Topics

Breezing Up

 

Browsing photos using the search string "vela latina" (lateen sail) I stumbled upon this:

https://flic.kr/p/JAXB7G

An excellent shot of an interesting boat. Maybe I'm crazy, but it brought to mind this painting of a Woods Hole spritsail boat that's one of my favorites from Winslow Homer:

http://www.winslowhomer.org/breezing-up.jsp

Lateens and spritsails... gotta love 'em. :o)

--
John (@Jkohnen)
Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten your aim. (George Santayana)

Electri-Cal
 

Great pictures from the artist, incredible variety, super color and interesting composition, a real treat.  Thanks John, for the visual pleasure.  Some are reminiscent of the Mardi Gras models from the New Orleans museum,  Another fun place to visit.  The architecture paintings are incredible too, they would have a place in any good gallery, or private collection.  Thanks for that link, don't usually hunt for that subject or media. 

Not the same scenery by a bunch, but the lateener sail rigged boat was what I first sailed on, at age 12 or so.  Parents and I took a trip by President Lines, stopped in Egypt a bit.  While we toured, we did a sunset cruise on the Nile in a good size dhow.  I have the slides taken then, at the pyramids, and around Cairo.  Humm, ought to get those out again, interesting stuff.  From before the whole sphinx complex was completed, ships found, etc.


Later,  Cal


On Mon, Nov 25, 2019 at 4:36 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Browsing photos using the search string "vela latina" (lateen sail) I
stumbled upon this:

https://flic.kr/p/JAXB7G

An excellent shot of an interesting boat. Maybe I'm crazy, but it
brought to mind this painting of a Woods Hole spritsail boat that's one
of my favorites from Winslow Homer:

http://www.winslowhomer.org/breezing-up.jsp

Lateens and spritsails... gotta love 'em. :o)

--
John (jkohnen@...)
Fanaticism consists in redoubling your effort when you have forgotten
your aim. (George Santayana)




 

Winslow Homer is one of my favorite painters:

http://www.winslowhomer.org/winslow-homer-paintings.jsp

How about this one? <G>

http://www.winslowhomer.org/the-gulf-stream.jsp

You can still go for a ssail on the Nile in a tourist felucca. This video is probably closer to what Cal saw when he was a lad than the modern stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV3PI5TOXIw

Lateeners are still raced. Try searching for "vela latina canaria" for some action pictures and videos. The most fun is watching them tack (but some of the videos deliberately cut away when they tack <sigh>. I haven't seen what they do when they need to jibe... The racing has got pretty commercialized nowadays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxOsfG6ciqE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJzCsDboXXY

On 11/26/2019 6:21 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Great pictures from the artist, incredible variety, super color and interesting composition, a real treat. ...
Not the same scenery by a bunch, but the lateener sail rigged boat was what I first sailed on, at age 12 or so.  Parents and I took a trip by President Lines, stopped in Egypt a bit.  While we toured, we did a sunset cruise on the Nile in a good size dhow.  I have the slides taken then, at the pyramids, and around Cairo.  Humm, ought to get those out again, interesting stuff.  From before the whole sphinx complex was completed, ships found, etc.
--
John (@Jkohnen)
There is no free lunch.

Gerard Mittelstaedt
 

The lateen or Vela Latina boat seems to have a Catalan flag flying astern.  There is a group on Facebook celebrating the Vela Latina in the area of Barcelona ( Catalan area in Spain, which would rather be its own nation )  The boats are very interesting, and sometimes there is a lot of activity.  If one keeps at it one can learn a lot about the Mediterranean lateen rig examining those photos.  There are nuances of difference vs. lateen rig boats in Venice and the eastern side of the Adriatic - and every now and then, in other groups those lateens in Egypt.  It is an interesting world examining versions of the lateen and setee sail rigs.


On Wed, Nov 27, 2019 at 2:26 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Winslow Homer is one of my favorite painters:

http://www.winslowhomer.org/winslow-homer-paintings.jsp

How about this one? <G>

http://www.winslowhomer.org/the-gulf-stream.jsp

You can still go for a ssail on the Nile in a tourist felucca. This
video is probably closer to what Cal saw when he was a lad than the
modern stuff:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gV3PI5TOXIw

Lateeners are still raced. Try searching for "vela latina canaria" for
some action pictures and videos. The most fun is watching them tack (but
some of the videos deliberately cut away when they tack <sigh>. I
haven't seen what they do when they need to jibe... The racing has got
pretty commercialized nowadays:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lxOsfG6ciqE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TJzCsDboXXY


On 11/26/2019 6:21 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
> Great pictures from the artist, incredible variety, super color and
> interesting composition, a real treat.
 > ...
>
> Not the same scenery by a bunch, but the lateener sail rigged boat was
> what I first sailed on, at age 12 or so.  Parents and I took a trip by
> President Lines, stopped in Egypt a bit.  While we toured, we did a
> sunset cruise on the Nile in a good size dhow.  I have the slides taken
> then, at the pyramids, and around Cairo.  Humm, ought to get those out
> again, interesting stuff.  From before the whole sphinx complex was
> completed, ships found, etc.

--
John (jkohnen@...)
There is no free lunch.






--
Gerard Mittelstaedt  -- mittel48@...
McAllen, Texas
USA