September Messabout?


 

What shall we do for the Fall Messabout scheduled for September 18-19th? Someone suggested doing the Columbia River again...

http://www.coots.org/mb/

It's not too early to start thinking about the Oregon Coast Messabout in October...

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
There are conditions of blindness so voluntary that they become complicity. (Paul Bourget)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Dan
 

“Downstream from Portland, in September” has a nice ring to it, doncha’thimk?


Richard Green
 

How many days for that trip?  Or how many miles?  I once set off from the 42 ave boat ramp by the airport to Astoria in an El Toro.  Sailed all day to Sauvie Island…in the rain… and dry bags failed, my Icom shorted out and I was bailing the whole time.  Oh well.  Called a friend to pick up myself and boat.  Never tried it again.

Rich G

On Aug 27, 2021, at 10:02 PM, Dan <danashore@...> wrote:

“Downstream from Portland, in September” has a nice ring to it, doncha’thimk?


Mark Neuhaus
 



On Friday, August 27, 2021, Dan <danashore@...> wrote:

“Downstream from Portland, in September” has a nice ring to it, doncha’thimk?


Sounds good to me, at this point.

I could envision a round trip at a leisurely pace and folks could join in or out for whatever time they have available. 


elaineginader
 

Sounds good to me Mark.


On Sat, Aug 28, 2021, 4:20 PM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:


On Friday, August 27, 2021, Dan <danashore@...> wrote:

“Downstream from Portland, in September” has a nice ring to it, doncha’thimk?


Sounds good to me, at this point.

I could envision a round trip at a leisurely pace and folks could join in or out for whatever time they have available. 


Mark Neuhaus
 

This any help for planning?  I could see it going for a week......


On Sat, Aug 28, 2021 at 10:14 AM Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:

How many days for that trip?  Or how many miles?  
 


 

A leisurely trip, for sure, and no attempt to reach a distant destination.

A loop? Or one-way, with trailers shuttled?

On 8/28/2021 4:20 PM, Mark N wrote:
“Downstream from Portland, in September” has a nice ring to it,
doncha’thimk?
Sounds good to me, at this point.
I could envision a round trip at a leisurely pace and folks could join in or out for whatever time they have available.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Too often I would hear men boast of the miles covered that day, rarely of what they had seen. (Louis L'Amour)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Mark Neuhaus
 

Hi John,

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 2:06 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

A leisurely trip, for sure, and no attempt to reach a distant destination.

A loop? Or one-way, with trailers shuttled?

I just wrote to Allen this morning asking about using Cathlamet as the weekend site.  That way, anyone who couldn't or didn't want to make the trip from Portland could still get together.  I could see two or three days each way. That's why I was researching Wallace Island Slough.  Or Crims Island Slough. Or?

Any interest in that scenario?

Mark


Dan
 

A week on the water, and a return to putin and trailers, I would say…er, WE would say.  Dan & Jamie the Seadog.


elaineginader
 

Is one of the stops Sand Island park?


On Sun, Aug 29, 2021, 3:13 PM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:
Hi John,

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 2:06 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

A leisurely trip, for sure, and no attempt to reach a distant destination.

A loop? Or one-way, with trailers shuttled?

I just wrote to Allen this morning asking about using Cathlamet as the weekend site.  That way, anyone who couldn't or didn't want to make the trip from Portland could still get together.  I could see two or three days each way. That's why I was researching Wallace Island Slough.  Or Crims Island Slough. Or?

Any interest in that scenario?

Mark


Mark Neuhaus
 

Hi Elaine,

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 7:10 PM elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

Is one of the stops Sand Island park?

Could be.  As of now, dates, destination(s), stops are all to be determined.  :-)

I can see it as the gathering and starting place for the trip downstream. If we want to be at Cathlamet for the weekend, we would need one or two nights to get there.  The same for returning.  You free for that long?

I'm attaching a jpg satellite image of the river with waypoints shown that I've gathered for my database project.  The PDF of mileage charts to Cathlamet was sent in an earlier email.  Between those, one can get an idea of what's along the way and how far between the places.

Hope this helps.

Mark


Myles Twete
 

I’ve done the trip to the Cathlamet Boat Fest twice, starting at Caterpillar Island below Kelley Pointe.  The trip downstream we did in 2 days, anchoring behind one off the islands just downstream of Rainier.  Staying a night at Sand Island would be nice also and would make the trip more leisure.  In 2005, as I recall, the total downstream cruise time (~45miles) was about 11 hours.  I think I used about 100amp-hours (36v) from my battery pack and 220amp-hours from the genset, burning about 1.5gallons of gas.  The trip upstream used about 2x the energy.  Instead of 1 battery charger at 20amps, I used 2 of them (40amps) and barely made it upstream to Rainier to tie up for the night---needed about 55amps just to make progress against the current, rolling into the marina about 10pm and was more than 200amp-hours down on the battery pack.  Took 2 days going upstream also, with Sunday being a slow slog from Rainier, fighting the tide.  Best to add a day and only go with the winds and tides.  The afternoon winds tend to be high and from the NW.

