Topics

Real Computer Program to Use with Navionics

I just got around to looking at ExpertGPS, and the description on the Web page is impressive. But how do you get NOAA charts into the program?

On 3/17/2020 12:01 PM, George C wrote:
John,
I have been using ExpertGPS on my PC to look at charts, create trip plans, create waypoints and routes to be uploaded to my Garmin, and then download the tracks from the Garmin to the software. I has detailed US Nautical charts built in and you can load your own charts. Unfortunately, it only has a 30day free trial period then you have to pay $75. It seems to be a one man operation, but the owner has been good at answering my questions.
ExpertGPS - GPS Mapping Software for Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, Eagle GPS
https://www.expertgps.com/

What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? (Billy Atkin)

George C

I haven't tried it myself, but since it doesn't have detailed Canadian charts, I will have to load them. From my understanding, there are two ways.

You can use the Scanned Maps feature in ExpertGPS to display digital
charts, USGS DRGs, or your own scanned paper maps. There is a procedure to prepare and geo-reference your maps for use within the program.

Also, it allows you to view street maps, topo maps, aerial photos, and nautical charts. It relies on various Internet map servers to provide these mapping services. You can override the default map services in ExpertGPS to access your own preferred map servers.

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 5:13:02 PM PDT, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

I just got around to looking at ExpertGPS, and the description on the
Web page is impressive. But how do you get NOAA charts into the program?

On 3/17/2020 12:01 PM, George C wrote:
> John,
>
> I have been using ExpertGPS on my PC to look at charts, create trip
> plans, create waypoints and routes to be uploaded to my Garmin, and then
> download the tracks from the Garmin to the software. I has detailed US
> Nautical charts built in and you can load your own charts.
> Unfortunately, it only has a 30day free trial period then you have to
> pay $75. It seems to be a one man operation, but the owner has been good
> at answering my questions.
>
> ExpertGPS - GPS Mapping Software for Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, Eagle
> GPS
https://www.expertgps.com/

What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? (Billy Atkin)

George C

John,

I re-read your email and feel I didn't answer it correctly. ExpertGPS comes with detailed NOAA US Coastal and Great Lakes charts. On your computer, it looks just like paper NOAA charts. You just have to set the default map to Nautical.

If you are wanting other charts or need detailed charts for Canadian waters,  there are ways to load them into the program.

George

On Sunday, March 22, 2020, 05:13:02 PM PDT, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

I just got around to looking at ExpertGPS, and the description on the
Web page is impressive. But how do you get NOAA charts into the program?

On 3/17/2020 12:01 PM, George C wrote:
> John,
>
> I have been using ExpertGPS on my PC to look at charts, create trip
> plans, create waypoints and routes to be uploaded to my Garmin, and then
> download the tracks from the Garmin to the software. I has detailed US
> Nautical charts built in and you can load your own charts.
> Unfortunately, it only has a 30day free trial period then you have to
> pay $75. It seems to be a one man operation, but the owner has been good
> at answering my questions.
>
> ExpertGPS - GPS Mapping Software for Garmin, Magellan, Lowrance, Eagle
> GPS
https://www.expertgps.com/

What is more pleasant than a friendly little yacht, a long stretch of
smooth water, a gentle breeze, the stars? (Billy Atkin)

Thanks, George. But I can't find where to set the default map. When I look in ExpertGPS's help, all I find for "nautical chart" is an entry on using scanned and calibrated maps, and there's nothing for "default map". <sigh> My free trial is just about done, so I won't bother with ExpertGPS anymore. It seems to be a good program for handling lots of different types of maps, but not intended for us boaters.

I noticed something curious when looking at a GPX file made by OziExplorer. I don't yet know what this stuff in the header means, but TopoGrafix is the outfit that sells ExpertGPS!

