Topics

Cheap fiberglass

Jhcalbany@aol.com

I was looking at home made campers on YouTube & there was someone coating his plywood with watered down titebond 3 then covering it with a bed sheet then more watered down titebond. He then painted it. The finish was rough. I can visualize all of it peeling off in a couple of years. I know titebond is a great glue, but this good? Anyone ever done this?

Richard Green

Trouble with using the bed sheet is every morning after you’ve slept in the camper it gets rumpled and you have remake it…

Rich

On Nov 27, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany@...> wrote:

I was looking at home made campers on YouTube & there was someone coating his plywood with watered down titebond 3 then covering it with a bed sheet then more watered down titebond. He then painted it. The finish was rough. I can visualize all of it peeling off in a couple of years. I know titebond is a great glue, but this good? Anyone ever done this?

Case Turner

I did an experiment a few years back with it. Used TB3 and bed sheet. Put one piece in a bucket of water to simulate a bait being in the water and the other chunk I left out in the weather to simulate being stored outside.

I started the experiment in August and it ended March.

Both failed. Both were fine until the rain and snow hit

Case

Sent from not here

On Nov 27, 2020, at 11:41 AM, Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:

Trouble with using the bed sheet is every morning after you’ve slept in the camper it gets rumpled and you have remake it…

Rich

On Nov 27, 2020, at 11:31 AM, Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany@...> wrote:

I was looking at home made campers on YouTube & there was someone coating his plywood with watered down titebond 3 then covering it with a bed sheet then more watered down titebond. He then painted it. The finish was rough. I can visualize all of it peeling off in a couple of years. I know titebond is a great glue, but this good? Anyone ever done this?

Jhcalbany@aol.com

That's what I figured

Dave

I use TB3 50/50 as a sanding sealer on wood to be painted. Great stuff. It really is waterproof. I assembled outdoor furniture with it, no paint, 7 years later, still strong. The bedsheet material is the issue with most of these tests; the plastic or cotton sheeting won't stand up to the UV from the sun. Paint it and it should last a long time. I have yet to test 2 oz fiberglass with TB3 and paint. I would guess it to be really tough.

My Dad had cotton duck covered spruce canoes, they went years out in the rain and snow. Lots of paint was the secret.

David

Jove Lachman-Curl

Sounds like TB3 just isn't very UV resistant.
Case were your pieces coated with paint, or was the UV getting to the glue? Did the fabric fail or the glue?
Cotton should be pretty UV resistant, Work shirts last years. And people used to dry all their cotton in the sun. Plus cotton sails.
-Jove

On Fri, Nov 27, 2020 at 3:02 PM Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
That's what I figured

Richard Green

When I built Passage, I epoxied the decks with a couple rolled on coats of epoxy, then laid 10 oz cloth in Aerobal, made sure it was well coated, painted over it with Wards (at the time) porch and deck paint.  28 years later I saw the boat still on the same coat of paint.  I can’t even find Aerobal online to show a link.  It was an aviation product as I recall.

Rich

On Nov 27, 2020, at 1:37 PM, Dave <david@...> wrote:

I use TB3 50/50 as a sanding sealer on wood to be painted. Great stuff. It really is waterproof. I assembled outdoor furniture with it, no paint, 7 years later, still strong. The bedsheet material is the issue with most of these tests; the plastic or cotton sheeting won't stand up to the UV from the sun. Paint it and it should last a long time. I have yet to test 2 oz fiberglass with TB3 and paint. I would guess it to be really tough.

My Dad had cotton duck covered spruce canoes, they went years out in the rain and snow. Lots of paint was the secret.

David

Case Turner

Painted with porch and deck. Glue failed. Cloth peeled off.

Case

Sent from not here

On Nov 27, 2020, at 4:23 PM, Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:

[...]

Bummer.  The porch and deck is typically a very good paint.  Doing the deck on Passage, it was important to squeegee the aerobal initial coat on the deck through the weave of the cloth.  Perhaps there was too much reliance on surface bonding with the sheet.  I wonder if glass cloth woulda done better for penetration?

Rich

On Nov 27, 2020, at 4:39 PM, Case Turner <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:

[...]

Chief Redelk over on the Duckworks group has used Titebond II for a lot of "off the label" uses. He's used it with various fabrics, and also, thinned, as a primer on bare wood under latex paint. Apparently the key, as it were, for using it as a primer is to wait until the goo is _almost_ set, then slapping on the paint. His boats have lasted well in northern Louisiana, but he stores them under cover, and they only get wet when he uses them.

That's not a typo -- Titebond II. It's cheaper and easier to find in Louisiana than Titebond III. Some other folks over on the DW group have also experimented with using Titebonds in unusual ways. I'd only use it as anything other than glue on a boat I wasn't putting much money and effort into:

https://groups.io/g/dwforum/

On 11/27/2020 11:31 AM, Jim C wrote:
I was looking at home made campers on YouTube & there was someone coating his plywood with watered down titebond 3 then covering it with a bed sheet then more watered down titebond. He then painted it. The finish was rough. I can visualize all of it peeling off in a couple of years. I know titebond is a great glue, but this good? Anyone ever done this?
Men with the muckrake are often indispensable to the well-being of society. (Theodore Roosevelt)

Arabol is extinct, but pretty much the same stuff is sold by another name. You can get it at Englund's. Rick J told me the particulars a few moths ago, but I've forgotten them. <sigh> Arabol was a pipe lagging goo. A PVA goo, related to Elmer's glue and the Titebonds, made by Bordens.

This may be what the fishing boats are using now:

https://www.englundmarine.com/products/deck-adhesive-ga%7CHUM-DAG.html

On 11/27/2020 4:22 PM, Rich G wrote:
When I built Passage, I epoxied the decks with a couple rolled on coats of epoxy, then laid 10 oz cloth in Aerobal, made sure it was well coated, painted over it with Wards (at the time) porch and deck paint.  28 years later I saw the boat still on the same coat of paint.  I can’t even find Aerobal online to show a link.  It was an aviation product as I recall.
When a man loves cats, I am his friend and comrade, without further introduction. (Mark Twain)

That’s the stuff! I spelled it wrong. Got the usage in error, too. Thanks for setting it straight, John. It was easy to apply, worked like a champ when properly done. Geez, I haven’t been to Englund’s in years, either. Still use Victorinox steak knives I bought there over forty years ago. At the time, they were 3.95 each so I bought a dozen. But I digress..

Rich