Bronze bow sockets

Bill Cook and Deborah L Cook

All, below in the link is my current project. A 49 Larson skiff, strip built. I'm closing in on putting the canvas bottom on then the trim. If you expand the image you will see 3 bow sockets on each side made of pot metal. They are used to support oak bows for the boat cover. I would really like to find 6 bronze ones. I will replace the aluminum thwart knees with bronze rod I have source and will heat and hammer, hopefully, flat pads for mounting.

I found three sets for $45 and ordered them. They never arrived after repeated excuses of mixed up order, staff shortage, the whole book on excuses. I asked for a refund, no response. I paid via PayPal and they were useless and kept saying to work it out with the sellers? After four months and no sockets, no replies, my credit card company took pity on me and I got a refund. What a time consuming process. So, if anyone in the Coot family has a good source or sockets they won't use, can I buy? I'll pay with check, not paypal! Thanks, Bill

https://www.amazon.com/photos/shared/u4zykfZSQc61Ih_1zZAmeQ.fiN7qpcpGKIWLlu66FKlLJ

Richard Green

Bill, have you ever looked in upon Alaska Copper and Brass in Portland?  Maybe they have thicker metal from which you can machine your sockets?  When I did Passage I got all my raw materials of silicon bronze there.  Bronze can be drilled, tapped, etc quite handily.   I loved working with it, did the stanchions, bow anchor rollers, pulpit, chain plates, etc. all of bronze from pipe or sheeting.  Just a thought.

Rich

On Jan 21, 2022, at 11:20 AM, Bill Cook and Deborah L Cook <wcook1120@...> wrote:

[...]

<10201652874751875.jpg>

Bill Cook and Deborah L Cook

Rich, yes. I bought the bronze and copper from them for Seawolf. I know I could make them but I'm wanting to get on the water soon and lots still to do. I had these sockets on Swallow, the Matinicus double ender and got them at a hardware store off the exit to UW in Seattle. Once common they seem to have found a home in a backroom bin or box. I may end up scraping the fuzz off and painting them gold till I find some. Thanks, Bill

On January 21, 2022, at 11:46 AM, Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:

[...]

Electri-Cal

I just now looked on Amazon, for boat bow sockets, sold in pairs from Perko or Taylor .  At around $7.00 per pair, and using 3 pair in Surprises cockpit, seems like a good buy.  The matching fiberglass flat ribs are from Attwood, or heavier looking ones from Taylors, depending on use, and length.  So under $50. to get the cheaper bow parts, just install and be ready to go.

Bronze is nice, but a bit spendy for an easy project, or you could have bronze ones cast.  I'm inclined to get the heavier bows, to snug the cover tight, the zamak sockets to fit 3 bows, maybe one wood strip to run lengthwise so the bows stay aligned better.  flush the bolt heads, and off you go, I have had this as a project in mind for a while.

I do have the square enclosure canvas cover that's for sitting room cabin use, but the much lower bows would be good for a better looking and way lower profile canvas cockpit weather cover.

Hows that work in your case? -----  Cal

Electri-Cal

JUST READ THE FINE PRINT ON THE FIBERGLASS BATTENS before ordering.  WOW, $22.00 EACH, BUT SHOWN AS A SET OF 3 IN PHOTOS.  Looks like battens could be made from wood (marine ply & epoxy ) easier and cheaper, then use those sockets.   Might even make wider ones and trim to fit better than stock bows, but the metal sockets are reasonable enough, so i'll try that at some point.

Just an add on note,  _____  Cal

Bill Cook and Deborah L Cook

Cal,

Thanks. I did see those but am trying to make the boat as close to original as I can while in the process. Aluminum knees were not likely nor cast pot metal chrome in 49. I found some in the east but at $51.99 a pair plus freight, I’m guessing they will adorn the shelf awhile longer?

As I mentioned to Rich G., I’ll clean these up and paint them an off color goldie bronze using left over paint and call it a day until I find some.

Bill Cook

[...]

Those are snazzy battens but what about f’glass tent poles which are widely available and only require a hole bored into a chunk solid bronze or a hand carved lump of coal or somesuch?

Rich

On Jan 22, 2022, at 11:38 AM, Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

JUST READ THE FINE PRINT ON THE FIBERGLASS BATTENS before ordering.  WOW, $22.00 EACH, BUT SHOWN AS A SET OF 3 IN PHOTOS.  Looks like battens could be made from wood (marine ply & epoxy ) easier and cheaper, then use those sockets.   Might even make wider ones and trim to fit better than stock bows, but the metal sockets are reasonable enough, so i'll try that at some point.

Just an add on note,  _____  Cal

There's an outfit in Vancouver (Washington) that makes custom-bent tent poles if you need them/ Bob L used them for Wave Guide's cockpit tent:

https://tentpoletechnologies.com/

Lots of fiberglass tent poles go to the dump whenever the City of Eugene rousts the occupants of a homeless camp...

On 1/23/2022 8:41 AM, Rich G wrote:
Those are snazzy battens but what about f’glass tent poles which are widely available and only require a hole bored into a chunk solid bronze or a hand carved lump of coal or somesuch?
If they give you ruled paper, write the other way. (Juan Ramon Jimenez)