Toledo Wooden Boat Show

Stephen Miller

Jan and I get our 2nd jab on the 29th John.  I got lucky with appointments right when Walgreens was starting.  But it really is the hunger games jab competition right now.  Our kids and sons in law were way ahead of us as teachers and 1st responders.  All in their 30s lol.  Good luck to all Coots.

Fyi I did hear that Walgreens releases their shot appointments at midnight and only schedule out 3 days so maybe being a night owl will pay off.  Note that you need to set up an online My Walgreen's account and be signed in to it to try for an appointment.

Best,

Steve Miller

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021, 1:32 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
I get my second jab on the 28th! :o) Right now it's still a hectic
process to get an appointment for the jabs. Pity the poor people who
don't have access to the Interweb, or aren't good with technology, or
whose mind and fingers aren't quick enough. <sigh> When Mary tried to
get an appointment with Lane County Public Health she found that when
she chose a slot, somebody else got it while she was filling out the
form! Fortunately, she persisted and got lucky. She got her first jab
Sunday.

A friend of my sister has a friend who's a pharmacist, so my sister got
news that Albertson's/Safeway was getting some doses and called me.
After trying several of the stores, and getting beat out like Mary did a
few times, I got myself an appointment at a Safeway. That's a heck of a
way to get the jabs! You shouldn't have to know someone who knows
someone who knows where the vaccine is available, and then be fast and
lucky enough to get one of the appointments. <sigh>

With more doses becoming available, maybe the process for getting a jab
will get easier. I sure hope so. As more groups get eligible, the folks
who are having trouble now getting appointments are going to be
competing against more, and younger and more nimble, people for the
available jabs. <sigh>

Right now there are a lot more people who want the vaccine than there
are doses to go around. In coming months we'll get more doses and get
most of them vaccinated, somehow. But to get back to something like
"normal" we need to get just about _everybody_ vaccinated. Don't get me
started on the people who _don't_ want the vaccine... I've already been
getting too "political". <g>

Good luck getting your jabs!

On 3/10/2021 8:46 PM, Hank wrote:
> I would sure hope by August everyone would have the vaccination so that
> great show can be held.  All you coots doing your part in getting the
> vaccine?
>
> Just started mine last Monday!  It was fast and easy.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats.
(Albert Schweitzer)

On 3/10/2021 8:46 PM, Hank wrote:
I would sure hope by August everyone would have the vaccination so that great show can be held.  All you coots doing your part in getting the vaccine?
Just started mine last Monday!  It was fast and easy.
There are two means of refuge from the misery of life - music and cats. (Albert Schweitzer)

I sure hope we can have a "real" boat show, but even if we can't we can have a gathering just for the Coots and other exhibitors, with proper precautions, down on the docks. Most Coots are of an age where they'll probably have their jabs by then (if you know someone who is having trouble getting a shot, help them).

Somewhere between that and a real show we could have boats displayed on land, then maybe some more activities, with the crowds limited somehow, and so on. Whatever looks like it can be done safely.

We'll know more in the next few months...

On 3/11/2021 9:23 AM, elaine wrote:
I hear you there Cal, if the show is for real this year I may put my boat in it. I've been working on my boats also. It's the only time I get out on the water even though I'm tied up to a dock.
Life’s meaning has always eluded me and I guess it always will. But I love it just the same. (E. B. White)

David Graybeal

I am so very ready. And so very cautious. I thought I was fairly well insulated, but the fellow I share a shop with committed an indiscretion and got infected. By the time it showed up, and he got tested, and he got the results back... his 'infectious period' was over. And I'd had contact with him the whole time. Distanced contact, but some. Being older... I sure don't want to get it. And having grandchildren, I double-danged-sure don't want to be responsible for bringing it home to them. It's a real balancing act.

Good luck, everyone and stay safe.

elaineginader

I hear you there Cal, if the show is for real this year I may put my boat in it. I've been working on my boats also. It's the only time I get out on the water even though I'm tied up to a dock.

On Thu, Mar 11, 2021, 9:19 AM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
Would be great to do the Toledo show again.  I would like to be in the water this time, but so much depends on scheduling, and health, that it's hard to predict that far out.  Just got my covid card, so all is well there.  Working on Surprise and using her is high on my list too.  Been out 3 times so far and weather was superb at Dexter lake, might get to the coast  lakes yet.  Battery understanding has helped a lot, good news for the last few runs as my sitting quietly, and "potttie time" runs out just about covers the time to switch to the other pack and head for the dock.

