Topics

Boat Launch Today at Noon!

Launching and christening og the Platt Monfort Geodesic Airolite Classic 12 the Retired Old Guys built for me. At the Toledo Boathouses.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAVmsSP

--
John (@Jkohnen)
What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it sweetness. (John Steinbeck)

Claire Acord

And her name?
fair winds and smooth seas to you!
cheers
Claire

Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org
Claire Acord

On Tue, Dec 10, 2019 at 9:13 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Launching and christening og the Platt Monfort Geodesic Airolite Classic
12 the Retired Old Guys built for me. At the Toledo Boathouses.

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmAVmsSP

--
John (jkohnen@...)
What good is the warmth of summer, without the cold of winter to give it
sweetness. (John Steinbeck)

roseandthistlecustom@...

Thanks for the pictures, beautiful boat.

The boat launch went off very well. We had a good crowd of both Coots and Retired Old Geezers, plus the press and a couple of Officials from the Port (Chuck and Bud). Andrew presided, and performed one of his best christening ceremonies yet! :o) Newly christened Whimsy hit the water and I took her for a spin. She rows like a dream! Tracks well (good for poor oarsmen like me <g>), pulls easily, and has a nice long glide. We don't know the weight, but I'm betting well under 40 pounds, and maybe even close to the design 31 lb. (IIRC). I'm sure I'm gonna get a lot of good use out of her. :o)

The pizza afterwards was good too. :o)

Thanks to the ROGs for building me a Good Boat, and thanks to everyone who showed up for the fun toady.

I should given my camera to someone better than Bud. <g> But he got one sorta decent shot of me during Whimsy's maiden row. More photos to follow soon...

--
John (@Jkohnen)
Winter is icumen in,/Lhude sing Goddamm,/Raineth drop and staineth slop,/And how the wind doth ramm!/Sing: Goddam. (Ezra Pound)

Richard Green

With the sou’wester, pic could be a Gloucester fisherman heading out to check the lines! Great photo.

Rich

On Dec 11, 2019, at 1:03 AM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

[...]

<023-Whimsy.jpg>

Electri-Cal

Big congrats John.  Looks like a well chosen project, with a well chosen build crew.  Perfect weight for us senior coots, and easy to handle too.  A minn kota is a no brainer here, and a leaboard sail could be a good fit.  I'd use one like my sabot for a good starter size, if the sailing part got considered.

Later we might take your new one and Surprise for a lake photo cruise.  maybe I could get a couple photos for your file, like you did for mine.  Great to have a phone full to show, plus some better ones at places of interest.  I'd love to see us at Paulina ( BURRR!! ), Siuslaw, or a coastal lake later with trees going off this spring. Lemolo would be spectacular as a shallow lake trip, have you been there before? Presume so, but curious.

Anyhow, more praise for a well done new coot boat with great potential, good choice John. ------  Cal

--
Thanks, I will reply to all mail as possible ---  Cal