Darn Burgee Escaped over the Winter

Electri-Cal

Any Coot have an extra burgee hanging unneeded in the closet, i'd like to buy one -- again.  Probably the old one will show up if I do this, but can't count on that !!  Please let me know if you have one, and what you want for it, doesn't have to be like new, but in shape for hanging on your best boat.  Thanks coots, somebody has one around, eh ??

Later,   Cal

Coot burgees are available new from me. $27. But they're high quality flags.

On 5/2/2021 5:23 PM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Any Coot have an extra burgee hanging unneeded in the closet, i'd like to buy one -- again.  Probably the old one will show up if I do this, but can't count on that !!  Please let me know if you have one, and what you want for it, doesn't have to be like new, but in shape for hanging on your best boat.  Thanks coots, somebody has one around, eh ??
Resistentialism: The theory that inanimate objects demonstrate hostile behavior toward us. (Coined by Paul Jennings from Latin res (thing) + French resister (to resist) + existentialism (a kind of philosophy))

elaineginader

I have one Cal that you can have.

On Sun, May 2, 2021, 5:23 PM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
Any Coot have an extra burgee hanging unneeded in the closet, i'd like to buy one -- again.  Probably the old one will show up if I do this, but can't count on that !!  Please let me know if you have one, and what you want for it, doesn't have to be like new, but in shape for hanging on your best boat.  Thanks coots, somebody has one around, eh ??

Later,   Cal

Electri-Cal

I would love that Elaine!  Are you sure you won,t need it later??  I want to be sure of that, just as a second thought ??    All the best,  Cal

elaineginader

Oh I'm really glad to give it to you. I won't be using it because it was for my smaller boat and I plan on selling her really soon. I already have one for my larger sailboat Belle Starr.. I'll get it into the mail shortly.
Elaine

On Mon, May 3, 2021 at 4:09 PM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
I would love that Elaine!  Are you sure you won,t need it later??  I want to be sure of that, just as a second thought ??    All the best,  Cal

Electri-Cal

Thank you, Elaine.  Do you have my address from the coots list??  I like the look of vintage flags on vintage looking boats,  Just my thing I guess, or i'd have bought a new creased and shiny one from John.   Now to scrounge an old piece of dowel, a finial and a bit of paint.  The old flag will mildew in sorrow, at a chance to wag taken away, this will teach it.

Best Wishes,   Cal

elaineginader

You're welcome Cal. Mine even may look to new for you I've only been a Coot for 4 years. Elaine

On Mon, May 3, 2021, 6:03 PM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
Thank you, Elaine.  Do you have my address from the coots list??  I like the look of vintage flags on vintage looking boats,  Just my thing I guess, or i'd have bought a new creased and shiny one from John.   Now to scrounge an old piece of dowel, a finial and a bit of paint.  The old flag will mildew in sorrow, at a chance to wag taken away, this will teach it.

Best Wishes,   Cal

Could a small boat less expensive than Pearl (I am flexible on price to see her go to a Good Home) be approved by the family, Elaine? We can keep an eye out for something that would be comfortable for a lady of a "certain age". <g>

On 5/3/2021 4:45 PM, elaine wrote:
Oh I'm really glad to give it to you. I won't be using it because it was for my smaller boat and I plan on selling her really soon. I already have one for my larger sailboat Belle Starr.. I'll get it into the mail shortly.
There is no free lunch.

elaineginader

Yes it would be acceptable. How much lower would you go for Pearl.

On Mon, May 3, 2021, 8:38 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Could a small boat less expensive than Pearl (I am flexible on price to
see her go to a Good Home) be approved by the family, Elaine? We can
keep an eye out for something that would be comfortable for a lady of a
"certain age". <g>

On 5/3/2021 4:45 PM, elaine wrote:
> Oh I'm really glad to give it to you. I won't be using it because it was
> for my smaller boat and I plan on selling her really soon. I already
> have one for my larger sailboat Belle Starr.. I'll get it into the mail
> shortly.

There is no free lunch.

I am truly grateful for all this boat talk preparatory to the Salish 100.  A lifetime of boating gets under the skin.   I’m boatless these days save for the project needing a couple days ‘glassing in my driveway but no boats to overnight on.  I had a great boat of my own vision and mostly work but sold him a couple three years ago when it looked like I was gonna die…..then didn’t.  I still miss that boat though I am happy to still be kickin’.

