Topics

Flailing for a shallow alarm system

Electri-Cal

Mumm, I just now ordered what I HOPE will be the answer to hanging the boat up on stuff.  I did order one at $56.00 - so half the price of the Norcross unit.  First, no sounding alarm, figuring if i'm in problem water I need to be aware at all times.  I don't need a Fish finder, got my original and it works.  So, I now have a waterproof hi def. lighted, and battery powered pipe bore scope.  Dumb, huh !!   I can put this  in a smaller tube,  fixed at an angle up front, imbed in a solid Bolger mini bump attached as needed, or tape fix to the bottom to test first.  That gives me an led lighted plus filmable photo chip setup, in a smaller sensor package, facing forwardish to get a full depth of field, depending on water clarity.  This sensor is way smaller than any fish finder, and easier to seal in for a good view.  Anyway, I will have it in about 2 weeks, and be ready to do the rest of the story.  Having some pix of this lash up will be available soon as I get 'er done.

Heres Hoping Folks, Keep 'er Tuned in ----  Porky Pig      ( not taking credit till it works, eh !! )

What depthsounder did you order, Cal? Link?

A through-hull transducer would have been easy enough to replace, if you bedded it in something less permanent than 5200... When mounting the transom mount transducer inside the boat, remove _all_ the wood below it and fill the hole with epoxy. Be careful to avoid bubbles in the goo. I think I'd just stick the transducer to the top of the epoxy filler with a glob of thickened epoxy. No messing with liquid filled tubes and such...

On 5/18/2020 11:05 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
Mumm, I just now ordered what I HOPE will be the answer to hanging the boat up on stuff.  I did order one at $56.00 - so half the price of the Norcross unit.
There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works. (Will Rogers)

that will be a (wait for it ) Surprise, until I see that it works.  Don't want to give out bad info. on untested stuff.  I am hoping my idea will work, and I could produce a finished product asap.  Thanks for asking, when ready will show and tell.
Yea, Coots ---  Porky Pig

On Mon, May 18, 2020 at 4:33 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
What depthsounder did you order, Cal? Link?

A through-hull transducer would have been easy enough to replace, if you
bedded it in something less permanent than 5200... When mounting the
transom mount transducer inside the boat, remove _all_ the wood below it
and fill the hole with epoxy. Be careful to avoid bubbles in the goo. I
think I'd just stick the transducer to the top of the epoxy filler with
a glob of thickened epoxy. No messing with liquid filled tubes and such...

On 5/18/2020 11:05 AM, Electri-Cal wrote:
> Mumm, I just now ordered what I HOPE will be the answer to hanging the
> boat up on stuff.  I did order one at $56.00 - so half the price of the
> Norcross unit.

There are two theories to arguing with a woman. Neither works. (Will Rogers)

Thanks, I will reply to all mail as possible ---  Cal

Electri-Cal

I contacted the Hawkeye folks for info on the inside hull mounting.  Yes, it works, but reduces the depth to some degree and you have to figure it out yourself.  The bottom is less defined, Muddy bottoms might drop out, sometimes obstructions do not show up as clearly as needed before contact, fish are more problematical, etc.  Depends on the type of unit, epoxy type and thickness, and the transducer shape, -- puck, or skimmer types.   Bottom line on inside install -- is how much reduction in performance can you deal with??  I'm not fond of glassed over holes either, ones the size of a pickup ( say 3 inches outside tube ) are not my idea of great.

 I chatted with a few folks on this, and what I am doing is in  "maybe, just try it first !!"  mode.  So, wait till I get done with the project for the moment, do some water testing and hopefully a good installation for real, and then I will have some demo stuff for intended use.  I have been known to roar off in pursuit of something that had side effects that killed the project, I THINK I can solve my dilemma , no guarantees for now.

Just thinking, maybe too mych !!  ----  Porky Pig       Thea,thea,thea, that's all folks !!            ( Still not admitting this !!  )

Richard Green

Of course, you might ask yourself is close or guesstimate is good enough.  If it is, maybe you didn't need a sounder at all.  Just me, but I want it to be accurate and thorough as can be.

Rich

On May 20, 2020, at 6:02 AM, Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

[...]

Yep, Rich!!  Being the guy who has ruined several props, torn off a lower unit, hung on logs at Toledo, I just gotta know whats DOWN there.  Stumps, logs, and rock piles where the big ones lurk all seem to gang up on me.  With the low water we now live with, I have seen the stumps in many lakes..  I see the bent props in every lakeside resort, and with two electric pods hanging down there, I'm not taking chances.   This from the guy who got a centerboard hung in logs at sundown at Lemolo lake.  If not for a good boat hook and luck, i'd be there yet.  Boy bscouts motto is the guide on any water, so I will have two units to save the day.

