When and If -- Yep !!

Electri-Cal

When and If, that sounds like a good name for what I plan.  I was looking at my Minn Kota 50, economizer setup.  When I thought I had a trade for a gas motor a while back, I laid out all the stuff I owned now.  Humm !!   Motor, speed control handle, foot on/off switch, plenty of wiring stuff, and at least two good deep cycle batts.  So far so good, but needs something to float it all on.

Humm, again !  I know we all love mini tugs, and I don't have a cabin boat with an easy to carry flat bottom.  The Mitches have done those mini tugs pretty well, but I haven't see them lately.  Needs to be light weight, so I wonder what happened to Lil' Weed or similar boats ??  The mini that the younger Mitch has always caught my eye, as easy to do and carry on a Harbor Freight trailer.  Just a first thought though.

The reverse Vee has some good ideas too.  The Hickman sea sled is easy to do, and should be fast with electric, or a real screamer with say 6 hp if done ultra light and smaller size.  Still sits on a flat trailer, and could be done pretty cheap.  Another advantage is that I have never seen one,  Maybe some plastic boats, but wood examples are rare,  For strength, how about 3 mm ply with side lapped seams, bottom smooth but carbon fibered.

The more it looks like Surprise the further it gets as consideration, except the easy loading flat bottom and hard chines parts.  Having a cabin to sit in would be good, still sounds like a 10 to 12 foot mini tug.  Oh well, time to whup out the books and see what starts churning.  The only competition at this point would be to find a pair of Hobie Cat, or build similar pontoons, and create a catamaran that has a small sitting cockpit and a way to swim or use a canvas cover for it.  Both have attractive ideas, for me at least.  So, more info needed, and if somebody has or knows of an unused set of pontoons, I'd like to hear that, thanks !!

Tis The Season, Eh ?? ------  Cal

PS -  I can hardly wait to get the trial fitting for Surprises canvas shelter next week.  Enough shelter to cut the wind or rain, removable and stowed in under three minutes, it gets put up in the same time under way is the goal.

Here are a couple of little bitty tug plans to inspire you:

https://duckworks.com/gill-12-tugboat-plans/

https://www.duckworksmagazine.com/08/designs/tug/

http://www.berkeley-engineering.com/

I think Zach Mitsch's little tug is a little Berkeley design. Dick Mitsch's Sea-weed, Jr. might be for sale, since he's not boating these days. :o(

But for a nimble day boat and occasional weekender you could do a lot worse than an AF4 Breve for your Suzy 4-6 hp. Did you look at the plans I loaned you?

https://duckworks.com/af4-breve-plans/

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=43145927%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&text=preston&view_all=1

Dan Walker had a "Sea Jet", William Jackson's take on Hickman's Sea Sled.

https://flic.kr/p/cjiqCj

Sea Sleds are relatively efficient speedboats, but the concept is intended for high speeds, so they're nothing special with low power. The plastic Livingstons are probably more what you're thinking about; the "tunnel" runs all the way aft, sort of a narrow catamaran.

https://www.usedvictoria.com/power-boats/37536991

On 11/20/2021 8:21 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Humm, again !  I know we all love mini tugs, and I don't have a cabin boat with an easy to carry flat bottom.  The Mitches have done those mini tugs pretty well, but I haven't see them lately.  Needs to be light weight, so I wonder what happened to Lil' Weed or similar boats ??  The mini that the younger Mitch has always caught my eye, as easy to do and carry on a Harbor Freight trailer.  Just a first thought though.
The reverse Vee has some good ideas too.  The Hickman sea sled is easy to do, and should be fast with electric, or a real screamer with say 6 hp if done ultra light and smaller size.  Still sits on a flat trailer, and could be done pretty cheap.  Another advantage is that I have never seen one,  Maybe some plastic boats, but wood examples are rare,  For strength, how about 3 mm ply with side lapped seams, bottom smooth but carbon fibered.
What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy? (Ursula K. Le Guin)

I have almost finished redoing a 13’ Livingston and I think that’s gonna be it for awhile for me. I need to fill some drain holes and git’er launched! I have a 3.5 Tohatsu for super power and Hagg Lake not too far away.

Rich

On Nov 20, 2021, at 6:02 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

[...]

Dan

John, Cal…any way to put pix on this site?  My own Mojo the Tuglet does all the stuff you are talking about:  13 feet, standing inside headroom, and a floor long enough to sleep on.  Hopefully to be in the Depoe show this time.  Soooooo, how do you do the picture thing?  Dan

Claire Acord

image.png
image.png

On Sun, Nov 21, 2021 at 7:20 AM Dan <danashore@...> wrote:

John, Cal…any way to put pix on this site?  My own Mojo the Tuglet does all the stuff you are talking about:  13 feet, standing inside headroom, and a floor long enough to sleep on.  Hopefully to be in the Depoe show this time.  Soooooo, how do you do the picture thing?  Dan

Dan

Claire says…all ya gotta do is…

An even easier way to do it is to attach your photo to an email to the group:

oregoncoots@groups.io

I think the easiest way to deal with these online groups is to read the messages via email, and answer them the same way, and of course post new messages by email too. You can tell your mail reading program to put messages from each group into its own folder.

On 11/21/2021 10:04 AM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
Claire says…all ya gotta do is…
No man will be a sailor who has contrivance enough to get himself into jail; for being in a ship is being in a jail, with the chance of being drowned... A man in jail has more room, better food, and commonly better company. (Samuel Johnson)