Rich

On May 3, 2021, at 8:45 PM, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

Yes it would be acceptable. How much lower would you go for Pearl.

On Mon, May 3, 2021, 8:38 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Could a small boat less expensive than Pearl (I am flexible on price to
see her go to a Good Home) be approved by the family, Elaine? We can
keep an eye out for something that would be comfortable for a lady of a
"certain age". <g>

On 5/3/2021 4:45 PM, elaine wrote:
> Oh I'm really glad to give it to you. I won't be using it because it was
> for my smaller boat and I plan on selling her really soon. I already
> have one for my larger sailboat Belle Starr.. I'll get it into the mail
> shortly.

There is no free lunch.

Once a coot. Etc.  Never old, always interested in the beauty around the boats.  Thanks,  Cal

What weekend were you all goin to be at Fern Ridge this month?  Some mentioned the water depth. Would my 10 ft Tenderly with a 3 ft dagger board be able to sail around??
Kent Olsen

On May 4, 2021, at 5:47 PM, Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

Once a coot. Etc.  Never old, always interested in the beauty around the boats.  Thanks,  Cal

Electri-Cal

John can tell you about how to get the water levels direct from the authorities,  I think 3 ft. would be a limiting factor unless you stick the going between Rtchardson, the dam, and mainly this end of the lake not so close to the edges.  The center has about 12 to 20 ft. now, but I mudded out at 3 ft. in the back of  the slips, the cove beyond the yacht club, and most all of the inland side beyond the point.  We're still pretty shallow, and if it were me, I would get a cheapie depth finder, some run on batteries, like the ice fishing ones.  Portable, and you know when it gets dangerous to proceed because of the depth alarm.  Saved my butt a few times, even with no sail, but the motor hanging down. aka,  Triangle Lake and others look better than they are on the edges.

Later,  Cal

Though Fern Ridge is 4' below full, there's still plenty of it where a 3' draft boat can sail. Just be careful around the edges. If you touch bottom just pull the daggerboard up a bit. One of the 5.5s put in the other day, and it draws 4' 4" or so, and can't pull its keel up. <g> The Santana 20s draw 4'.

http://www.boat-links.com/images/SabresandScorpions.pdf

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/albums/72157719059687629

Cal's right that a depth sounder can be handy on a shallow lake, even in a little boat. The cheapest way to go would be a fish finder, even though you'd need a 12 volt battery to power it.

Wait a minute! Portable fish finders have got cheaper since the last time I looked (a few years ago). Anybody tried something like these? A Coot can probably cobble together a hull mount for the floating transducer.

https://www.harborfreight.com/portable-fish-finder-62675.html

https://smile.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B08RDSL7TX/themotherofal-20

On 5/7/2021 10:18 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
John can tell you about how to get the water levels direct from the authorities,  I think 3 ft. would be a limiting factor unless you stick the going between Rtchardson, the dam, and mainly this end of the lake not so close to the edges.  The center has about 12 to 20 ft. now, but I mudded out at 3 ft. in the back of  the slips, the cove beyond the yacht club, and most all of the inland side beyond the point.  We're still pretty shallow, and if it were me, I would get a cheapie depth finder, some run on batteries, like the ice fishing ones.  Portable, and you know when it gets dangerous to proceed because of the depth alarm. Saved my butt a few times, even with no sail, but the motor hanging down. aka,  Triangle Lake and others look better than they are on the edges.
Houses, are but badly built boats so firmly aground that you cannot think of moving them. They are definitely inferior things, belonging to the vegetable not the animal world, rooted and stationary, incapable of gay transition. I admit, doubtfully, as exceptions, snail-shells and caravans. The desire to build a house is the tired wish of a man content thenceforward with a single anchorage. The desire to build a boat is the desire of youth, unwilling yet to accept the idea of a final resting-place. (Arthur Ransome)

Dan

I keep leaving Walkabout's DS turned on, when hauling out on the trailer.
It seems to still be forgiving my error, with a short period of
"indecision," then back on the job. Anyhow, I ran all over FR with that
MUD & WEED bottom with my bottom of the line Humminbird unit with accuracy
to 1.5 feet below the transducer...then came home and promptly destroyed a
new 4-blade prop on a rockpile (with excellent signal "paint" and simple
incredulity on the captain's part). We have low water, here too...deep
sigh. dan.