See you later, and thanks for the note,  --- cal

Myles Twete

Maybe it’s time for a prop guard…?

In 23+ years now with the Reach Of Tide, I’ve not damaged a prop even once after installing a prop guard---first one installed about 16 years ago.  I did finally destroy the prop guard itself dragging on the bottom this past December and had to replace it.  The new red 14” Prop Guard looks great with a new jet black paint job on the outboard.

Oh, don’t forget to unlock the lower unit so if you do hit something, it can ride over the object.

When I installed my first 14” prop guard, I needed to extend the outboard skeg.  Being cheap, I made an extension out of aluminum and JB Welded it to the bottom of the outboard.  It held thru a lot of log- and bottom-interference for maybe 14 years before finally letting go at the bottom of Cat’pillar island in December as I dragged the bottom.  It was a nice loud dramatic event until everything got quiet!  J

-MylesT

Yep, Rich!!  Being the guy who has ruined several props, torn off a lower unit, hung on logs at Toledo, I just gotta know whats DOWN there.  Stumps, logs, and rock piles where the big ones lurk all seem to gang up on me.  With the low water we now live with, I have seen the stumps in many lakes..  I see the bent props in every lakeside resort, and with two electric pods hanging down there, I'm not taking chances.   This from the guy who got a centerboard hung in logs at sundown at Lemolo lake.  If not for a good boat hook and luck, i'd be there yet.  Boy bscouts motto is the guide on any water, so I will have two units to save the day.

See you later, and thanks for the note,  --- cal

Here's Myles's first prop guard, and you can see his jackleg skeg extension if you look close:

https://flic.kr/p/pwsyc9

Didn't you say that you notices an improvement in performance after you put the prop-guard on, Myles?

On 5/20/2020 1:43 PM, Myles T wrote:
Maybe it’s time for a prop guard…?
In 23+ years now with the Reach Of Tide, I’ve not damaged a prop even once after installing a prop guard---first one installed about 16 years ago.
When I installed my first 14” prop guard, I needed to extend the outboard skeg.  Being cheap, I made an extension out of aluminum and JB Welded it to the bottom of the outboard.  It held thru a lot of log- and bottom-interference for maybe 14 years before finally letting go at the bottom of Cat’pillar island in December as I dragged the bottom.  It was a nice loud dramatic event until everything got quiet! J
Truth is the most valuable thing we have. Let us economize it. (Mark Twain)

Myles Twete

Dang, both the boat and I looked so much younger then!
At least the boat motor and prop guard both look like that again now...

Actually, that was the 2nd guard I used. The first (still have sitting in my basement) was more of a nozzle, black and fit just up to maybe a 10-12" prop---I added this guard to the stock prop and from what I could tell (and remember) did see some efficiency improvement. When I decided on going to a larger, 12-14" prop, I found "Propguard" had a 14" one, that was pretty bad-ass looking, so that's what I went with. I did some surgery to the lower unit to swing up to a 14" prop---the original ventilation plate wouldn't even allow an 11" prop probably---so I cut that out and located a new plate up the outboard a ways further (probably tack welded and JB Welded...). Then had to extend the skeg. Most recently, I had that skeg extension welded on, so I won't have the meltdown I had when dragging bottom next time. Anyway, I don't know how much after going to a 12" prop that I added the 14" propguard, but they were around the same time. Maybe someday I'll get a 14x11" prop to fit for even better efficiency, but overall, it's been good economy. A year ago, I circumnavigated Sauvie Island one day, for the first time solely on electric power and decided not to bring a generator just in case---made it back fine, but used more juice than I had anticipated...should do that again.

-MT

[...]

Hey, Myles long time no see !!  I like the idea of a propguard, I put in the twin skegs with an idea to design one for Surprise, then got sidetracked to other pressing stuff.  One hang up is that with the twin 80 lb size  motors,  i'm around 32 in. prop tip to other side tip horizontal.  Then maybe 20 or more in.to clear the tips depth wise.  That's a lot of area to hang a bird cage on!   Check the MinnKota twin 80 lb twins, they usually go on top of a cavitation plate, so these are solidly mounted upside down, as you probably recall, aluminum plate inside the hull.

That' also would be a lot of wire or steel work, a birdcage with potential to hang on stuff, maybe.  I did make angled fins that protect to over the nose cones, but had to leave the lower props exposed.  I carry spares if they get buggered, but the preferred props are a set of 3 bladed power props, not the twin blade stockers.  More power, noticeably less darw, using the Kipawas on my Minn Kotas.  If you stop the 2 bladers they stop horizontally every time, by design, good for the shallow stuff.

It crossed my mind at one point to make a recessed box with the motors being able to be raised, and a partial cutaway so they would run shallow, but decided that was out of my engineering department, and still is.

Best Wishes, thanks for the thoughts and ideas,   Cal