Topics

Giving away my Goose


Andrew Linn
 

I'm losing my storage area and won't be able to keep my Goose (the Pride of Toledo.)  She needs a significant amount of work, but all the parts are there, including a Really Simple Sail balanced lug.

Anyone interested, please call or text. I can deliver to most places Coots live.


elaineginader
 

Why don't you donate it to the Toledo Boat house?


On Thu, Oct 15, 2020, 6:46 AM Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:
I'm losing my storage area and won't be able to keep my Goose (the Pride
of Toledo.)  She needs a significant amount of work, but all the parts
are there, including a Really Simple Sail balanced lug.

Anyone interested, please call or text. I can deliver to most places
Coots live.






Andrew Linn
 

It's not in sail-able condition right now, and I don't feel it falls into the usage model of the Boathouse.

On 10/15/2020 8:21 AM, elaineginader wrote:
Why don't you donate it to the Toledo Boat house?

On Thu, Oct 15, 2020, 6:46 AM Andrew Linn <alinn@andrewlinn.com <mailto:alinn@andrewlinn.com>> wrote:

I'm losing my storage area and won't be able to keep my Goose (the
Pride
of Toledo.)  She needs a significant amount of work, but all the
parts
are there, including a Really Simple Sail balanced lug.

Anyone interested, please call or text. I can deliver to most places
Coots live.


 

Andrew already tried donating his Goose to the Boathouse. They auctioned it off a few years ago, but the Port put in the highest bid and then gave the boat back to Andy! ;o) Pride of Toledo is a Good Boat. Andrew has said that she's the best one he's built. And Puddle Gooses are Good Boats, suitable for Ol' Coots and other less nimble folk. I hope one of Us gives her a good new home:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yc8u2hjr

I've been getting her name wrong all these years... I thought bit was "Spirit" of Toledo. <sigh>

On 10/15/2020 8:21 AM, Elaine wrote:
Why don't you donate it to the Toledo Boat house?
I'm losing my storage area and won't be able to keep my Goose (the
Pride
of Toledo.)  She needs a significant amount of work, but all the parts
are there, including a Really Simple Sail balanced lug.
Anyone interested, please call or text. I can deliver to most places
Coots live.

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Dealing with network executives is like being nibbled to death by ducks. (Eric Sevareid)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


 

Does Pride of Toledo come with the custom Coot burgee staff with brass wind indicator I made for her? That's worth the price by itself! ;o)

https://flic.kr/p/rvA7S8

On 10/15/2020 6:44 AM, Andrew wrote:
I'm losing my storage area and won't be able to keep my Goose (the Pride of Toledo.)  She needs a significant amount of work, but all the parts are there, including a Really Simple Sail balanced lug.
Anyone interested, please call or text. I can deliver to most places Coots live.

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Things don't improve with age. Look at your truck. Look at your roof. Look in the mirror! (Red Green)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


 

BTW, there will be another Goose in the Coot fleet come spring, so if one of Us gives Pride of Toledo a new home there can be Goose races. <g>

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
The days pass happily with me wherever my ship sails. (Joshua Slocum)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


cherrill boissonou
 

Oz up fer it iffin ah git dun in tyme begoose it’d bee moor phun than etten durt⛵️
Url🧙‍♂️🚣🏼‍♂️

On Oct 15, 2020, at 3:09 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

BTW, there will be another Goose in the Coot fleet come spring, so if one of Us gives Pride of Toledo a new home there can be Goose races. <g>

--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
The days pass happily with me wherever my ship sails. (Joshua Slocum)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com






Andrew Linn
 

Cherrill, where you be? I can deliver it this Sunday.

