Topics

Artificial Sinew

Andrew, and anyone else who may know: where do you get artificial sinew, and what size is appropriate for small boats? Amazon sells it, but there are a whole lot of different ones to choose from...

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=artificial+sinew&;ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Our talk of skin on frame boats has inspired one of Us to give building a Shenandoah Whitehall a try.

I get up every morning determined both to change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning the day difficult. (E. B. White)

Case Turner

This is what I have used on mine.

If I build another I want to give  the heat stick tape stuff a try at the frames and gunnels and maybe even the stern and stem.

Case

Sent from not here

On Nov 21, 2020, at 11:33 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

Andrew, and anyone else who may know: where do you get artificial sinew, and what size is appropriate for small boats? Amazon sells it, but there are a whole lot of different ones to choose from...

https://smile.amazon.com/s?k=artificial+sinew&ref=nb_sb_noss_1

Our talk of skin on frame boats has inspired one of Us to give building a Shenandoah Whitehall a try.

I get up every morning determined both to change the world and to have one hell of a good time. Sometimes this makes planning the day difficult. (E. B. White)

Dirt

Case Turner

I should clarify I’d still use the artificial sinew
For holding the frame together.

Case

Sent from not here

--
Dirt

Andrew Linn

The guys I used to use went out of business. I bought some off Amazon I didn't like, it was yellow and braided instead of flat. Even braided it wasn't any stronger than the 70lbs stuff I used to use. Plus, being braided, it was rougher and had more friction to it, so it was more likely to snag and snarl instead of pull smoothly into a knot. It was only $9/roll, so I thought I was saving money. Ha ha on me.

I see a lot of 30lbs test stuff on that amazon link you sent. I'd recommend finding 70lbs test.

Like Case said: That stuff from Treasure Gurus looks right. I'd go with that. I usually use a fathom (2 yards) per knot. The canoes I build now require a few less than 35 knots (70 yards). Estimate your usage and buy it all at once. Nothing sucks worse than waiting for parts.

As a side note: People don't usually treat the frames and stringers on SoF boats as it just adds weight and expense. Just remember: Once skinned, you'll have a heck of a time trying to do anything with the frame. For the boat I am about to start building, I am painting the skin a light beige. I've decided to paint the frame flat black. It's going to look great.

https://smile.amazon.com/Artificial-Sinew-Beading-Thread-Natural/dp/B07FL95S7C <https://smile.amazon.com/Artificial-Sinew-Beading-Thread-Natural/dp/B07FL95S7C>;

If I build another I want to give  the heat stick tape stuff a try at the frames and gunnels and maybe even the stern and stem.

Case

Thanks, Andy! So, 70 lb. test, not braided, waxed. That's something to file away for future reference.

On the flat black Willamette canoe did you use a thousand staples, or did you try the HeatNBond?

Are you still getting your fabric from George Dyson?

On 11/21/2020 12:07 PM, Andrew wrote:
The guys I used to use went out of business. I bought some off Amazon I didn't like, it was yellow and braided instead of flat. Even braided it wasn't any stronger than the 70lbs stuff I used to use. Plus, being braided, it was rougher and had more friction to it, so it was more likely to snag and snarl instead of pull smoothly into a knot. It was only $9/roll, so I thought I was saving money. Ha ha on me.
I see a lot of 30lbs test stuff on that amazon link you sent. I'd recommend finding 70lbs test.
Like Case said: That stuff from Treasure Gurus looks right. I'd go with that. I usually use a fathom (2 yards) per knot. The canoes I build now require a few less than 35 knots (70 yards). Estimate your usage and buy it all at once. Nothing sucks worse than waiting for parts.
One boat just leads to another. (John Kohnen)

Pete Leenhouts

A bit late, but...when my wife and I built two baidarka's at Corey Freedman's Skin Boat School in Anacortes in '07, we used artificial sinew, which is available via his website https://shop.skinboats.com  (and elsewhere, I'm sure). The baidarka's live outside under our deck, upside down when not in use, and show no signs of wear other than weathering.

Pete

Thanks, Andy! So, 70 lb. test, not braided, waxed. That's something to
file away for future reference.

