Topics

A New Meaning for "Plastic boat"

An article in the May/June Small Craft Advisor made me consider trying cellular PVC planks or sheet to make companionway drop boards for Tuffy. The author makes some good arguments in favor of using plastic instead of wood for such a project, and used the stuff for the cabin door on his Potter. he also mentioned a couple of people building whole boats out of the stuff!

http://craballeycustomboats.com/

This guy's Web site is a mess, but here are some photos of plastic boats he's built:

http://rionholdt.com/rionholdt-skiffs/

http://rionholdt.com/rionholdt-sailboats/

This is the stuff Home Despot sells:

https://versatex.com/trimboard

https://versatex.com/pvc-sheet-material

Interesting, but working with PVC and solvents would be a smelly business...

An optimist may see a light where there is none, but why must the pessimist always run to blow it out? (René Descartes)

Randy Torgerson

John,

When I had the windows replace on my house a few years ago, I had the contractors use the 5/4 PVC boards to replace the wood trim boards.  The PVC boards look nice painted.  The contractors didn't glue them together they just put caulk between them and screwed them down.

Randy

The author of the article in SCA mentions that you don't need to paint the PVC at all (if you like white <g>), and you don't need any epoxy and 'glass sheathing to protect it and prevent checking, like you do with plywood. That evens the cost between wood and plastic quite a bit, though epoxy and 'glass aren't really needed all the time with plywood.

I guess "latex" paint sticks OK to PVC if the contractors use it. White PVC would look fine for Tuffy's drop boards though.

On 7/13/2020 5:47 PM, Randy T wrote:
John,
When I had the windows replace on my house a few years ago, I had the contractors use the 5/4 PVC boards to replace the wood trim boards.  The PVC boards look nice painted.  The contractors didn't glue them together they just put caulk between them and screwed them down.
Things don't improve with age. Look at your truck. Look at your roof. Look in the mirror! (Red Green)