Bolger Clam Skiff (was: Electric punt)

Riptide Pete built a Clam Skiff for his brother a while back, and I sent him the plans for the 15'6" version. They seem to be real good workboats, but designed for more power than I'd want to use. But I suppose they'd be considered "low-power" boats by today's standards. <g>

"Punt" has become a generic term for a small boat with two square ends, interchangeable with "pram". <shrug> In a recent episode of Endeavour" young Morse takes a lady friend out in a Thames punt. Long, slender and graceful. :o) (the boat, not the lady <g>) A far cry from the short, fat "punt" dinghies, as also are the same dinghies when they're called "prams" far different from the Scandinavian praams, with their long forward overhangs and clinker round-bottom hulls...

On 5/9/2022 7:42 AM, OzGoose Ed wrote:
Thanks, John, the Duckworks site did not have a profile plan. The LWL drawing on the site you sent does show the Curlew transom in the water at load. A true punt would have more rocker and overhang at the stern as well as the bow. But such would make hanging a motor awkward. They were rowed or poled. What does a fit human produce? 1/4 hp if I remember? Got to design for that. Especially beam to width ratio…all the early power yachts were long and narrow. Electric , steam,and human power all are served by long skinny boats.
I have one more boat in me, and the boat shop ( which my wife thinks is a garage) has a hole in it.  I think it will see one more boat coming out of it. My nephew is terrified of a heeling sailboat, and will never go with me on the Goose if the wind is> than 5mph. However… he really needs a clam/crab Skiff. ...
I revisited “Boats with an Open Mind” last night… Bolgers “Clam  Skiff “popped up.
So I think I’ll build the Clam Skiff for said nephew, set it up with a 9.9 hp OB , and forbid him from ever putting more than 20 hp on it. I contacted HH Payson , and they do appear to have paper plans. There is now a 15’6” version in addition to the 18’ original. It’s a prosaic boat, but has a nice sheer sweep, and is not easily confused with a beer can.
Dissent is what rescues democracy from a quiet death behind closed doors. (Lewis H. Lapham)

Edward Epifani

Love the Aurey skiff. Same deal.
I’m headed to pine hollow reservoir tomorrow, hope there is wind.

On May 9, 2022, at 2:23 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

[...]

Here's Bolger's interpretation of an Auray punt, based on a Norman workboat from the Gulf of Morbihan:

https://www.instantboats.com/product/auray-punt-9-9x4-2/

On 5/9/2022 7:48 PM, OzGoose Ed wrote:
Love the Aurey skiff. Same deal.
I’m headed to pine hollow reservoir tomorrow, hope there is wind.
The greatest analgesic, soporific, stimulant, tranquilizer, narcotic, and to some extent even antibiotic -- in short, the closest thing to a genuine panacea -- known to medical science is work. (Thomas Szasz)

elaineginader

I like the looks of the Gloucester Bay.

Elaine

On Tue, May 10, 2022, 2:08 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Here's Bolger's interpretation of an Auray punt, based on a Norman
workboat from the Gulf of Morbihan:

https://www.instantboats.com/product/auray-punt-9-9x4-2/

On 5/9/2022 7:48 PM, OzGoose Ed wrote:
> Love the Aurey skiff. Same deal.
> I’m headed to pine hollow reservoir tomorrow, hope there is wind.
The greatest analgesic, soporific, stimulant, tranquilizer, narcotic,
and to some extent even antibiotic -- in short, the closest thing to a
genuine panacea -- known to medical science is work. (Thomas Szasz)

elaineginader

Opps Gloucester Lite Dory.

On Tue, May 10, 2022, 2:15 PM elaineginader via groups.io <elaineginader=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I like the looks of the Gloucester Bay.

