Topics

Bob Didn't Make It

Bob Mitsch lost his battle with the covid around midnight last night. <sigh> This is the report from Dick's wife, Jan:

"Dr. said he was strong otherwise, but his lungs just did [not] clear.
The blood pressure Meds and the ventilator was what was keeping him alive. He passed within a half hour after they took him off. They went by his Advanced Directive for his choice of what to do & Craig, Janice & Christy discussed it together too. The Dr. said he wouldn’t be able to withstand the ventilator much longer."

When Bob was first put on the ventilator the Doc told Janice that 50% of people put on ventilators for the covid don't survive. We all hoped that Bob's toughness and cussedness would be enough to win this fight...

Bob was a great guy, the quintessential Coot. If someone asked you what a Coot looks like, you'd probably send them a picture of Bob. <g> He and his brother, Dick, have been Coots since the very beginning. Bob will be sorely missed.

Take this deadly virus seriously! We don't want to lose anyone else.

Great men are seldom over-scrupulous in the arrangement of their attire. (Charles Dickens)

David Graybeal

Damn it Damn it Damn it.

One of my favorite people. He will be sorely missed!!!

Dan W

So sad, so very sad. Bob is the closest person I know of to lose the fight with the virus.

I'll miss his big smile and all the great times we talked boats, wonderful man.

Save us a good space on the beach for when we meet again.

JetManDan

[...]

Myles Twete

It's sad to hear this news John.
I can't imagine being the one who passed this disease on to him and learning that he didn't make it.
I have cousins who have been rationalizing lots of family gatherings without masks. It always comes back to her saying her 95yr old mom would rather see all the gr-grandkids and accept the risk. Yet, the real issue is how could my cousin live with herself if after one of these gatherings she lost her mother and her 2 son-in-laws who are at greater risk. She needs to realize how real this is.

Thanks for keeping us informed John.

-Myles

Richard Green

I’m sorry.

Rich

On Jan 15, 2021, at 4:52 PM, Myles Twete <matwete@comcast.net> wrote:

It's sad to hear this news John.
I can't imagine being the one who passed this disease on to him and learning that he didn't make it.
I have cousins who have been rationalizing lots of family gatherings without masks. It always comes back to her saying her 95yr old mom would rather see all the gr-grandkids and accept the risk. Yet, the real issue is how could my cousin live with herself if after one of these gatherings she lost her mother and her 2 son-in-laws who are at greater risk. She needs to realize how real this is.

Thanks for keeping us informed John.

-Myles

Case Turner

This Picture says it all! I’ll toast Bob tonight with a tasty beer.

Enjoyed many evenings with Bob around the campfires at messabouts, long after all the other Coots went to bed.

Case.

On Jan 15, 2021, at 4:23 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

[...]

<BobM-2014.jpg>

pelicancolvin

My heart goes out to Bob's family. We now all know people that have had this plague and survived and someone that didnt.  It is a terrible plague that is not done with us yet.  Wear your masks, keep your distance so that when the state can get us vaccines we will still be able to receive them.  Stay safe friends.

On Fri, Jan 15, 2021 at 5:34 PM, Case Turner
<dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:
This Picture says it all! I’ll toast Bob tonight with a tasty beer.

Enjoyed many evenings with Bob around the campfires at messabouts, long after all the other Coots went to bed.

Case.

> On Jan 15, 2021, at 4:23 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
>
> Bob Mitsch lost his battle with the covid around midnight last night. <sigh> This is the report from Dick's wife, Jan:
>
> "Dr. said he was strong otherwise, but his lungs just did [not] clear.
> The blood pressure Meds and the ventilator was what was keeping him alive. He passed within a half hour after they took him off. They went by his Advanced Directive for his choice of what to do & Craig, Janice & Christy discussed it together too. The Dr. said he wouldn’t be able to withstand the ventilator much longer."
>
> When Bob was first put on the ventilator the Doc told Janice that 50% of people put on ventilators for the covid don't survive. We all hoped that Bob's toughness and cussedness would be enough to win this fight...
>
> Bob was a great guy, the quintessential Coot. If someone asked you what a Coot looks like, you'd probably send them a picture of Bob. <g> He and his brother, Dick, have been Coots since the very beginning. Bob will be sorely missed.
>
> Take this deadly virus seriously! We don't want to lose anyone else.
>
> --
> John <jkohnen@...>
> Great men are seldom over-scrupulous in the arrangement of their attire. (Charles Dickens)
>

> --
> https://www.avg.com
>

> <BobM-2014.jpg>

Jamie Orr

What David said - Damn it.