 

On that trip, I rolled into my marina having drawn more than 300amp-hours from my pack.  These days, I have a lot more capacity in my pack (700amp-hours at 42v).  I can easily do the downstream trip solely on electric.  Even if I could count on being able to and allowed to charge my pack at Cathlamet, I’d still need to bring a genset and at least the one charger.  But I’m game… J  I’ve been wanting to make it down that way for a long time.  On generator power alone, the boat gets about 16mpg at 4-5kts as I recall.

 

-MylesT

 

From: oregoncoots@groups.io [mailto:oregoncoots@groups.io] On Behalf Of Mark Neuhaus
Sent: Sunday, August 29, 2021 8:42 PM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] September Messabout?

 

Hi Elaine,

 

On Sun, Aug 29, 2021 at 7:10 PM elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

 

Is one of the stops Sand Island park?

 

Could be.  As of now, dates, destination(s), stops are all to be determined.  :-)

 

I can see it as the gathering and starting place for the trip downstream. If we want to be at Cathlamet for the weekend, we would need one or two nights to get there.  The same for returning.  You free for that long?

 

I'm attaching a jpg satellite image of the river with waypoints shown that I've gathered for my database project.  The PDF of mileage charts to Cathlamet was sent in an earlier email.  Between those, one can get an idea of what's along the way and how far between the places.

 

Hope this helps.

 

Mark

 


Mark Neuhaus
 

Thanks much, Myles for the information.  It would be nice if Earl could post some observations from last year's trip, especially since it's the same season we might be doing this.  I'd be curious how the wind and tides affected them.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 8:17 AM Myles Twete <matwete@...> wrote:

 Even if I could count on being able to and allowed to charge my pack at Cathlamet, I’d still need to bring a genset and at least the one charger. 


I believe it was one of the last gaterings we had in Cathlamet that Harvey brought his electric cruiser up from Astoria, spending a night in Steamboat Slough before arriving.  He moored with us for a whie and then moved over to a dock with electric power for re-charging.  You'd have to contact him to see if he had to pay or just did it on the sly.

Here's what I wrote to Elaine as a possible itinerary.  But nothing's set in stone. Maybe some would rather drive to Cathlamet on Friday and on Monday, come upstream for a night before returning to Cathlamet and heading home? Or come a day earlier and join up at Walker Island float?  We need to make sure we all have each other's cell phone numbers if we are going to try to meet up on the water. 

Wednesday at Sand Island
Thursday at Walker Island Float 
Friday at Cathlamet
Saturday at Cathlamet
Sunday at Cathlamet
Monday at Walker Island Float
Tuesday at Sand Island
Thursday back home

But I’m game… J  I’ve been wanting to make it down that way for a long time.  On generator power alone, the boat gets about 16mpg at 4-5kts as I recall.


It will be a new experience for me, for sure, so it will certainly be better to do it with others.  

Mark


Brandon
 

We were in our apartment in Longview the Saturday of the Cathlamet classic and wooden boat show. Virginia gave me a couple of hours off so I could zip down to check it out. It was fun. Nice folks. Wish I could have taken my skerry down and spent the day. As it was, I was able to see all the boats and have a good visit with one of the local rowers in about 20 minutes. Inline image

Inline image






cherrill boissonou
 

Mark, 
Dr Petra and I accompanied Bo Neil and Dan Mulholland on Glencannon last year and we had basically smooth going. A bit of fog......some rain......a little rough chop in one of the passages caused by wind....  , but nothing daunting. One does have to keep an eye on the shipping traffic as it moves quickly and can appear quite suddenly from around a curve: DON’T want to cross in front of them without plenty of lead time.
Dr. Petra is operating on 9.9hp and cruises easily between 4.5 & 5.5kn. with occasional 
Bursts  of 6.5+in. Bo had to run ahead at times to keep from flattening the cam on his V8. Bar Tender, but most of the time he stayed with me and I was able keep 5.5 to 6 kn average speed. I hope you find this info helpful and I look forward to going on the trip again.
Earl🧙‍♂️🌝⚓️



On Aug 30, 2021, at 11:49 AM, Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:

Thanks much, Myles for the information.  It would be nice if Earl could post some observations from last year's trip, especially since it's the same season we might be doing this.  I'd be curious how the wind and tides affected them.

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 8:17 AM Myles Twete <matwete@...> wrote:

 Even if I could count on being able to and allowed to charge my pack at Cathlamet, I’d still need to bring a genset and at least the one charger. 