Elaine

On Tue, May 10, 2022, 2:08 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Here's Bolger's interpretation of an Auray punt, based on a Norman
workboat from the Gulf of Morbihan:

https://www.instantboats.com/product/auray-punt-9-9x4-2/

On 5/9/2022 7:48 PM, OzGoose Ed wrote:
> Love the Aurey skiff. Same deal.
> I’m headed to pine hollow reservoir tomorrow, hope there is wind.
The greatest analgesic, soporific, stimulant, tranquilizer, narcotic,
and to some extent even antibiotic -- in short, the closest thing to a
genuine panacea -- known to medical science is work. (Thomas Szasz)

Edward Epifani

Yeah I built one. Rows like a witch. Not really suited for anything else, even a passenger. If you go forward unawares it’ll twitch you overboard so fast you won’t know what happened. But a delightful rower.

On May 10, 2022, at 2:16 PM, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

Opps Gloucester Lite Dory.

On Tue, May 10, 2022, 2:15 PM elaineginader via groups.io <elaineginader=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
I like the looks of the Gloucester Bay.

Elaine

On Tue, May 10, 2022, 2:08 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Here's Bolger's interpretation of an Auray punt, based on a Norman
workboat from the Gulf of Morbihan:

https://www.instantboats.com/product/auray-punt-9-9x4-2/

On 5/9/2022 7:48 PM, OzGoose Ed wrote:
> Love the Aurey skiff. Same deal.
> I’m headed to pine hollow reservoir tomorrow, hope there is wind.
The greatest analgesic, soporific, stimulant, tranquilizer, narcotic,
and to some extent even antibiotic -- in short, the closest thing to a
genuine panacea -- known to medical science is work. (Thomas Szasz)

Phil Bolger figured the Gloucester Light Dory was his ticket into Heaven. In form and function it's close to perfect, for it's intended use. :o) The only fly in the ointment is that it isn't an "instant" boat. When he tried to make an instant light dory the result may have been at least as good a boat as the originals, but it lost the beauty. :o(

https://www.instantboats.com/product/gloucester-light-dory-15-6-x-4-0/

On 5/10/2022 2:15 PM, elaine wrote:
Opps Gloucester Lite Dory.
On Tue, May 10, 2022, 2:15 PM elaine wrote:
I like the looks of the Gloucester Bay.
Love is the delightful interval between meeting a beautiful girl and discovering she looks like a haddock. (John Barrymore)

Pete Leenhouts

I built the 18-foot Bolger Clam Skiff (sometimes referred to as the "Work Skiff") for my brother. John Kohnen did indeed give me the plans for the 15-foot version, which I plan to build as a dinghy for RIPTIDE.

The Flickr album of the build is here: Boat - Bolger Work Skiff for My Brother | Flickr

There was another Clam Skiff on Port Townsend Bay. I took a few pictures of it before it's owner moved out of the area (but he told me he was leaving the boat for a local friend). Here's the album: Boat - Bolger Work Skiff | Flickr

My brother uses a 30hp Mercury four stroke outboard on his 18-foot boat, which makes it scary fast. I think a 9.9 or 15 hp outboard would work fine.

Bolger wrote that the 18-foot version could be built in a month of weekends, which is probably correct, and out of lumber yard ply and wood. Mine took (years) longer than that! (laughing).