 I need to finish up newer additions for better weather comfort, and the underwater camera installation.  Mixed rewards there, sorta like you have to do the whole thing, before you see the full real benefit.

Gotta do a few things, so long Coots,   Cal

Electri-Cal

Would be great to do the Toledo show again.  I would like to be in the water this time, but so much depends on scheduling, and health, that it's hard to predict that far out.  Just got my covid card, so all is well there.  Working on Surprise and using her is high on my list too.  Been out 3 times so far and weather was superb at Dexter lake, might get to the coast  lakes yet.  Battery understanding has helped a lot, good news for the last few runs as my sitting quietly, and "potttie time" runs out just about covers the time to switch to the other pack and head for the dock.

 I need to finish up newer additions for better weather comfort, and the underwater camera installation.  Mixed rewards there, sorta like you have to do the whole thing, before you see the full real benefit.

Gotta do a few things, so long Coots,   Cal

Hank

I would sure hope by August everyone would have the vaccination so that great show can be held.  All you coots doing your part in getting the vaccine?

Just started mine last Monday!  It was fast and easy.

Hank

On Wed, Mar 10, 2021 at 12:06 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
I attended the planning meeting this morning. Everybody's hoping that we
can have a boat show with all the trimmings this year, but nobody's
crystal balls are good enough to show how the Pandemic will be doing in
August. A date was set for a decision on whether to have a relatively
full-blown show -- the June 9th planning meeting.

But _something_ will happen the third weekend in August. In the next few
months we'll discuss various degrees of activity that we could do if we
can't have a "real" Boat Show. Bud suggested that a weekend gathering of
the Coots and other exhibitors, down on the docks with our boats, would
be a good way to keep the enthusiasm and momentum going. A
little-publicized messabout, with a fire and maybe a barbecue, camping,
and of course a boat trip, or trips, somewhere. I think that's a Great
Idea. :o)

If you've got any ideas for some degree of "boat show" between a mere
messabout and the whole shebang throw it out here and we can kick it
around. I can pass on any good ideas at the next meeting on the second
Wednesday in April.

But I hope we can have a "real" show. I'll keep you updated on what's
happening.

Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal
life. (Mark Twain)

"Classic" is often used to describe a show for interesting boats. Like the recent Worldwide Classic Boat Show. I noticed some "classic" fiberglass boats in the show, so I submitted Tuffy, and they let her in. The I was browsing through the boats and came across an old 13' Boston Whaler! I suppose it is a "classic" on the sense that Boston Whaler made a big splash when their iconic outboard boats came out, and this one had been lovingly restored. I suppose going "classic" could be a slippery slope... <g>

A couple of memorable events in my youth occurred in a little bit bigger Boston Whaler. A 16-footer, IIRC. The first time I saw killer whales, and the time we ran out of gas and got caught in a tidal whirlpool.

On 3/10/2021 3:36 PM, Claire wrote:
Maybe as part of an effort to build attendance and support, just call it "Beautiful Boats" or "Great Boats" or if there is a size limit "Great Small Boats" and leave the wooden designation for another year?
hope something happens...
I know there's a proverb which that says "to err is human", but a human error is nothing to what a computer can do if it tries. (Agatha Christie)

That came up in the meeting. Not to increase participation, but because somebody mentioned putting the Yaquina Queen on the poster, if there is a show that deserves a poster. The trouble is that the YQ is fiberglass! <g> She's an about 24' German lifeboat that the Retired Old Geezers have been revamping as a gentleman's motor launch (I think they missed a great opportunity by not going electric), with bench seats around the cockpit and a fabric top with fringe around the edges. Bud said the show has never _really_ been just wooden boats anyway. We've had fiberglass steamboats, a steel submarine, a steel MLB, kayak rolling demos with plastic kayaks... Before I bought Tuffy, I talked Bud into letting her be an honorary wooden boat if George wanted to take her to the show. So _maybe_, just to justify putting a plastic boat on the poster, the show will officially become an event for interesting boats of any material. ;o)

On 3/10/2021 3:01 PM, Rich G wrote:
Boat show or wooden boat show? A regular boat show would have the potential to encourage more participation.
What sane person could live in this world and not be crazy? (Ursula K. Le Guin)

Claire Acord

Maybe as part of an effort to build attendance and support, just call it "Beautiful Boats" or "Great Boats" or if there is a size limit "Great Small Boats" and leave the wooden designation for another year?
hope something happens...
cheers
Claire

Richard Green

Boat show or wooden boat show? A regular boat show would have the potential to encourage more participation.

Rich