Coot Lunch Thursday at Fern Ridge

Bring a chair, too.

On 10/17/2020 3:38 PM, I wrote:
I just talked to John McC. Thursday is the best day for him. I went by Shorelane Park yesterday and the gate was closed. There were three or four cars parked by the gate and not much room for more. So, let's meet at Orchard Point Park, where there's plenty of parking, and no fee anymore. 1:00 and bring your own lunch.
https://preview.tinyurl.com/ybn6xuf2
or
https://www.google.com/maps/d/viewer?mid=1XHKRPdGWSuHdZVtvGGEEyOdhTRI&usp=sharing http://preview.tinyurl.com/EUGWX
Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of science makes skepticism a virtue. (Robert King Merton)

SmilinBob <bobthefish50@...>

Hello, Mr. Kohnen:
Would this be a good meeting for a prospective member who lives in Salem and wants to become acquainted with the Coots? I have just completed the building of a Goat Island Skiff for myself and family. Hopefully someone there can recommend a person I may hire for sailing lessons.
Be well,
Bob Choderker

On Sunday, October 18, 2020 John Kohnen <oregoncoots@groups.io> wrote:

Bring a chair, too.

--
Most institutions demand unqualified faith; but the institution of
science makes skepticism a virtue. (Robert King Merton)

Jhcalbany@aol.com

Is there enough water at Orchard park to launch the Banta boat? I finally got the paperwork from the marine board, so we can take it out for sea trials legally. Dennis & I are coming.

Today there's a bit over 2' of water at the foot of the ramp at Orchard point, and probably a bit less a little way out where the idjits who power there motorboats onto the trailer have washed the bottom that's supposed to be at the end of the ramp up into a bar. <sigh> Do you have a motor for the Banta?

https://preview.tinyurl.com/FRDepths

I'm glad you and Dennis are gonna make it to lunch. It's been too long since we've got together.

On 10/19/2020 1:50 PM, Jim C wrote:
Is there enough water at Orchard park to launch the Banta boat? I finally got the paperwork from the marine board, so we can take it out for sea trials legally. Dennis & I are coming.
The happiest people I have known have been those who gave themselves no concern about their own souls, but did their uttermost to mitigate the miseries of others. (Elizabeth Cady Stanton)

Welcome aboard, Bob. You're very welcome to join us for lunch Thursday, but it's gonna be a small gathering, for not very long, so it might not be worth a drive from Salem.

A Goat Island Skiff! :o) They're nice boats, but kinda sporty. Ask David and Jerry. <g> Do you have a reef in the sail? If so, you'll probably want to start out with the sail reefed, until you get used to the boat. Learning to sail is pretty easy, and you do it by sailing, which is fun. :o) Do you have any photos of your boat to share with us?

https://flic.kr/p/74CeZD

https://flic.kr/p/74Gbjq

Is the boat set up for rowing, or do you have a motor? You may want to join us for the Yaquina River floats coming up soon:

http://www.coots.org/mb/Halloween/

http://www.coots.org/mb/Thanksgiving

On 10/18/2020 5:20 PM, Smilin' Bob wrote:
Hello, Mr. Kohnen:
Would this be a good meeting for a prospective member who lives in Salem and wants to become acquainted with the Coots? I have just completed the building of a Goat Island Skiff for myself and family. Hopefully someone there can recommend a person I may hire for sailing lessons.
A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is a superstition. (Jose Bergamin)

Jhcalbany@aol.com

Dennis has a small Minkota & a battery we'll bring. I'm bringing a set of oars. I want to see if I got the seat & oarlocks in the right place. See you Thursday.

SmilinBob <bobthefish50@...>

Thank you for responding to my inquiry, John.

I have attached a photo of SV Friends and Family taken while in the middle of the build.

To judge by your photos, I may be in for a prolonged period of learning to prevent or recover from a capsize. My sail has 3 sets of reef points. The lesson plan will include their frequent use. The foot of the sail is laced, therefore this boat has a nicely bending boom which should dump most of the dangerous wind. 4 collapsible five-gallon water jugs will serve as ballast. Who knows; maybe the lessons will include the building of something beamier like a Welsford Houdini or Navigator.

Please let me know of any impromptu creek, river, or bay sails that may materialize; I'll check the Coot calendar for the remainder. However, the Corps of Engineers has emptied many of the lakes; it's clear that the sailing season is mostly finished.

I won't make it to the Thursday meeting but look forward to meeting the Coots.