<gpx
xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1"
creator="OziExplorer Version 3956f - http://www.oziexplorer.com"
version="1.1"
xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1 http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">

https://www.topografix.com/

On 3/26/2020 10:44 AM, George C wrote:
John,
I re-read your email and feel I didn't answer it correctly. ExpertGPS comes with detailed NOAA US Coastal and Great Lakes charts. On your computer, it looks just like paper NOAA charts. You just have to set the default map to Nautical.
If you are wanting other charts or need detailed charts for Canadian waters,  there are ways to load them into the program.
The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of civilization. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

George C

John,

On the top, horizontal menu bar is "Map". The forth item down in the Map menu is "additional base map types". In there you will find Show Nautical Chart. That sets the default base map.

George

On Thursday, March 26, 2020, 06:32:33 PM PDT, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

Thanks, George. But I can't find where to set the default map. When I
look in ExpertGPS's help, all I find for "nautical chart" is an entry on
using scanned and calibrated maps, and there's nothing for "default
map". <sigh> My free trial is just about done, so I won't bother with
ExpertGPS anymore. It seems to be a good program for handling lots of
different types of maps, but not intended for us boaters.

I noticed something curious when looking at a GPX file made by
OziExplorer. I don't yet know what this stuff in the header means, but
TopoGrafix is the outfit that sells ExpertGPS!

<gpx
  xmlns="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1"
  creator="OziExplorer Version 3956f - http://www.oziexplorer.com"
  version="1.1"
  xsi:schemaLocation="http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1
http://www.topografix.com/GPX/1/1/gpx.xsd">

https://www.topografix.com/

On 3/26/2020 10:44 AM, George C wrote:
> John,
>
> I re-read your email and feel I didn't answer it correctly. ExpertGPS
> comes with detailed NOAA US Coastal and Great Lakes charts. On your
> computer, it looks just like paper NOAA charts. You just have to set the
> default map to Nautical.
>
> If you are wanting other charts or need detailed charts for Canadian
> waters,  there are ways to load them into the program.

The end of the human race will be that it will eventually die of
civilization. (Ralph Waldo Emerson)

Mark Neuhaus

Hi George,

On Thu, Mar 26, 2020 at 10:44 AM George C via Groups.Io <glcost2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
John,

I re-read your email and feel I didn't answer it correctly. ExpertGPS comes with detailed NOAA US Coastal and Great Lakes charts. On your computer, it looks just like paper NOAA charts. You just have to set the default map to Nautical.

I, too, am having trouble with the 5-day trial version and trying to use NOAA charts.

I see in the menu where to set nautical charts as the default.

You say it comes with charts. The trial version contains no charts or maps of any type that I can see.  And from their online help page (I really, really hate programs that make me be online to get help), it seems that it will download tiles to my hard drive.  Are they saying I can't simply copy a BSB/KAP file to a directory on my hard drive?  I have to go online to get a new area??????

Am I missing something?

Thanks,
Mark

George C

Hi Mark,

Wow, it's only giving a 5 day trail? When I did the free trial 2 years ago I got a 14 days (I believe). Also, I was able to set the base default to nautical charts. It almost sounds like ExpectGPS reduced the capaciblities of the trail version.

On the purchased version which I have, I get the NOAA charts. Now, looking through the installation area, I don't see any BSB or KAP file. I just turned off my internet and tried zooming into a chart to see detail. No map was found. When I turned on my internet access, the detailed chart appeared. So I believe you are right. You need internet access to first download the areas of interest. According to ExpertGPS' website,  once the map/chart area is download to your computer you can continue to use it in the field.

The help is online too. It's not something I like either, but that's how everyone does it now.

Hope that helps,

George

On Fri, Mar 27, 2020 at 10:41 AM George C via Groups.Io <glcost2=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
 When I did the free trial 2 years ago I got a 14 days (I believe).

I thought it was for longer, also, so was surprised to see the notice of 5 days.  That's okay, as what else am I gonna do these days?  :-)

Also, I was able to set the base default to nautical charts. It almost sounds like ExpectGPS reduced the capaciblities of the trail version.

It shows a bullet for nautical charts, indicating that would be the default.  But since I hadn't realized I had to go online to get the tiled maps, and assumed I could point to my BSB_root folder for it to use, no nautical map showed up. That's when I tried to use their help feature and had to go online and then found out the need to download tiles through their server..

So I believe you are right. You need internet access to first download the areas of interest. According to ExpertGPS' website,  once the map/chart area is download to your computer you can continue to use it in the field.

