Varnish

Jhcalbany@aol.com

Have any of you ever used this stuff. I like the water cleanup, but wondering about the varnish.

Richard Green

No link or photo came through…question mark instead.  Can you do it again?

Rich

On Dec 1, 2020, at 1:12 PM, Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany@...> wrote:

Have any of you ever used this stuff. I like the water cleanup, but wondering about the varnish.

Jhcalbany@aol.com

Lets try this

Case Turner

I have not used the water based but have used a bunch of the oil based on teak .

Would be interested to know how the water based holds up.

Case

Sent from not here

On Dec 1, 2020, at 2:00 PM, Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany@...> wrote:

Lets try this

<thumbnail.jpg>

Richard Green

I’ve used water base and had very good luck with it the past few years.  In the early stages it was poor, some imparted a lavender’ish color to the project, but it’s very good now and is quite a hard finish.  A hard finish has it’s own limitations on a product like wood that expands and contracts and of course the usual caveat for outside varnish pertains, UV filter is necessary.

IMHO

Having said that, I often use the gel “wipe on, wipe off” varnish which is solvent based as I like the application technique being a lazy, lazy painter/varnisher.

Rich

On Dec 1, 2020, at 2:34 PM, Case Turner <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:

I have not used the water based but have used a bunch of the oil based on teak .

Would be interested to know how the water based holds up.

Case

Sent from not here

On Dec 1, 2020, at 2:00 PM, Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany@...> wrote:

Lets try this

<thumbnail.jpg>

Ron Rhatigan

Yes,  I started using it in place of oil based polyurethane varnish.  The durability after 1 summer is at least as good, and of course the clean up far easier.  It seems to leave a thinner coat that penetrates a little deeper.  I'll keep using it.  The cost is the same IIRC.

On Tue, Dec 1, 2020 at 2:34 PM, Case Turner
<dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:
I have not used the water based but have used a bunch of the oil based on teak .

Would be interested to know how the water based holds up.

Case

Sent from not here

On Dec 1, 2020, at 2:00 PM, Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany@...> wrote:

Lets try this

<thumbnail.jpg>

David Graybeal

AS you might imagine... I'm quite interested in water-cleanup products that perform. For environmental reasons. For decreasing disposal costs. And for ease of cleanup.

And with every new generation,.. every assurance from the commercial sales reps... I've tried it out - and it has been wanting.

And this has been going on for almost 40 years now - so I have officially abandoned the quest... pending a long period of 'performance as advertised' by some newer generation of product... and buttressed by widespread reviews by unbiased sources.

That has not happened yet, so I remain skeptical.

My prediction -- if you try it, you will be disappointed. But if you insist on allowing yourself to be seduced by the promises - as I have been myself, so many times - I would put my hopes in the marine-grade Pettit product and not the consumer-grade Varathane product --

https://www.pettitpaint.com/products/varnish-wood-finishes/exterior-varnish/seagold/

Randy Torgerson

I have used Daly's AquaSpar, a water based polyurethane spar varnish.  What I like about water based finishes are that I can work in the garage during winter without having the doors open, dries quickly (depending on temperature) and clean up is a breeze.  The downside it that it take a while to build up solids so I give the wood a coat of WEST systems epoxy or Total Boat penetrating epoxy sealer as a base.

Randy

On 12/01/2020 2:34 PM Case Turner <dirtsailor2003@...> wrote:

I have not used the water based but have used a bunch of the oil based on teak .

Would be interested to know how the water based holds up.

Case

Sent from not here

On Dec 1, 2020, at 2:00 PM, Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany@...> wrote:

Lets try this

<thumbnail.jpg>

Jhcalbany@aol.com

I should have explained. I'm not doing anything critical like boat bling. I make these pirate cup vases. I coat them with West system epoxy, then spray them with varnish. I've had some varnish & I don't remember what kind, that I had to let it completely dry then sand it before I shot the next coat. I like to shoot all 4 or 5 coats without sanding between them. Unless I have to.

David Graybeal

I remember you showing me one of those the other day. Very cool. My concerns about the finish remain. One of the things that seem to degrade that type of finish is water - esp. standing water. If they are still performing the same as all the other Large Molecule/co-polymerization cured finishes I've used... one would have to baby the mugs to have them stand up.

Jhcalbany@aol.com

I was concerned about water in them. The others that I've made we're sprayed with regular varathane & no one has said they failed. My wife keeps imitation flowers in hers, so I don't know, Guess we'll use this stuff & find out. Maybe the kids will use imitation flowers too.

Jove Lachman-Curl

Well, if they're coated with Epoxy first, they should hold standing water ok right?
-Jove