Topics

An Album

dan mulholland

I added an album, at the groups.io website:

The pictures are from another time, the  1960's, in Glenada and Florence, featuring our boyhood boat primarily.

Dan

Jove Lachman-Curl

A lovely set of memorable photos.
It's great to see kids getting on with it, I liked the plastic sail, and that edgenailed red cedar boat is very nice.
what was the plastic scavenged from I wonder?
It's great to see kids with that much freedom, much less common these days.
Thanks for sharing those.
-Jove

On Sun, Jun 7, 2020 at 9:54 PM dan mulholland <mulhollanddr@...> wrote:
I added an album, at the groups.io website:

The pictures are from another time, the  1960's, in Glenada and Florence, featuring our boyhood boat primarily.

Dan

That's a great collection of photos, Dan, thanks for sharing them. It was a lot more interesting over at the Coast in those days. But for most of the sixties I was too young to drive over there myself and explore, and my dad wasn't interested in junkyards and old outboard shops (Bill's is a coffee shop now, isn't it?), and after I got my license I was interested in less important things for too long...

Your strip-planked rowboat reminded me of the one Jerry Alvey had, though yours was more shapely. Jerry's is in the Museum in Coos Bay now:

https://flic.kr/s/aHskzKWhgK

With all the sawmills on the Coast it's not surprising that strip-planked boats were built. Boats could be cheaply built using strips could be cut from reject planks from the mills. That's what Chapelle wrote anyway, and he must have known. <g> In the Old Days they never put any goo between the strips.

On 6/7/2020 9:54 PM, Willys Dan wrote:
I added an album, at the groups.io website:
https://groups.io/g/oregoncoots/photos
The pictures are from another time, the  1960's, in Glenada and Florence, featuring our boyhood boat primarily.
The greatest tragedy in mankind's entire history may be the hijacking of morality by religion. (Arthur C. Clarke)

dan mulholland

A little more.  There was a fire at our house in Glenada, not much really, but enough to smoke up a lot of the pictures.  Wonderfully, the negatives made it; and showed up in a box my mother left in her attic in Eugene.   Being able to scan them into a computer is very useful.  Most if not all of these pictures were taken by my older brother, with a 35mm Ricoh camera.  It's amazing how much  detail there can be in a black and  white negative, revealed when enlarged.  He was a good photographer.

I also was able to go up the river to camp.  No resistance from parents; no phones, no permission to camp somewhere.  I remember rowing against the tide from Glenada to what's called the Kesey  house.  On  that trip, there was a huge (to us) striped bass on the bank.  The Kesey house had several creepy skeletons of raccoons or skunks inside.  Not a campsite!

My friend John, (Lee's younger brother, who's in some of the  pictures) learned about "lefty loosy, righty tighty" on  one of those Karnowski outboards, as it came loose, Lee told him  to tighten it up, and over it went.  Years later, in high school, we borrowed a newish 3 hp Evinrude to go up the river.  It was made in  Europe, and had the bad feature of a single clamp.  I remember it going over the side, and John reached over and grabbed it by the lower unit and hoisted it  into the boat.   Actually tying the engine to the  boat, well, hadn't thought of that.  Started right up.  Or, the trip with an old 5hp Johnson, when  the hard starting beast's cord came out during a starting attempt.  We probably waited for the tide to turn to head back.

Dan

Josh

Thank you for sharing.