Attempting to read the tea leves...Columbia trip

Dan

Dan, Jamie and Walkabout have been expecting to meet up with the Coot
cortege at Sand island on or about a week hence. We have managed to defer
some difficult-to-resked appointments, and made some extensive
repairs/exploratory surgical procedures to our running gear, as well. But.
I'm beginning to wonder about the prospects of a quorum from the locals.
We missed the Toledo fete as a result of a just-prior catastrophic failure
and fire. So, it goes.

I would greatly appreciate a command climate assessment vis a vis the
committed vs the mebbe's. If Wednesday is a "steaming day", underway on
the river; I need to anticipate a departure date from Almostcanada this
coming monday. It's pushing 1K miles round trip, towing a 4,500 pound
trailer and boat. I have yet to see from the planning chatter if things
like reservations and long term parking arrangements are needed. Stuff
like that.

Thanks, Dan

elaineginader

Hi Dan, Jamie,and Walkabout,

It's great to hear that you plan to come to the September messabout. I won't be there seems like work can't keep going without me right now. I hope you do a write up with pictures so those who are tied to our work chairs can ride along.

Have a great time,
Elaine

On Wed, Sep 8, 2021, 4:50 PM Dan <danashore@...> wrote:
[...]

I'm afraid I'm a "maybe" right now. I ordered some parts for Lazy Jack's outboard over the Interweb and they're taking _forever_ to get here. <sigh> If they get here by the weekend, and the surgery is a success, I'll be raring to go. :o) If not...

On 9/8/2021 4:50 PM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
Dan, Jamie and Walkabout have been expecting to meet up with the Coot
cortege at Sand island on or about a week hence. We have managed to defer
some difficult-to-resked appointments, and made some extensive
repairs/exploratory surgical procedures to our running gear, as well. But.
I'm beginning to wonder about the prospects of a quorum from the locals.
We missed the Toledo fete as a result of a just-prior catastrophic failure
and fire. So, it goes.
A child educated only at school is an uneducated child. (George Santayana)

Brian Gage <jamesgage637@...>

John, Is that a 9.9 Honda that needs parts? Well that's a bummer.

The other day I bought a small brass port light off of Craigslist. While I was scanning the shop there I noticed this object...can anyone identify it...if you identify it let me know. It brass and stands about 4' high.
B.G.

Tohatsu/Mercury 9.9. I tried a different online parts dealer than I'd used before. Won't use them again... But they are genuine Mercury parts, so maybe they're stuck on a ship from Japan waiting to unload... <sigh> I think I spotted that trailer jack I ordered long before the Salish 100 sitting on this ship waiting to get into Tacoma to unload: <g>

https://flic.kr/p/2mh2tWi

Interesting chunk of brass. I don't have any idea what it is. Why didn't you buy it, Brian? ;o)

On 9/9/2021 12:00 PM, Brian G wrote:
John, Is that a 9.9 Honda that needs parts? Well that's a bummer.
The other day I bought a small brass port light off of Craigslist. While I was scanning the shop there I noticed this object...can anyone identify it...if you identify it let me know. It brass and stands about 4' high.
Wind is to us what money is to life on shore. (Sterling Hayden)

Brian Gage <jamesgage637@...>

John, That chunk of brass was claimed to be a compass stand on a P T Boat. Humm $200 bucks. So I emailed the "BRASS" that has restored the - P T 658 - here in Portland .
After forwarding imiges and waiting it was determined that it is not original equipment for a Torpedo Boat! So that's why I'm not buying.
B.G.

The brass stand looks like it's made to hold something easily removable. It's definitely not a binnacle to hold a compass, but it may have been bolted down to a bridge wing of a ship to hold a pelorus for taking relative bearings. Or maybe those really high-powered binoculars you see in some WW II movies. Anything that they might want to bring inside when not in use...

You're a sucker for interesting old stuff, Brian, but $200 makes that stand a lot less tempting. ;o)

On 9/10/2021 9:03 PM, Brian G wrote:
John, That chunk of brass was claimed to be a compass stand on a P T Boat. Humm $200 bucks. So I emailed the "BRASS" that has restored the - P T 658 - here in Portland .
After forwarding imiges and waiting it was determined that it is not original equipment for a Torpedo Boat! So that's why I'm not buying.
Nobody ought to wear a Greek fisherman's hat unless they meet two conditions: 1. He is a Greek; 2. He is a Fisherman (Roy Blount Jr.)