Topics

Algae Bloom at Fern Ridge

"Fern Ridge Lake has the most spectacular algae bloom I’ve ever seen. Pretty much wall to wall. Like a scene from a horror movie. I sometimes regret moving from a Day Sailer to a keelboat, but not today. I want to be as far from the water as possible." (Talbot B)

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ycm5wx8h

or

https://groups.io/g/Fernsail/topic/it_s_not_easy_being_green/74243836?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,74243836

Gonna go look for myself...

The sea washes off all the woes of men. (Joshua Slocum)

We’re gonna have to get used to those blooms it looks like. So many lakes and reservoirs coming down with it. Not a pretty picture.

Rich

On May 16, 2020, at 1:11 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

"Fern Ridge Lake has the most spectacular algae bloom I’ve ever seen. Pretty much wall to wall. Like a scene from a horror movie. I sometimes regret moving from a Day Sailer to a keelboat, but not today. I want to be as far from the water as possible." (Talbot B)

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ycm5wx8h

or

https://groups.io/g/Fernsail/topic/it_s_not_easy_being_green/74243836?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,74243836

Gonna go look for myself...

The sea washes off all the woes of men. (Joshua Slocum)

At Richardson Park the infestation is just around the shoreline and doesn't extend out to the end of E Dock. Yet. I haven't ventured out into the lake yet to see if there are rafts of the stuff in open water.

I took a few photos. I don't know much about algae, but I think the green globs may be ordinary algae. Unpleasant, but harmless. The weird colored bits are more interesting. When I've seen blue-green algae before -- or what I thought was b-g algae -- it was _bright_ green. This stuff makes me see why they named it what they did. <g> See attachments.

Not all blue-green algae are toxic -- they sell some of it in health food stores -- but since They no longer test Fern Ridge I suppose we'll never know what this stuff is. <sigh> Don't let your dog get in the water, or go swimming yourself. Our kind of boating should be OK.

On 5/16/2020 3:21 PM, Rich G wrote:
We’re gonna have to get used to those blooms it looks like. So many lakes and reservoirs coming down with it. Not a pretty picture.

https://preview.tinyurl.com/ycm5wx8h

or

https://groups.io/g/Fernsail/topic/it_s_not_easy_being_green/74243836?p=,,,20,0,0,0::recentpostdate%2Fsticky,,,20,2,0,74243836
For what do we live, but to make sport for our neighbors, and laugh at them in our turn? (Jane Austen)

Case Turner

Lakes over here get those too. Paulina has been loaded with it the last ten or more years.

Sent from not here

On May 17, 2020, at 2:06 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

[...]

<02-FernRidgeAlgae.jpg>
<03-FernRidgeAlgae.jpg>
<04-FernRidgeAlgae.jpg>
<05-FernRidgeAlgae.jpg>
--
Dirt

Shelley Hoose

We were there yesterday, and it was completely gone.  We spoke with a guy whose dog was playing in the water next to the launch, and he says he goes there every day.  He saw the bloom two days ago, didn't let his dog in.  Went back yesterday, and it was totally gone.

That was just at the launch. We did not walk around the docks to assess it further.

Yesterday, on an overcast day looking down into still water from the docks, I didn't notice what what Talbot was talking about. Today I stopped at the ramp right next to the dam, and where the light shone through the waves I could see that the water has a green hue, not the usual mud color. Could see it in the shallows at the beach at Orchard Point too. Millions of tiny dots of green in the water. It's not just globs and weird blue things.

On 5/17/2020 2:49 PM, Case wrote:
Lakes over here get those too. Paulina has been loaded with it the last ten or more years.
Good friends, good books, and a sleepy conscience: this is the ideal life. (Mark Twain)