On 10/15/2020 5:47 PM, cherrill boissonou wrote:
Oz up fer it iffin ah git dun in tyme begoose it’d bee moor phun than etten durt⛵️
Url🧙‍♂️🚣🏼‍♂️
On Oct 15, 2020, at 3:09 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

BTW, there will be another Goose in the Coot fleet come spring, so if one of Us gives Pride of Toledo a new home there can be Goose races. <g>


 

That's Earl hiding behind his wife's skirts (email acct.). ;o) I think what he's trying to say is that he's got Mik Storer's Oz Goose plans in hand and a pile of plywood waiting for him to get to work.

On 10/15/2020 5:59 PM, Andrew Linn wrote:
Cherrill, where you be? I can deliver it this Sunday.
On 10/15/2020 5:47 PM, cherrill boissonou wrote:
Oz up fer it iffin ah git dun in tyme begoose it’d bee moor phun than etten durt⛵️
Url🧙‍♂️🚣🏼‍♂️
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Since when do we have to agree with people to defend them from injustice? (Lillian Hellman)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


cherrill boissonou
 

That’s right....just about to start on my very own Oz Goose🌝⛵️

On Oct 15, 2020, at 6:44 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

That's Earl hiding behind his wife's skirts (email acct.). ;o) I think what he's trying to say is that he's got Mik Storer's Oz Goose plans in hand and a pile of plywood waiting for him to get to work.

On 10/15/2020 5:59 PM, Andrew Linn wrote:
Cherrill, where you be? I can deliver it this Sunday.
On 10/15/2020 5:47 PM, cherrill boissonou wrote:
Oz up fer it iffin ah git dun in tyme begoose it’d bee moor phun than etten durt⛵️
Url🧙‍♂️🚣🏼‍♂️
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
Since when do we have to agree with people to defend them from injustice? (Lillian Hellman)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com






 

Although Earl is gonna add some of his own touches to the Oz Goose, it may well end up being the first Duck/Goose in the NW built close to actual plans! <g> In this case, Mik Storer's Oz Goose plans:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3ppb87p

or
https://www.opengoose.com/plans/oz-goose-2016-plan-now-available-from-our-agents/

On 10/16/2020 8:59 AM, Earl wrote:
That’s right....just about to start on my very own Oz Goose🌝⛵️
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? (Billy Atkin)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


cherrill boissonou
 

Yeah.....right now I’m conflicted about dagger board/ fixed rudder and lee board / kick-up rudder. I’d like to hear some opinions from out there in Cootville sailor land.
Earl

On Oct 16, 2020, at 1:05 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

Although Earl is gonna add some of his own touches to the Oz Goose, it may well end up being the first Duck/Goose in the NW built close to actual plans! <g> In this case, Mik Storer's Oz Goose plans:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3ppb87p

or
https://www.opengoose.com/plans/oz-goose-2016-plan-now-available-from-our-agents/



On 10/16/2020 8:59 AM, Earl wrote:
That’s right....just about to start on my very own Oz Goose🌝⛵️
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? (Billy Atkin)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com






Andrew Linn
 

I'm all about kickup. I'm aground more often than I am racing.

On 10/16/2020 1:47 PM, cherrill boissonou wrote:
Yeah.....right now I’m conflicted about dagger board/ fixed rudder and lee board / kick-up rudder. I’d like to hear some opinions from out there in Cootville sailor land.
Earl


cherrill boissonou
 

Thanks Andrew,
I’m also considering my age. It’s hard and awkward to lift and lower a dagger board or same style rudder.....and I’m conjuring-up an inside-the-cockpit geared wheel for a lee board.

On Oct 16, 2020, at 1:59 PM, Andrew Linn <alinn@andrewlinn.com> wrote:

I'm all about kickup. I'm aground more often than I am racing.

On 10/16/2020 1:47 PM, cherrill boissonou wrote:
Yeah.....right now I’m conflicted about dagger board/ fixed rudder and lee board / kick-up rudder. I’d like to hear some opinions from out there in Cootville sailor land.
Earl





Richard Green
 

Pivot pin leeboard with inside lever assist?