Be well,
Bob Choderker

Welcome aboard, Bob. You're very welcome to join us for lunch Thursday,
but it's gonna be a small gathering, for not very long, so it might not
be worth a drive from Salem.

A Goat Island Skiff! :o) They're nice boats, but kinda sporty. Ask David
and Jerry. <g> Do you have a reef in the sail? If so, you'll probably
want to start out with the sail reefed, until you get used to the boat.
Learning to sail is pretty easy, and you do it by sailing, which is fun.
:o) Do you have any photos of your boat to share with us?

https://flic.kr/p/74CeZD

https://flic.kr/p/74Gbjq

Is the boat set up for rowing, or do you have a motor? You may want to
join us for the Yaquina River floats coming up soon:

http://www.coots.org/mb/Halloween/

http://www.coots.org/mb/Thanksgiving

On 10/18/2020 5:20 PM, Smilin' Bob wrote:
> Hello, Mr. Kohnen:
> Would this be a good meeting for a prospective member who lives in Salem
> and wants to become acquainted with the Coots? I have just completed the
> building of a Goat Island Skiff for myself and family. Hopefully someone
> there can recommend a person I may hire for sailing lessons.

A belief which leaves no place for doubt is not a belief; it is a
superstition. (Jose Bergamin)

Hi, John,  Figured i'd do lunch today at Orchard point.  A bit shallow for Surprise, so the scooter looks like an option, as the seat is built in har de har !!  I did get the new amp gauge in yesterday, and looking at a better depth camera now.  As before, here's hoping to point the camera to avoid most surface image clutter, and get a good bow image.

Hooked up to test, the new amp gauge is working sweet, but needs some mounting work for a better looking install.  The instrument power line needs redoing at some point, too light a wire, but a ton of trouble to replace it.
I plan on being there early, as i'll be on a "day ride" as feels good,  Wish there were a bit more water, might have to head for the coast to boat now.

Later,   Cal

Good looking boat, Bob.

The Goat Island Skiff is a sporty boat, but not a death trap. ;o) David G got caught by an unexpected jibe on the Columbia and got wet, and he's got a special talent. <g> Jerry had a rambunctious dog along who may have helped him capsize on Timothy Lake. The boat has got a big sail, so you have to be careful when the wind pipes up. Set Friends and Family up so you can easily reef her, and don't be ashamed to reef early and often. See my sig.

Start out learning to sail Friends and Family in light breezes, or with the sail reefed. You probably don't need to pay someone to teach you to sail. Show up at some messabouts and the Coots will be glad to get you started, then you just sail and sail, learning all along. I've never stopped learning. :o)

It would have been nice to meet you at the lunch Thursday, but it is a long drive. We'll see you at a Coot get-together in the future. Usually we have our Coot lunches around Albany or Corvallis, but John McC desperately needs to get some social interaction and doesn't want to get far from home.

On 10/20/2020 11:43 AM, Smilin' Bob wrote:
[...]
Any fool can carry on, but a wise man knows how to shorten sail in time. (Joseph Conrad)

Jhcalbany@aol.com

I haven't bought my invasive species permit this year. Can't I use someone else's? They aren't designated to one boat. What about the latest permit that allows you to paddle the boat ? I hate to buy all that stuff just to go for a 20 minute boat ride. I will buy the permits if I have to tho.

elaineginader

I was wondering what is the meeting time for the Halloween float. I don't want to miss out this year.

On Wed, Oct 21, 2020, 4:35 PM Jhcalbany@... via groups.io <Jhcalbany=aol.com@groups.io> wrote:
I haven't bought my invasive species permit this year. Can't I use someone else's? They aren't designated to one boat. What about the latest permit that allows you to paddle the boat ? I hate to buy all that stuff just to go for a 20 minute boat ride. I will buy the permits if I have to tho.

We had a good get-together today at Fern Ridge. The wind was a bit chilly, but the sun was warm and it was quite nice in the lee of a shed. Jim brought his newly finished Banta skiff but, probably wisely, decided not to launch it. There was water enough at the end of the ramp, but the motorboat bar looked hazardous. The boat looks real nice, and looks like it'll be a Good boat. While no boating got done, we had a real good BS session. :o) I miss our regular lunches. <sigh>

We'll have to try some more outdoor, or at least well ventilated, lunches. Someone suggested doing a lunch messabout at Triangle Lake, now that the ski boats have been put to bed. There can be some really nice days in the off season, and we've taken advantage of that at Triangle Lake before.

I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. (Dudley Field Malone)