[AtkinBoats] Sad news

Edward Epifani

Atkins boats will always have a special place in my heart, poured over the designs a a kid. They exude a perky,tough, cheerful optimism . There is a 45’ ketch in Eureka, immaculately maintained. Low cabin trunk with wide side decks over a deep slack bilged hull, fine entry. Two strake bulwarks, and The side decks make you feel safe and welcomed handling sail. Real sea boat.

On May 19, 2022, at 4:47 PM, Bill Cook and Deborah L Cook <wcook1120@...> wrote:

Many years ago I owned a 24 ft Atkins gaff rigged hard chine sailboat called Tern. It was built at Hunters Point, California in 1937 and sailed up the coast to Edmonds where it sat till I bought it in 1981. By that time the cockpit was made water tight where as the original design was not. It was powered by  a small Baby Husky, chugga chugga along. Remember her, Richard Green? Salty little craft with all the character an Atkins is noted for. On larger designs they used a keyhole pattern for interior bulkheads assuring strong support and a definite separation from compartment to compartment, depending on size. I found those design features special.

Bill Cook

From: oregoncoots@groups.io <oregoncoots@groups.io> On Behalf Of Case Turner
Sent: Monday, May 16, 2022 10:24 AM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: [oregoncoots] [AtkinBoats] Sad news

Sent from not here

Begin forwarded message:

From: mrk_gillett <mark@...>
Date: May 16, 2022 at 8:30:21 AM PDT
To: AtkinBoats@groups.io
Subject: Re: [AtkinBoats] Sad news

Yes very sad news indeed. It was through her dedication that the designs remain active  RIP

On May 16, 2022, at 10:26 AM, Kevin T via groups.io <cinco75@...> wrote:

It is with a heavy heart that I have to pass along the news that Pat Atkin passed away peacefully yesterday (May 15, 2022). As I get more information, I'll pass it along. An obituary should come out on Thursday.

It has long been the plan to ensure the legacy of John and William Atkin's plans. All the plans are now in the expert care of Mystic Seaport, and will (hopefully) soon be up for sale there. She will be greatly missed by the wooden boat community.

Kevin

Josh

I used to operate Atkins design boats on Crater Lake and worked on one of his cutters in the boat yard @ Port Townsend. A great designer. I'm sorry to hear of Pat's passing.

Bill Cook and Deborah L Cook

[...]