So sorry to hear this, he was a real nice guy.  My sympathies to his wife and family.

Jamie

Jhcalbany@aol.com

He was one of the good guys. Fair winds Bob.

cherrill boissonou

I enjoyed Bob’s company the past few years and was moved to paint his portrait as I saw him: a man of the sea with a kindly twinkle in his eye. Sorry I didn’t get to share more time with him.
Earl Boissonou

On Jan 15, 2021, at 8:00 PM, Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany@...> wrote:

He was one of the good guys. Fair winds Bob.

Bob did like his beer! :o)

On 1/15/2021 5:34 PM, Case wrote:
This Picture says it all! I’ll toast Bob tonight with a tasty beer.
Enjoyed many evenings with Bob around the campfires at messabouts, long after all the other Coots went to bed.
He was a bold man that first eat an oyster. (Jonathan Swift)

I had a long talk with Jan last night. Dick is having a hard time. He and Bob were always close. <sigh>

Bob wanted his ashes spread at sea. Craig is gonna take the C-Dory out and fulfill that wish. I suggested that it would be fitting to take Bob's ashes out from Depoe bay, since Bob enjoyed the shows there so much. Craig also wants to have a Coot get-together and wake at his and James's place at Tidewater. I suggested that we wait until warmer weather, and/or milder covid conditions.

I've got a lot of good photos of Bob. It's hard to choose one for this message. The shot I've attached was taken by Jim C at Depoe Bay in 2018.

Looking for photos of Bob, I was reminded of those times when we went out for the sail-by at Port Townsend, with me sailing and Bob taking the photos with my camera. Good times! :o) Did we ever tell you about the crazy lady who came along once? <g>

Resistentialism: The theory that inanimate objects demonstrate hostile behavior toward us. (Coined by Paul Jennings from Latin res (thing) + French resister (to resist) + existentialism (a kind of philosophy))

Around Xmas there were stories about people traveling to get together for the Holiday. One woman was quoted in more than one story. She was in Florida, or someplace near, and was gonna fly to Oregon for Xmas with her mother. When asked if she was worried about the Virus she said, "my mom's worth it." Worth taking the chance of bringing a deadly disease into her home? <sigh> I hope that gal's mother survived unscathed...

Be careful out there! For yourself and others.

On 1/15/2021 4:52 PM, Myles T wrote:
It's sad to hear this news John.
I can't imagine being the one who passed this disease on to him and learning that he didn't make it.
I have cousins who have been rationalizing lots of family gatherings without masks. It always comes back to her saying her 95yr old mom would rather see all the gr-grandkids and accept the risk. Yet, the real issue is how could my cousin live with herself if after one of these gatherings she lost her mother and her 2 son-in-laws who are at greater risk. She needs to realize how real this is.
An expert is a man who has made all the mistakes which can be made in a very narrow field. (Niels Bohr)

Richard(Dick)

We'd like to Thank You all for you nice thoughts for Bob.
It's still so unreal......Richard will truly miss him; their phone visits a couple times a week (during Covid times), their birthday Lunches they've done for a few years.
Time will heal the heart aching, but Memories can never be taken away.
Thank You again.... Be Careful, Be Safe, wear your masks and wash, wash, your hands; It's horrible virus............Richard & Jan

Electri-Cal

A fond farewell to a good man, thanks to Bob for some very entertaining times.  Likewise the closest covid casualty I know, he will be missed.  My sincere sympathies to the Mich family for their loss. Another crossing of the bar, as all must do,

Remembering, " To Absent Friends"  ----------  Cal

Teresa Pittman

So sorry to lose him. Prayers of comfort for his family.

“Throw out the radio and take the fiddle down from the wall.”
— Andrew Nelson Lytle, Tennessee, 1930