Topics

Coot

Jhcalbany@aol.com

I've never seen an American Coot's feet before. Is this the one we're named after?

Yep, that's one of us. I've seen lots of coots, but I guess I never looked closely enough at their feet. Weird! <g> maybe they have to stand a certain way to show them off like that...

https://groups.io/g/oregoncoots/photo/0/1?p=Created,,,20,2,0,0

On the way back from lunch Thursday Charley wanted to visit the Finley Wildlife Refuge, so we went down 99W and turned off on Finley Rd., south of Greenberry, and stopped at a viewing stand. We talked to some birdwatchers and one of them said we should go to the next road south, Bruce Rd., where there was a marsh full of birds. So off we went, and found a pond chock full of swans, geese, ducks, egrets, herons, and of course coots. It was like something you might have seen a couple hundred years ago. Highly recommended.

--
John (@Jkohnen)
It is a nuisance that knowledge can only be gotten by hard work. (W. Somerset Maugham)

Dale Simonson

I had no idea! Perhaps because I've only ever seen them in gumboots.

Jhcalbany@aol.com

Finley is a great bird place

Yep, but I hadn't known about the part on Bruce Road before Thursday.

On 12/9/2019 6:26 PM, Jim C wrote:
Finley is a great bird place
--
John (@Jkohnen)
Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. (Mark Twain}

Richard Green

They’re bottom feeders, so to speak, so wander around in the shallows snacking here and there.  My brother shot one once while duck hunting, we cooked it, tasted like muddy bottom.

Rich