Topics

A Beautiful Day on Triangle Lake

Don't let the Scary photo that comes up when you search for Triangle Lake in Google Maps frighten you away. In the off season when all the ski and wake boats have been put away it's a very nice place for messing about.

https://goo.gl/maps/anwqrfR88UGwaZUe6

The water was like glass and the sun was shining when Cal and I put Surprise in Thursday. I didn't even need a jacket. :o) We were the only the boat on the lake and enjoyed a very peaceful hum around the little lake. Triangle Lake is a good one for quicky messabouts on those occasional sunny days in the cold and wet months.

https://flic.kr/p/2hPTaMk

The ramp is quite shallow so you have to back quite a ways in to launch and retrieve. But Cal thought up a clever way to retrieve Surprise dryshod, and Triangle Lake was a good test. He but a turning block on the trailer's winch post for Surprise's painter, so someone on the dock can pull her bow right up to the chock. Combined with side posts on the trailer it worked dandy, and nobody got their feet wet! :o) I shoulda taken a photo or two of the setup... It's simple and cheap and works.

--
John (@Jkohnen)
The trouble with the school of experience is that the graduates are too old to go to work. (Henry Ford)

Electri-Cal

Yes John, wouldn't have missed that new lake.  Smallish, but fun to row, or sail with the wind coming directly to the dock downwind,  Bottom around 12 feet or so, except for one shallow end where I got weed and 4 1/4 pr less, about as low as i'd like with underwater drive around 2 ft. to waterline.  Two coots slow the boat less than one mph, so not too bad John brought his gps,, and a good deal of assist for the laynch, retrieve parts. I found some spare parts to create a better no block , no tackle, no kidding, just easy small boat retrieve deal. I will be refitting them first unit with the new setup,  Hang in there,.  John will be the photo guy once again., and maybe most small craft can be retrieved dry shod even in windy conditions, if that is desired. I was about to add a H, Frt, remote winch, hope I cured that, we'll see..

A GREAT, SUNNY --- but short, daytrip  I have been requested to stay safe till my operation, so that's all for this year folks.   Unless I corral John for one more  "sneaker" run between other stuff next week. I'm going to try a different tack, next spring.  My boating time is during the week, darn it.  So, next spring I'm going to schedule some days that look good, have water in the lake, and post that as early as possible, as weather permits.  Checking my e-mail before I leave, and anybody is welcome up to boat capacity, or bring your own.  Surprise does well, its like a small sail boat speed, and noise level, but wind doesn't matter, at all.  Just bring a jacket, lunch, and I plan to get there early, get back before dark, ya'all welcome to show up --- as a general idea.

See you at the Christmas Salem Pizza event if possible, . ---   Cal