could work too.

Thanks Case

Sent from not here