Beach camping suggestions?

Josh

We're trying to find places to take Good Girl for short camping trips this summer. Would appreciate any advice people can share.
Thanks,
Josh & Rose

Jove Lachman-Curl

There is a lovely little beach on the east side of Waldo that I kayak camped once, It is about half way between the two official campsites, no road access, but there is a trail that passes. we saw one hiker pass by.
Small pebbles, small enough to be comfy to lay on in the sun. A rocky point to get out in the wind.
Mosquitos dictate.... don't visit till late june or later when they die off.
No engines on Waldo, as I'm sure you know.
image.png

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 10:00 AM Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:
We're trying to find places to take Good Girl for short camping trips this summer. Would appreciate any advice people can share.
Thanks,
Josh & Rose

Josh

Thanks, Waldo should be worth checking out.

On Mon, May 17, 2021, 10:54 AM Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:
There is a lovely little beach on the east side of Waldo that I kayak camped once, It is about half way between the two official campsites, no road access, but there is a trail that passes. we saw one hiker pass by.
Small pebbles, small enough to be comfy to lay on in the sun. A rocky point to get out in the wind.
Mosquitos dictate.... don't visit till late june or later when they die off.
No engines on Waldo, as I'm sure you know.
image.png

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 10:00 AM Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:
We're trying to find places to take Good Girl for short camping trips this summer. Would appreciate any advice people can share.
Thanks,
Josh & Rose

Case Turner

Umm the mosquitos don't die off in June. They are ravenous there until September. We visit Charlton Lake aost weekly which is right next door and if you're not on the water you best have Deet or gasoline from May-Sept. This year is going to be bad due to the mild winter.

Case

Sent from not here

On May 17, 2021, at 12:21 PM, Josh <roseandthistlecustom@...> wrote:

[...]

Case knows better than me for mosquitos. He's clearly been there more than I.
I've had luck with them being mild in July and August. But I might be just less sensitive.
I have been eaten alive up there at the end of May, early June.
Mosquitos live for less than a week, so once the puddles dry up, the population dives to some extent.
-Jove

On Mon, May 17, 2021 at 12:39 PM Case Turner <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:
[...]

Electric motors are OK on Waldo. Wait until late August, at least, to avoid the mosquitoes. They'll just be waking up hungry as the snow melts in late June. <g>

One of my favorite names for a fast vessel is HMS Mosquidobit. Conjures visions of someone running like hell trying to escape a cloud of the nasty little buggers. <g>

https://military.wikia.org/wiki/HMS_Mosquidobit_(1813)

Alas, the ship was probably named for a community in Nova Scotia, whose name has nothing to do with biting insects. <sigh>

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Musquodoboit_Harbour,_Nova_Scotia

On 5/17/2021 10:54 AM, Jove wrote:
There is a lovely little beach on the east side of Waldo that I kayak camped once, It is about half way between the two official campsites, no road access, but there is a trail that passes. we saw one hiker pass by.
Small pebbles, small enough to be comfy to lay on in the sun. A rocky point to get out in the wind.
Mosquitos dictate.... don't visit till late june or later when they die off.
No engines on Waldo, as I'm sure you know.
It is the dull man who is always sure, and the sure man who is always dull. (H. L. Mencken)

Lee Tapper

Sand Island on the Columbia river across from St. Helens has camping and a nice dock. There are also launching ramps in the area.

We're trying to find places to take Good Girl for short camping trips this summer. Would appreciate any advice people can share.
Thanks,
Josh & Rose

cherrill boissonou

The lakes south of Florence from Honeyman on are great boat lakes with either camping or cabin rentals nearby.