I believe it was one of the last gaterings we had in Cathlamet that Harvey brought his electric cruiser up from Astoria, spending a night in Steamboat Slough before arriving.  He moored with us for a whie and then moved over to a dock with electric power for re-charging.  You'd have to contact him to see if he had to pay or just did it on the sly.

Here's what I wrote to Elaine as a possible itinerary.  But nothing's set in stone. Maybe some would rather drive to Cathlamet on Friday and on Monday, come upstream for a night before returning to Cathlamet and heading home? Or come a day earlier and join up at Walker Island float?  We need to make sure we all have each other's cell phone numbers if we are going to try to meet up on the water. 

Wednesday at Sand Island
Thursday at Walker Island Float 
Friday at Cathlamet
Saturday at Cathlamet
Sunday at Cathlamet
Monday at Walker Island Float
Tuesday at Sand Island
Thursday back home

But I’m game… J  I’ve been wanting to make it down that way for a long time.  On generator power alone, the boat gets about 16mpg at 4-5kts as I recall.


It will be a new experience for me, for sure, so it will certainly be better to do it with others.  

Mark


Mark Neuhaus
 

Hi Earl,

On Mon, Aug 30, 2021 at 9:20 PM cherrill boissonou <cboissonou@...> wrote:

A bit of fog......some rain......a little rough chop in one of the passages caused by wind....  , but nothing daunting.

Sounds good.  And if we keep it casual enough, a short day ducking out of the weather would make things easier.
 
One does have to keep an eye on the shipping traffic as it moves quickly and can appear quite suddenly from around a curve: DON’T want to cross in front of them without plenty of lead time.

Agreed.
 
Dr. Petra is operating on 9.9hp and cruises easily between 4.5 & 5.5kn. with occasional Bursts  of 6.5+in.

I figured that would probably be the normal speed of most Coot boats.
 
I hope you find this info helpful and I look forward to going on the trip again.

Indeed I did. Thanks much.  

Mark 


Mark Neuhaus
 

Hi all,

I contacted Allen Bennett in Cathlamet about meeting up there for a weekend with Coots who couldn't get away during the week, and he alerted me to the fact that the salmon fishing season may make it quite the busy place.

So, are you folks expecting a weekend gathering of boats and social messing about or is it going to be a cruise for those of us who can get away for a week? If it's a weekend meet up of boats, will that be in the middle of a cruise or the beginning or end of a cruise? I'm free to come and go whenever, but maybe other interested participants aren't so lucky?

Mark



Lee Tapper
 

Kalama might also be a port of call.  In 2019 they invested a lot in improving the area and its quite nice. McMenamins also has a hotel/restaurant there which is good and has outdoor dining.


Myles Twete
 

I’m very glad the point was brought up about fishing pressure at that time.

Once the fishery on the lower river is shut, the pressure comes on upstream.

When that happens, the launch ramps become crowded, camping or lodging scarce, scads of early morning launches (would not be very easy to sleep in at Cathlamet if fishing is still open down there).  Some of the busiest salmon fishing in September is near St. Helens and Kalama.  So the docks at Kalama might be busy also, with perhaps little in the way of space at their guest docks…I just don’t know.

Wave action on the river could be driven mostly by the fishing boats.

 

I don’t have a crystal ball…might be that there won’t be any pressure on the river, at the docks, etc. by Sept. 18th.  Guaranteed it will be busy a week earlier.

 

FWIW…

 

From: oregoncoots@groups.io [mailto:oregoncoots@groups.io] On Behalf Of Lee Tapper
Sent: Wednesday, September 1, 2021 10:19 AM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] September Messabout?

 

Kalama might also be a port of call.  In 2019 they invested a lot in improving the area and its quite nice. McMenamins also has a hotel/restaurant there which is good and has outdoor dining.


Mark Neuhaus
 

Hi Lee,

Thanks for telling me about the Kalama re-model.  The marina is on my list as a possible gas stop. Unfortunately, my Tolman gulps gas and I only have a 12 gallon portable tank. I carry extra jugs and may not have to worry, but it's always good to know where to re-plenish.

Hi Myles,

Thanks for the additional information.  I called Michael Baccellieri last night and he also talked about the fishermen. 

He owns the South Welcome Slough CG and Moorage on Peget Island and I wanted to see if we could meet there.  Trouble is, the slough is so infested with weeds that it is only navigable for two hours on either side of high tide.  They will be removing the weeds after salmon season closes, which he thinks will be late September.

He has room for about ten boats and rafting would be okay. He charges ten bucks a night, which includes a free shower, picnic benches, fire pit, and free firewood. He has a few RV hook up sites at twenty bucks a night. A public launch on the Columbia is less than a mile away, and he said rigs could be left there.  A VERY  long walk to eats or drinks. 😄

Now for a radical suggestion.  Because of the daily increases in the covid cases and the possible conflict with the fishing season, what thinks everybody about postponing the cruise and/or messabout until things improve on both counts?

Mark

_._,_._,_