On the flat black Willamette canoe did you use a thousand staples, or
did you try the HeatNBond?

Are you still getting your fabric from George Dyson?

On 11/21/2020 12:07 PM, Andrew wrote:
> The guys I used to use went out of business. I bought some off Amazon I
> didn't like, it was yellow and braided instead of flat. Even braided it
> wasn't any stronger than the 70lbs stuff I used to use. Plus, being
> braided, it was rougher and had more friction to it, so it was more
> likely to snag and snarl instead of pull smoothly into a knot. It was
> only $9/roll, so I thought I was saving money. Ha ha on me.
>
> I see a lot of 30lbs test stuff on that amazon link you sent. I'd
> recommend finding 70lbs test.
>
> Like Case said: That stuff from Treasure Gurus looks right. I'd go with
> that. I usually use a fathom (2 yards) per knot. The canoes I build now
> require a few less than 35 knots (70 yards). Estimate your usage and buy
> it all at once. Nothing sucks worse than waiting for parts.
One boat just leads to another. (John Kohnen)

Ok, I’m losing it here.  I read the subject line as ‘artificial stew’.  Took a few seconds to get a grip on that.

Rich

On Nov 21, 2020, at 11:50 AM, Case Turner <casesturner@...> wrote:

[...]

I used 1000 staples on that one, but I'm going to try the HeatNBond on the next. I bought a bunch of fabric from Dyson a few years ago, I am working through that. I might try another fabric on the next one.

I'm working on these with a friend, we spend about an hour a day on them, so they take time. To help move things along, I have been putting a dab of PL Premium on the joint,  clamping the stringers in place, and allowing them to cure overnight. The next day, I remove the clamps and the stringers are kept in place while we lash.

On 11/21/2020 12:21 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
[...]

Thanks, Pete. I hadn't heard of Corey's operation. The school's link is:

https://www.skinboats.org/

On 11/21/2020 12:32 PM, Pete L wrote:
A bit late, but...when my wife and I built two baidarka's at Corey Freedman's Skin Boat School in Anacortes in '07, we used artificial sinew, which is available via his website https://shop.skinboats.com (and elsewhere, I'm sure). The baidarka's live outside under our deck, upside down when not in use, and show no signs of wear other than weathering.
He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into hamburgers. (Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway)

Pete Leenhouts

Thanks for catching my incorrect link, John, sorry for the hassle!~ Pete

Thanks, Pete. I hadn't heard of Corey's operation. The school's link is:

https://www.skinboats.org/

On 11/21/2020 12:32 PM, Pete L wrote:
> A bit late, but...when my wife and I built two baidarka's at Corey
> Freedman's Skin Boat School in Anacortes in '07, we used artificial
> sinew, which is available via his website https://shop.skinboats.com
> (and elsewhere, I'm sure). The baidarka's live outside under our deck,
> upside down when not in use, and show no signs of wear other than
> weathering.

He got hold of the red meat of the language and turned it into
hamburgers. (Richard Gordon on Ernest Hemingway)

Both links are correct, Pete. Dot org for the school, dot com for the store.

On November 22, 2020 12:03:21 PM PST, Pete L wrote:
Thanks for catching my incorrect link, John, sorry for the hassle!~
Pete

https://www.skinboats.org/

https://shop.skinboats.com
A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought. (Lord Peter Wimsey)
Sent from some sort of mobile device.

Jove Lachman-Curl

When I did my SOF I did several wraps of 45lb B55 polyester bowstirng material, Not waxed, I then dabbed each knot with super thin super glue, and spar varnished the whole frame.
A laborious approach, but I can be very sure those knots are not coming loose
I already had the B50 and Artificial sinew from an archery project in the past, Bought here.
The B55 is formulated for very low stretch, not that that's necessary an advantage for lashings.
For the sinew they have 4 OZ roles and 50, 75 and 100 lb in case anyone needs that.
I wonder if any of these would make a suitable sail repair thread?
It's interesting that I'm seeing a Prop65 cancer warning on all the polyester products, sinew, bowstring, Sail thread.
-Jove