Kens AF4B

IIRC, one of the PVC pipe bows sprang out of my hand into the drink, explaining the sag...

https://flic.kr/p/2kTji4k

On 4/16/2021 10:07 PM, I wrote:
On my Jewelbox, Jr. I used a lift-off, lashed down, hard slot top for trailering and a soft top over PVC pipe "bows" (they were V-shaped with an L in the middle and whittled down Ts on the ends) with a bungee cord sewn into the edges that engaged hooks around the outside of the slot. Both worked good, but I never tried sailing with the slot top erected.
Life can be perfectly satisfying without major achievements. (Alice Munro)

On my Jewelbox, Jr. I used a lift-off, lashed down, hard slot top for trailering and a soft top over PVC pipe "bows" (they were V-shaped with an L in the middle and whittled down Ts on the ends) with a bungee cord sewn into the edges that engaged hooks around the outside of the slot. Both worked good, but I never tried sailing with the slot top erected.

On 4/16/2021 7:06 PM, Ken P wrote:
Yes, I can clearly see the advantage of the hardtop for trailering or storage, particularly if it were leak proof or at least rainproof. Unless I wreck it by trying to make it hinge, I am sure that's how I will end up using it at a minimum. But I've also ordered the fabric and the hardware pieces to make a soft top, so one way or the other I'll get that slot covered.
If a man is to be obsessed by something, I suppose a boat is as good as anything, perhaps a bit better than most. (E. B. White)

Ken Preston

Yes, I can clearly see the advantage of the hardtop for trailering or storage, particularly if it were leak proof or at least rainproof. Unless I wreck it by trying to make it hinge, I am sure that's how I will end up using it at a minimum. But I've also ordered the fabric and the hardware pieces to make a soft top, so one way or the other I'll get that slot covered.

David Graybeal

When Pat & Kay built the PK20 (similar to your boat) - they built a hard cover for the slot. Later, they rigged some  bows and a blue tarp for a soft cover with a bit more headroom, and more light. He told me once that he intended to do a more permanent, but collapsible, version of the soft top, and use the hard cover for storage and for trailering.

Ken Preston

Thank you gentlemen, I appreciate the compliments to the lady of course, but actual examples of successful installations are a big help.  Cal, please clarify your use of weather stripping in the hatch cover(s).  I have used a cut open bike inner tube held down over the hinge by a pair of very light battens, but that was for a lid that only ever opened 90 degrees (top of the utility box on the tongue of a teardrop).  It works perfectly, but if you opened it 180 degrees the two battens holding the rubber would two-block on each other, so not a perfect solution.  Weather stripping actually in the joint??  That would open all the way, which is important, and I can just about imagine it holding out all but the worst storm rain. . .I've built what turned out to be a very pretty and neatly fitting one-piece lid, and have a stainless piano hinge coming for it, will cut it and add a bit of framing under the 1/4" plywood to hold screws from the hinge and strengthen that edge. . .and with maybe 3/4" of framing added to the 1/4" of plywood, I'd have an inch of "compression zone" to install weather stripping.  Was that your approach?  Thanks much,
Ken

Bob's boat being his Birdwatcher II, Wave Watcher. He used a combination of a hard cover in the bow and soft cover aft.

https://flic.kr/p/6srKRS

Here's Cal's cabin boat with a slot top:

https://flic.kr/p/6srFW5

On 4/13/2021 9:39 PM, Electri-Cal wrote:
I like slot tops, two boats boats so far.   All have been successful as 2 piece sections, which stow easy inside.  I suppose if it rained for days i'd throw a simple tarp cover over the hatches, but haven't had a serious problem using weatherstrip.  When I saw Bob Larkins boat, I was hooked, if it has a cabin, it gets a 2 piece slot top access. My current boat has a hinged stern hard cover, and a two piece slot top.  Good work on yours, looks great, we'll be looking forward to seeing it sometime.
Fishing is a delusion entirely surrounded by liars in old clothes. (Don Marquis)

I like slot tops, two boats boats so far.   All have been successful as 2 piece sections, which stow easy inside.  I suppose if it rained for days i'd throw a simple tarp cover over the hatches, but haven't had a serious problem using weatherstrip.  When I saw Bob Larkins boat, I was hooked, if it has a cabin, it gets a 2 piece slot top access. My current boat has a hinged stern hard cover, and a two piece slot top.  Good work on yours, looks great, we'll be looking forward to seeing it sometime.

Best Wishes,   Cal

Ken up on Bainbridge Island has been busy. Look great, Ken! :o) Looks like it'll be ready to hit the water before too long. He's pondering what to do for a slot cover now. He's starting with a hard lid. Any suggestions?

"I have made her a hard lid in the belief that I'll enjoy it very much in heavy rain, which I have to expect at some point if my cruise plans turn out to be realistic at all. We shall see. For first impressions though, the disadvantages of the hard lid are very apparent now that it's put together. In short, it's clumsy. It can't fit inside the cabin, you can't tend the anchor gear with it in place, and for sure, it will be hugely awkward swung out to one side or the other, but perhaps. . .we shall see. If I were to cut and hinge it so that it amounted to a fore-hatch and an infrequently moved cabin top it might work much better, and I do have some experience with making waterproof hinges for our teardrop camper. Access for anchor or tieup work forward would be easy, and if I wanted it out of the way, folded back on itself it would fit easily down into the cabin. Or of course, I could end up with a fabric top anyway. Watch this space for further details!"

Let us endeavor so to live that when we come to die even the undertaker will be sorry. (Mark Twain}