Topics

Circumnavigation around Sauvie Island

elaineginader

To those that participated on the cruise these last couple days. You went at the right time especially with the smoke coming back. If you can we'd love to hear about it.

Elaine

We should be getting some reports soon, and Earl is gonna send me some pictures to publish.

Only three boats showed up at Sand Island the first night -- Reach of Tide, with Myles and his wife, Glencannon with Bo Neill and Dan Mulholland aboard, and Earl in Dr. Petra. Earl and Bo decided to go rogue, heading downriver to Cathlamet instead of doing the very leisurely circumnavigation of Sauvie's Island we'd planned. Myles didn't think he had enough juice to go that far.

Earl, Dan and Bo had a fun trip. They stopped at Walker Island for a night, coming and going, met up with some of the Cathlamet Coots, and spent their last night at Sand Island again.

Stay tuned...

On 10/1/2020 9:10 PM, elaine wrote:
To those that participated on the cruise these last couple days. You went at the right time especially with the smoke coming back. If you can we'd love to hear about it.
When small men begin to cast big shadows, it means that the sun is about to set. (Lin Yutang)

Myles Twete

We had a good 3 days and nights circumnavigating Sauvies Island.
It was an easy cruise 12 miles downstream from Caterpillar I. to Sand Island and welcomed by Earl, Bo and Dan before sundown.
We weren't in any hurry given there was a little rain that morning/afternoon. Anyway, nice camping there that night.
Next day after saying farewell to the others, we got supplies at St. Helens and had a very nice lunch there at the "Roof" restaurant. Then meandered up the Mult. Channel with the wind and current until we got to the West side docks at Coon Island. Nearly no one at the docks, it was a quiet place to dock. The weather of course was great. Next day we continued upstream, stopped at Fred's Marina and picked up some ice. Then over the top and down the Willamette, we anchored off that night on the Columbia behind a bunch of Tidewater barges...got there just in time to relax and watch the sun drop slowly over the Columbia and Sauvie's Isle.

Did a bit of trolling for salmon at various points, but no luck.
All in all, started the trip with 48v and ended with 41v, for about 300a-h of pack battery capacity used (about 42%) for the circumnavigation. This amounts to approx. 13.2kwh (about $2 worth) of electricity. It was a nice trip and a welcome mini-vacation for us.

Had I brought my genset and another charger along, we might have considered the trip to Cathlamet and back...could have made it the whole way downstream just on battery power, but w/o the genset, even a full overnight charge at Cathlamet would not have been enough to make it back upstream on pure-battery power.

I did check out the AC power options at St. Helens docks---I didn't have the correct AC plug to charge there.

Anyway, I have some pics I could share also.

-Myles

[...]

Mark Neuhaus

Hi gang,

On Friday, October 2, 2020, Myles Twete <matwete@...> wrote:

We had a good 3 days and nights circumnavigating Sauvies Island.

I couldn't get away on Saturday for a couple of reasons, but figured to meet up at Coon Island  sometime on Sunday.  Late Saturday, Earl called and left a voice mail that said he, Bo, and Dan were at Sand Island and I should call him. I sent him a text with my plans, as his voice mail was full.

Sunday, I loaded my boat and headed for Coon Island, which had empty docks all around. Kept heading north to intercept the fleet.  Got just past Scappoose Bay entrance and saw nobody, so called Earl.  Imagine my surprise when he said he and Bo were heading for Cathlamet!  Now, it's true I have a zooming boat, but I wasn't  about to try to run him down.

He had told me that Myles had re-charged in St. Helens and was heading home.  So, I turned around and went home.  Didn't feel comfortable spending the night alone at Coon Island. I've seen a  few too many iffy boats along the channel. Too bad I didn't know Myles' plan to complete the circle.

Myles, I did meet up with your sister ship which used to be at Kadow's and we chatted a few minutes while underway.  Did you cross paths with them?

A day or two later, I drove over to the PYC inlet on Sauvie, and drove the perimeter road back.  So, I guess I sorta circumnavigated the island. 😀

Mark

Myles Twete

Thanks Mark-

I was surprised (and saddened) not to see you at Sand Island.

Val and I stuck with the script, so we landed at Coon Island Sunday late and stayed the night.  There were at least 3 boats at the East docks and 3 (including ours) on the West, so  I don’t understand how you could have seen no boats unless it was before 4pm or so.  And if that were the case, you’d have passed us up going upstream.  There were no boats before we got to the West docks, then we and 2 other boats arrived almost simultaneously.  But the East docks had at least 3 when we walked across the island.

Regardless…

Yeah, Corky Miller has moored “Penumbra” at the private docks maybe 3 miles upstream of Coon Island now for a couple years I think.  We saw it as we went by on Monday and she looked pretty good from a distance J.  I should have reached out to Corky before the trip…

Anyway, again, per script, we went upstream on Monday and then, not having anyone tagging along or meeting us, we dropped anchor by ourselves that night.

For me, I didn’t know who we’d meet and didn’t have phone#s, so it was all a surprise journey J.

-MT

[...]

Thanks everyone for the news of your trips. Sorry I wasn't able to make it. I can't wait to see some of the pictures. What do you think of adding this to the Coots calendar for next year.

Elaine

On Fri, Oct 2, 2020, 7:56 PM Myles Twete <matwete@...> wrote:

[...]

cherrill boissonou

Hi Elaine,
John will post the pics soon, and I’ll provide a narrative eventually🌝⛵️⚓️
Do you still want your chart? It’s waiting on my desk.
Earl

On Oct 2, 2020, at 8:20 PM, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

[...]

Thank you, and yes I still want it. I'll look up your address if I can find it and send you the payment and some extra if you are willing to mail it to me.

On Sat, Oct 3, 2020, 11:56 AM cherrill boissonou <cboissonou@...> wrote:
[...]

John finally did get Earl's photos online:

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmRdsmdL

I had to make some guesses in some of the descriptions. I hope Earl sets me straight. <g>

On 10/3/2020 11:56 AM, Earl wrote:
Hi Elaine,
John will post the pics soon, and I’ll provide a narrative eventually🌝⛵️⚓️
Do you still want your chart? It’s waiting on my desk.
I cannot endure to waste anything as precious as autumn sunshine by staying in the house. (Nathaniel Hawthorne)

David Birch