Boating Books

Larry Barker

Greetings, it's been years since I've been to any of the Coots' activities but thought of you all when this came up.
Back in the day when we had a larger boat I collected a bunch of books - I love books.  Now clearing out the bookcases and decided it was time for some of them to go.  I'm keeping a few to use just in case our SW Oregon lakes ever return but these do need to go.   Library isn't taking donations these days and I'm afraid there just aren't many sailors down this way.  Hate to see them go in the trash.
I get up to the Willamette Valley several times a year and could drop them off if someone (John?) wanted to keep or distribute them.  Just let me know if there's any interest and I'll get them there.  I'd like to think that some day the creeks will rise, the smoke will clear, the days of masks will pass and we'll join you folks on your northern waters again.

-- Larry Barker

The list:

Boat Building & Rigging
-----------------------
Sail's Things That Work (100 improvements)
From a Bare Hull, Mate 1976 (Based on a Westsail 32)
Ultralight Boatbuilding, Hill
Build the instant Catboat, Payson
Sailor's Sketchbook, Bingham (small projects)
Sailmaker's Apprentice, Marino (everything you wanted to know)
This old Boat, Casey (restoring & refitting an old fiberglass boat)
Marine Diesel Engines, Calder

How To Sail
-----------
Sailing in Windy Weather, Richard Henderson
Small Boat Sailing, Sports Illustrated, David & Brad Dellenhaugh
Nigel Calder's Cruising Handbook

Cruising Stories
----------------
(I'm sure I have more somewhere but haven't found them yet)
Beyond the West Horizon, Hiscock
Around the World in Wanderer III, Hiscock
Northwest Passages, Bruce Calhoun 1969

Navigation
----------
American Practical Navigator, Bowditch 1962
Sight Reduction Tables for Air Navigation Latitudes 39-89, Declinations 0-29 (Pub No 249, Vol 3)

Cruising Guides
---------------
(These are older, mostly from the 1990s)
A Cruising Guide to Puget Sound, Scherer 1995
Boating Guide to the Lower Columbia & Willamette Rivers (Oregon State Marine Board, etc.) 1992
Gunkholing in Desolation Sound and Princess Louisa, Bailey-Cummings 1989
Border Boating (San Juan & Gulf Islands), Bultmann 1979
Cruising the Columbia & Snake Rivers, Nelson & LeMieux 1986
Exploring Vancouver Island's West Coast, Douglass 1994
Cruising Guide to British Columbia Vol 2, Desolation Sound & Discovery Islands, Wolferstan 1994
Cruising Guide to British Columbia Vol 2, Sunshile Coast, Wolferstan 1994

David Graybeal

That's a lovely collection. I really hope we can figure out a way to get them into the Coot Library, or parceled out to individuals if John doesn't want them for the library.

When I am a bit more comfortable with public contact, and we start having in-person messabouts as we used to, I've got some books from Pat Patteson and some from DennisMac that need to find homes also.

I hope that day comes soon! I miss our events. I miss the Coots. Yes... even the misguided sort that live on the Wrong Side Of The Mountains... <G>

Case Turner

Didn’t they start a library at the boat houses in Toledo?

Case

Sent from not here

On Sep 9, 2021, at 11:41 AM, David Graybeal via groups.io <harbordavid@...> wrote:

That's a lovely collection. I really hope we can figure out a way to get them into the Coot Library, or parceled out to individuals if John doesn't want them for the library.

When I am a bit more comfortable with public contact, and we start having in-person messabouts as we used to, I've got some books from Pat Patteson and some from DennisMac that need to find homes also.

I hope that day comes soon! I miss our events. I miss the Coots. Yes... even the misguided sort that live on the Wrong Side Of The Mountains... <G>

The floating library in Toledo is still in the works. maybe this winter it'll get off the ground, so to speak. That'll be the home for the Coot Library books. The Retired Old Geezers have a good, dry place where they've already got a bunch of books waiting. I'll forward Larry's offer to them. I can handle getting Larry's books to Toledo, if he can't. I don't have room for any more books here! <g>

On 9/9/2021 11:41 AM, David G wrote:
That's a lovely collection. I really hope we can figure out a way to get them into the Coot Library, or parceled out to individuals if John doesn't want them for the library.
When I am a bit more comfortable with public contact, and we start having in-person messabouts as we used to, I've got some books from Pat Patteson and some from DennisMac that need to find homes also.
I hope that day comes soon! I miss our events. I miss the Coots. Yes... even the misguided sort that live on the Wrong Side Of The Mountains... <G>
If there are no dogs in Heaven, then when I die I want to go where they went. (Will Rogers)

Hank

Wondering what happened to the Coot library at Toledo idea.  I have a box of Coot books that are in the way of my downsizing, too.

Hank Burroughs

On Thu, Sep 9, 2021 at 11:36 AM Larry Barker <ore540@...> wrote:

[...]

From a Bare Hull, Mate 1976 (Based on a Westsail 32)
[...]

Sounds good, I'm happy if they can be used.   John, I'll touch base next time I head north - may be a while - and we'll see how best to hand them off.  See you all one of these times.
-- Larry

I'll see if there's room in the Retired Old Geezers' book storage for the boxes of Coots' Library books people have cluttering up their homes. The floating library in Toledo WILL happen.

On 9/9/2021 2:51 PM, Hank wrote:
Wondering what happened to the Coot library at Toledo idea.  I have a box of Coot books that are in the way of my downsizing, too.
If perfection were needed for friendship the world would be a wilderness for our love. (Thomas Jefferson)