Topics

Borden's Glue

Edited

I was wondering if seeing how well the Petey Dink CM worked after it was built was what made you decide to use Katydidn't/Petey Dink CM as the basis for a SOF dinghy. I was sure impressed by how ell the Musson's lapstrake Katydidn't worked when saw it in action. Lots of freeboard with two adults aboard (see attachment), might even hold two Coots! <g>

Tows good too:

https://flic.kr/p/dKrVs3

https://flic.kr/p/dKrVs3

Yeah, cold molding seems like a pretty tedious way to build a boat. Almost like building two boats to get one. If you were gonna build a fleet...

I think Katydidn't would be a good boat to build using Platt Monfort's Geodesic Airolite method, with light framing stiffened with Kevlar roving. That's be the lightest construction, but a light enough boat could be built using more traditonal SOF construction, or the plywood web frame method Dave Gentry uses.

Although Katydidn't tows well, I'd like to be able to haul a dinghy aboard Lazy Jack when the weather gets unpleasant, or to maneuver in tight places. I think I could carry one on top of LJ's lazaret hatch...

One of us should build one! ;o)

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Photos/Katydidnt/

On 1/3/2020 11:49 AM, Randy T wrote:
John,
The decision on which dingy to build has been a long and tortured path although the goal has not changed, the need for a dingy when I cruise the inland passage either in my plastic boat or the Tolman.  Whatever I build, the dingy will need to be light enough that I can pull it on-board by myself and small enough to fit on the foredeck.  A Cedar strip boat is relatively light weight and easy, if not tedious, to build.  The Katydidn’t was designed for 3/8 x 1 inch Cedar strips and can easily be built with 1/4 x 3/4 inch Cedar strips with glass inside and out.
The Pety Dink CM would also be easy to build but there are three issues that would have to be addressed.  I would need to either borrow John Guzzwell’s mold or build my own.
After reading Robert Morris’s book, Building Skin-On-Frame Boats, I decided that I could use the Katydidn’t as a starting point and I drew up a design that I call Peter Dink in homage to Peter Dinklage.  I would use steamed Oak ribs with Alaskan Yellow Cedar stringers.  The transoms would be 6mm plywood framed with Alaskan Yellow Cedar.  The knees, thwarts and just about everything else would be made from Alaskan Yellow Cedar since I have a couple hundred board feet of air dried 2x6’s in my woodshed.  I would use ballistic nylon and polyurethane varnish, most likely from Skinboats.org, for the skin.
Now if I only could finish the canoe in my garage I could get started on the dingy.  I have attached a photo of Dolly’s Pety Dink CM build by John.
Start every day off with a smile and get it over with. (W. C. Fields)