Rich

On Oct 16, 2020, at 1:47 PM, cherrill boissonou <cboissonou@gmail.com> wrote:

Yeah.....right now I’m conflicted about dagger board/ fixed rudder and lee board / kick-up rudder. I’d like to hear some opinions from out there in Cootville sailor land.
Earl
On Oct 16, 2020, at 1:05 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

Although Earl is gonna add some of his own touches to the Oz Goose, it may well end up being the first Duck/Goose in the NW built close to actual plans! <g> In this case, Mik Storer's Oz Goose plans:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y3ppb87p

or
https://www.opengoose.com/plans/oz-goose-2016-plan-now-available-from-our-agents/



On 10/16/2020 8:59 AM, Earl wrote:
That’s right....just about to start on my very own Oz Goose🌝⛵️
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? (Billy Atkin)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com









 

A Michalak-style single leeboard is easily handled with two lanyards --
one to lower it and hold it down, and another to raise it and hold it up. The Piccup Pram plans I loaned you show the details, but here's an old article from Jim's newsletter:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y43tup49

or

http://www.jimsboats.com/webarchives/1998/15jun98.htm#Pivoting%20Leeboard%20Design

Duckworks sells "magic" cleats that release if you hit something with the leeboard:

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/sd-002570-parent.htm

You should try the cassette rudder before dismissing it out of hand. The rudder blade isn't weighted, so it's easy to lift. When partly raised the cassette rudder works better than a partly raised kickup rudder. If you don't like the cassette rudder you can make a kickup rudder later.

On 10/16/2020 3:12 PM, cherrill boissonou wrote:
Thanks Andrew,
I’m also considering my age. It’s hard and awkward to lift and lower a dagger board or same style rudder.....and I’m conjuring-up an inside-the-cockpit geared wheel for a lee board.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


 

When I built my Duck, Greyhound, I put the daggerboard case inside the side airbox, with the airbox wall as one side of the case. I thought that if I built another, or a Goose, I might use a pivoting "offcenterboard" in the same place, with a lever on the pivot pin. A _lot more_ work than a leeboard or daggerboard. ;o)

I liked the cassette rudder just fine. A clever design. Michael Storer says a lot of Antipodean racing dinghies use them:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y6j24qye

or

https://www.storerboatplans.com/foils/the-standard-storer-boat-plans-kick-back-dagger-rudder/

On 10/16/2020 5:21 PM, Rich G wrote:
Pivot pin leeboard with inside lever assist?
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
The security of the Kingdom is increased by every man being more or less a sailor. (Capt. Marryat)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


cherrill boissonou
 

Thanks John,
Those plans are submerged in a stack on my desk....will get to them soon. I built a 14’x4’ x28” work table for the goose today. If 14’ prove unwieldy I’ll just lop 2’ off. Initially it will work out well for the sheet plywood work though.
Have you decided on a lunch date yet?
Earl

On Oct 17, 2020, at 12:46 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

A Michalak-style single leeboard is easily handled with two lanyards -- one to lower it and hold it down, and another to raise it and hold it up. The Piccup Pram plans I loaned you show the details, but here's an old article from Jim's newsletter:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y43tup49

or

http://www.jimsboats.com/webarchives/1998/15jun98.htm#Pivoting%20Leeboard%20Design

Duckworks sells "magic" cleats that release if you hit something with the leeboard:

https://www.duckworks.com/product-p/sd-002570-parent.htm

You should try the cassette rudder before dismissing it out of hand. The rudder blade isn't weighted, so it's easy to lift. When partly raised the cassette rudder works better than a partly raised kickup rudder. If you don't like the cassette rudder you can make a kickup rudder later.

On 10/16/2020 3:12 PM, cherrill boissonou wrote:
Thanks Andrew,
I’m also considering my age. It’s hard and awkward to lift and lower a dagger board or same style rudder.....and I’m conjuring-up an inside-the-cockpit geared wheel for a lee board.
--
John <jkohnen@boat-links.com>
They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety. (Benjamin Franklin)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com