Topics

New to me - shop tool storage

Electri-Cal

For radically improving most work shops, and having portable tool holders in convenient locations, this looks to be a great remodel idea.  Most are made from scrap wood, for a low cost approach solution.   Several sites on line show "French Cleats", as a systematic approach to shop easier tool handling practices.  Soon as I'm done of course, or mostly - with the new window wood valience, and the new design kayak paddle for a couple themed projects.  I did one project on better extension cord storage years ago.   Check out the 20 plus shop storage ideas, then also look at the 5 mistakes in building "French Cleat" types of tool storage on another related site, just in case.  Hummm, keeping tools handy as well as sharp makes the whole  building process easier and safer.

Check it out, Coots, ---  cal

Stephen Miller

I have used french cleats to create clamp racks and to hang some wood cabinets on the shop/garage walls.  They work great!

One tip is to save some small pieces of the cleats as templates for the next time.  Makes set up easier.

Steve Miller

Pete Leenhouts

I use this system in my garage shop (2 1/2 bay). Wooden tool boxes 24x48 inches are hung on the cleat, which is screwed into the wall studs with 3-inch deck screws. The tool boxes, which are made of 3/4 inch ply, are just hung on the cleat. Custom tool holders are used inside each box. I segregated the tools in each box by their use...there's one for chisels, drill bits, marking and measuring, saws and so forth. This system has been in place for 15 years, now.

While I think the French clear idea works extremely well, I don't think the box idea has worked equally well. It was ok when I had fewer tools, and but as the number of working tools increased, the boxes began to really cramp what I could do with respect to storage, and unnecessarily constricted the system's flexibility. (I admit to being somewhat of a pack rat when it comes to tools). My brother also uses French cleats, but doesn't use boxes. He built custom holders for his tools as I did but instead, just hangs those on the cleats, which seems to be a better system. I am not going to change my system - there is a box for just about everything I need and it helps me to know in an instant what is where and possibly more importantly what is missing. I can post pix if that would be of interest to the Coots.

Pete
Pete Leenhouts
MV RIPTIDE (stripping the forward head at the moment)