From: oregoncoots@groups.io [mailto:oregoncoots@groups.io] On Behalf Of Richard Green
Sent: Monday, December 28, 2020 7:55 PM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Sam McKinney's boat "Gander"

Ah, well, I remembered it as 20’ but the other details of my note are roughly correct.  I knew he started his journey in that boat but don’t recall any more beyond that from the story.  I read the book back in the day but it’s been a long time ago.  I never saw Sam again after those trips to Astoria.  My memory of the book he wrote is that he started out to write one book and somewhat in midstream he did another book/story as he moved along.

Rich

On Dec 28, 2020, at 7:32 PM, Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:

Hi Richard,

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 6:32 PM Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:

That’s the Great Pelican stretched to 20’….IIRC…..that Sam used to come to Astoria aboard in an early time.

If you are refering to the picture that I posted of Gander 1, I think you are mixing up his boats.  My posted image was scanned from "Sailing Uphill" and his commentary was:

"Out of that shed lumber, I built a little 16-foot, outboard-powered, pram-shaped dory for a total cost of $640.35."

He sailed that up to Lewiston on the first leg of his cross-country trip, and then back to Portland.

He then built Gander II, a 24-foot long St. Pierre dory from John Gardner plans for the remainder of his trip.  Unfortunately, he had to abandon it in the upper Missouri a couple of days after launching it, as the 18-inch draft was no match for the lowest water in years.

Gander III, a 24-foot long, 6-foot wide, 4-inch draft flat-bottomed barge-type boat that he designed in the dust of a Missouri River bluff after losing Gander II, was the one that got him to New York City, where he sold it.

I think of Sam as the Volkswagon of boats - get a design you like and only change it when you need to for a specific reason.

Mark

Richard Green

[...]

Mark Neuhaus

[...]

That’s the Great Pelican stretched to 20’….IIRC…..that Sam used to come to Astoria aboard in an early time.  The next year I talked to him in Astoria he had ditched the Seagull outboard and had a Honda, if memory serves.  The cabin had nothing in it but a mattress and a chair…..that I noticed.   It might have had camp stove and such but I don’t recall.  Someone in a group or some group in Portland (this was nearly forty years ago so….) had built the strongback for a stretch Great Pelican.

I hope to enclose, bandwidth and storage notwithstanding, a photo of my power adaptation of a Great Pelican hull.

Rich

On Dec 28, 2020, at 1:44 PM, Ken Preston <kenpreston46@...> wrote:

Goodness, that looks a lot like a Great Pelican with a substantially bigger cabin and an Outer Banks (North Carolina) sort of pilothouse.  I'm presently on track to start a Michalak AF4B (sort of--no plans, so I made a little model to the dimensions).  Gander is a MUCH bigger boat, but really interesting.  H'mm.  The car has been out of the shop since Christmas, so there's room now, time to stop dithering and go buy some wood.
Thanks very much for all the help!
Ken

Ken Preston

Goodness, that looks a lot like a Great Pelican with a substantially bigger cabin and an Outer Banks (North Carolina) sort of pilothouse.  I'm presently on track to start a Michalak AF4B (sort of--no plans, so I made a little model to the dimensions).  Gander is a MUCH bigger boat, but really interesting.  H'mm.  The car has been out of the shop since Christmas, so there's room now, time to stop dithering and go buy some wood.
Thanks very much for all the help!
Ken

Don't do it, Jim! You've been hanging around too much with Dan from Almostcanada. ;o)

Gander is squarer than Mikesboat. I think somebody here mentioned that Sam was inspired by the SF Pelican when he built his first barge boats.

https://duckworks.com/mikesboat-plans/

On 12/28/2020 12:36 PM, Jim Y wrote:
That reminds me of a Mikesboat conversion to power only w/cabin.
School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human existence. They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense and common decency. (H. L. Mencken)

Jim Young

That reminds me of a Mikesboat conversion to power only w/cabin.

On Mon, Dec 28, 2020 at 12:52 PM Myles Twete <matwete@...> wrote:

Hey, who shrunk “The Reach of Tide”? J