Pete
Port Ludlow WA
A Distant Coot

I’m headed to pine hollow reservoir tomorrow, hope there is wind.
> On May 9, 2022, at 2:23 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
>
> Riptide Pete built a Clam Skiff for his brother a while back, and I sent him the plans for the 15'6" version. They seem to be real good workboats, but designed for more power than I'd want to use. But I suppose they'd be considered "low-power" boats by today's standards. <g>
>
> "Punt" has become a generic term for a small boat with two square ends, interchangeable with "pram". <shrug> In a recent episode of Endeavour" young Morse takes a lady friend out in a Thames punt. Long, slender and graceful. :o) (the boat, not the lady <g>) A far cry from the short, fat "punt" dinghies, as also are the same dinghies when they're called "prams" far different from the Scandinavian praams, with their long forward overhangs and clinker round-bottom hulls...
>
>> On 5/9/2022 7:42 AM, OzGoose Ed wrote:
>> Thanks, John, the Duckworks site did not have a profile plan. The LWL drawing on the site you sent does show the Curlew transom in the water at load. A true punt would have more rocker and overhang at the stern as well as the bow. But such would make hanging a motor awkward. They were rowed or poled. What does a fit human produce? 1/4 hp if I remember? Got to design for that. Especially beam to width ratio…all the early power yachts were long and narrow. Electric , steam,and human power all are served by long skinny boats.
>> I have one more boat in me, and the boat shop ( which my wife thinks is a garage) has a hole in it.  I think it will see one more boat coming out of it. My nephew is terrified of a heeling sailboat, and will never go with me on the Goose if the wind is> than 5mph. However… he really needs a clam/crab Skiff.
>> I revisited “Boats with an Open Mind” last night… Bolgers “Clam  Skiff “popped up.
>> So I think I’ll build the Clam Skiff for said nephew, set it up with a 9.9 hp OB , and forbid him from ever putting more than 20 hp on it. I contacted HH Payson , and they do appear to have paper plans. There is now a 15’6” version in addition to the 18’ original. It’s a prosaic boat, but has a nice sheer sweep, and is not easily confused with a beer can.
>
> --
> John <jkohnen@...>
> Dissent is what rescues democracy from a quiet death behind closed doors. (Lewis H. Lapham)
>

> --
> https://www.avg.com

Pete built a gold-plater Clam Skiff for his brother. :o) Phil Bolger probably never imagined anyone would put so much effort into making a workboat look so good. <g>

https://flic.kr/p/ufQqeo

What power does the other Crab Skiff have, Pete? How does it get along? The motor looks a good deal smaller than the 30 hp. your brother uses.

https://www.flickr.com/photos/old_salt7/albums/72157646777724582
https://www.flickr.com/photos/old_salt7/albums/72157650916422631
Bolger wrote that the 18-foot version could be built in a month of weekends, which is probably correct, and out of lumber yard ply and wood. Mine took (years) longer than that! (laughing).
His heart was bound in oak and triple brass who first committed a fragile bark to the raging sea... (Horace)

Pete Leenhouts

The green one has a 15hp outboard (IIRC), John. It runs very well through the chop on lower Port Townsend Bay. For use as a dinghy,. I'd use a 9.9 or a 15hp with the 15-foot model - no need to go REALLY fast.

Gold-plated - yes, the 18-foot version I built was 'glassed inside and out and very heavily built (especially the transom-to-side joint, which has three layers of glass on it over an especially large fillet). For a quick build of the 15-foot version, I think I'd glass just the exterior chines and the bottom with 9-ounce cloth in addition to the interior joints. No need to glass all surfaces inside and out. Bolger says to use latex paint and just let it wear off, painting again when it is mostly gone. I think I'd add a self-draining well at the back, too, just in case the boat took a boarding sea over the transom.

IMG_9477 - Presque Isle WI - Oxbow Lake - 2016 Fishing Trip - Bolger Work Skiff - Pete Leenhouts.JPG
18 foot model - 30 hp engine. This is the one I built.  I usually put 4-50 pounds of sand (in a sandbag) as far up in the bow when I am single-handing it.  The red boot strip, IIRC, is 2 inches wide. The bow is supposed to run out of the water as shown. I handle this boat carefully and rarely run it at top speed.
IMG_8271CE1 - Chippewa Falls WI - Glen Loch Lake - Launching the Philip Bolger design nr 606 WORK SKIFF - Jon and Keri Leenhouts.jpg
My brother and his daughter in the boat, with the 30 hp Merc.  The interior was later painted a light gray - that white was just too bright. The build album for this boat is here: Boat - Bolger Work Skiff for My Brother | Flickr

This is the 18-foot model (I didn't build this one) with what I believe is a 15 hp 4-stroke Honda outboard engine being drawn up on the beach at Port Hadlock on the south end of Port Townsend Bay. At the time, it was being used 2-3 times a week for crabbing, launching from a trailer each time. Find more pictures of this boat here: Boat - Bolger Work Skiff | Flickr

Pete Leenhouts
A Distant Coot