Topics

Amazing Tool!

Pelican Dan is working on moving, or at least preserving, a Yahoo group for Willys Jeeps and I'm helping him. Looking through the attachments I stumbled upon this handy wrench. This sure would come in handy for working on my Indian built Royal Enfield! :o) Too bad it doesn't have Whitworth as well. <sigh> Also, they photographed the wrong side; I can't see the manufacturer's name so I can order one...

--
John (@Jkohnen)
There is no fun in doing nothing when you have nothing to do. (Jerome K. Jerome)

johnacord

I have one of those, and keep it in the same drawer as my left handed monkey wrench :-)

John(Acord)

I don't have any left handed monkey wrenches in my toolbox, but I've got several left handed Crescent wrenches.

Some of you may recall that the toolkit for old Volvos included a combination tire iron/Crescent wrench. One of those was my first encounter with a left handed Crescent wrench -- or was it? Years later when cheap Chinese wrenches started showing up here in the US of A I again began meeting Crescent wrenches whose jaw adjustment worked "backwards" from the American made wrenches I was used to. What was up?

Like many useful tools, Crescent wrenches were invented by a Scandinavian. This one still lived in Scandinavia. Sweden, where Volvos are built. Somehow when the wrenches started to be made in America they had a screw adjustment for the jaw that worked opposite to the original Scandinavian wrenches. Why? One, most likely apocryphal, story I heard is that when the drawings for the wrenches were sent over here they were on tracing paper, and whoever made the blueprints used the tracings wrong side up...

Anyway, ever since, American made Crescent wrenches from all makers have had a screw adjustment opposite from those made in the rest of the World. Which are the "left handed" wrenches? I think the Crescent and Proto ("Click-Stop Proto Tool") wrenches in my toolbox most deserve to be the "left handed" ones. <g>

A too-often neglected automobile part is attached -- a muffler bearing...

On 11/18/2019 10:00 AM, john acord wrote:
I have one of those, and keep it in the same drawer as my left handed monkey wrench :-)
--
John (@Jkohnen)
The lack of a sense of history is the damnation of the modern world. (Robert Penn Warren)