Topics

Book

elaineginader

Good afternoon everyone,

I'm wondering do any of you have the book, "My Ship is so Small" by Ann Davison?

Yipers! Surviving copies of Ms. Davidson's book must have golden pages. <sigh> Maybe you can get a copy through interlibrary loan, delivered to the Multnomah County Library in an armored truck. <g>

I saw her boat, Felicity Ann, at the last Port Townsend Festival. She's now based in Port Hadlock and being used to get women and girls involved in sailing. Alas, the organization's Web page isn't working right now, but they seem to have a presence on F******k. Contacting them may turn up a copy of Ms. Davidson's book you can borrow:

http://felicityann.org/

Nice boat! :o)

https://flic.kr/p/2hhw9Ta

https://flic.kr/p/KAXKqB

https://flic.kr/p/M9GcBs

On 3/3/2021 12:34 PM, elaine wrote:
Good afternoon everyone,
I'm wondering do any of you have the book, "My Ship is so Small" by Ann Davison?
To shorten winter, borrow some money due in spring. (W. J. Vogel)

Claire Acord

you should be able to get it on ILL, two copies in Port Townsend at least...cheers
Claire

elaineginader

Hey thank you Clair I'll contact them. Elaine

On Fri, Mar 5, 2021, 1:30 PM Claire Acord <whidbeyboatpainter@...> wrote:
you should be able to get it on ILL, two copies in Port Townsend at least...cheers
Claire

Claire Acord

Hi Elaine,
you will have to contact your local library and find out how they place a request for an Inter-library loan, they will find the closest copy of the book and order it, then you wait, sometimes a long time, and you will have the book for a limited time, no renewals or anything like that allowed.
hope it works out for you
cheers
Claire

Gerard Mittelstaedt

It appears the whole un-abridged text is available in

Great voyages in small boats: Solo transatlantic Hardcover –
published January 1, 1982
by Ann Davison (Author), David Lewis (Author), Hannes Lindemann (Author)

Publisher : J. de Graff (January 1, 1982)
Language : English
Hardcover : 612 pages
ISBN-10 : 0828600856
ISBN-13 : 978-0828600859
Item Weight : 2.45 pounds

Amazon has it available for just under $9.00

- and Amazon com review says: -- quote--
There are three fully complete (not abridged) accounts of challenging
sea voyages. The reason I bought this book, however, was to read Ann
Davison's insightful, humorous, frightful account of her solo Atlantic
crossing in 1953/54 in a 25 foot sloop titled "My Ship is so Small."
Her account of the people she meets, especially the way she is treated
by various men, is more engaging even than the trials of sailing so
far alone before GPS and many safety aids. One of the better sea
stories written. Highly recommended.
2 people found this helpful
-- end quote --

ABE books has it for $5.23 - used of course. ( I have done
business with both of these sources and have had good service with
both)

Great Voyages in Small Boats Solo Transatlantic
Ann Davison, David Lewis, Hannes Lindemann
Published by J. de Graff (1982)
ISBN 10: 0828600856ISBN 13: 9780828600859

Seller: Better World Books: West, Reno, NV, U.S.A.
Used hardcover
Condition: Good

US$ 5.23

-- - - LASTLY - - -
I have a substantial personal library and recognize the cover of the book.
It is somewhere in some bookcase located in 1 of 2 houses (yikes).

- Gerard Mittelstaedt - retired librarian and small sailboat enthusiast.
McAllen, Texas, USA

--
Gerard Mittelstaedt -- mittel48@gmail.com
McAllen, Texas

Thanks, Gerard. I just ordered a copy got myself. I've never read Ann Davidson's account, or Hannes Lindemann's (though I know about his crazy voyage), and it's been many decades since I read and thoroughly enjoyed) David Lewis's.

The book on ABE:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/saws98h8

Lewis:

https://drumler.com/famous-vertues/v19-cardinal-vertue/

Linemann:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ftajnw

On 3/6/2021 1:32 PM, Gerard M wrote:
It appears the whole un-abridged text is available in
Great voyages in small boats: Solo transatlantic Hardcover –
published January 1, 1982
by Ann Davison (Author), David Lewis (Author), Hannes Lindemann (Author)
Publisher : J. de Graff (January 1, 1982)
Language : English
Hardcover : 612 pages
ISBN-10 : 0828600856
ISBN-13 : 978-0828600859
Item Weight : 2.45 pounds
A man who is "ill-adjusted" to the world is always on the verge of finding himself. One who is adjusted to the world never finds himself, but gets to be a cabinet minister. (Hermann Hesse)

elaineginader

Thank you Gerald I ordered mine. By the time I receive it I'll be done with the good read I have.

Elaine