Yep, that is what I finally figured out.  So as long as you get the tiles ahead of time for the areas you plan to go to, you should be okay.

On my android tablets and phones, I use an app called Backcountry Navigator that does the same tile download process for all the different maps they offer, including NOAA charts.  That's okay as long as you know where you are going on this trip and at what scale you need the maps.

I use Garmin's MapSource on my old winXP machine for planning routes and viewing my tracks. It came with my garmin gpsmap76cx receiver years ago, and I bought the BlueChart nautical charts at that time. Their newer program is called Homeport, and I finally decided to play with that a bit. Neither one allows importing NOAA charts, although I am exploring ways to convert the KAP files to a format that garmin can use.

And neither one of those allow active tracking with a GPS hooked up to the computer.  Which, for me, isn't the end of the world, as I have the maps and routes in my GPS receiver and can see my track on the nautical chart as I travel.  Easy to transfer the tracks back to the computer for storage later.

I'm learning to like the OpenCPN program, so will start to play with that more. I look forward to John's presentation on it when we finally meet up for the class.

 Thanks again,
Mark

I hope we can meet up for the workshop before long, at least before the Salish 100. The end of May reschedule is looking less and less likely every day. <sigh> Bit as events get cancelled and rescheduled the calendar opens up! ;o) I don't think there will be a Fern Ridge boat show this year, so that opens up a date in June...

I'll start some little tutorials on OpenCPN like I've been doing with Navionics. They're no substitute for in person discussion, but if we give attendees a head start with the basics, we can discuss more advance topics at the Workshop.

On 3/27/2020 1:18 PM, Mark N wrote:
I'm learning to like the OpenCPN program, so will start to play with that more. I look forward to John's presentation on it when we finally meet up for the class.
Life's more amusing than we thought. (Andrew Lang)

I got a reply from Dan at TopoGrafix, who told me that you need to recenter the map over a coastal area to see the option for setting the base map to nautical charts. Why? It seems like nautical charts were an afterthought to the designers. Woulda been easy enough to mention that on the Help page anyway. <sigh> I'm really not very happy with ExpertGPS's user friendliness...

For us small boaters, ExpertGPS is gonna be used at home to plan out trips and plot waypoints and routes. Downloading the charts only when requested isn't a problem for that use, and only a minor annoyance if you plan on using the program in a boat (unless you're trying to find PT Boat Haven in a dense fog and discover that the only charts in your handheld GPS are highway maps. Ask how I know. <g>). Navionics is the same way. More on that in another tutorial soon...

On 3/27/2020 10:41 AM, George C wrote:
Hi Mark,
Wow, it's only giving a 5 day trail? When I did the free trial 2 years ago I got a 14 days (I believe). Also, I was able to set the base default to nautical charts. It almost sounds like ExpectGPS reduced the capaciblities of the trail version.
On the purchased version which I have, I get the NOAA charts. Now, looking through the installation area, I don't see any BSB or KAP file. I just turned off my internet and tried zooming into a chart to see detail. No map was found. When I turned on my internet access, the detailed chart appeared. So I believe you are right. You need internet access to first download the areas of interest. According to ExpertGPS' website,  once the map/chart area is download to your computer you can continue to use it in the field.
After all, all he did was string together a lot of old, well-known quotations. (H. L. Mencken on Shakespeare)

Bob Larkin

A reminder that NOAA is phasing out RNC raster charts.  To the extent you can, keep files of current chart files to support anything that can use them, like OpenCPN.  At least for local waters.  NOAA does not say they will warn people when the remove a particular chart.  The rocks and shoals will be pretty accurate on the old charts but aids to navigation may not be.

And of course, ENC charts will always be available from NOAA.  In the future, the ENC, along with Local Notice to Mariners
https://www.navcen.uscg.gov/?pageName=lnmMain
will be the latest information.  To defend the RNC/ENC decision, it is almost impossible to have the RNC as up-to-date as the ENC.

Just wondering, has anyone learned to like ENC better than RNC?

 Bob

Bob Larkin

Slightly related - NOAA used to do 18423 and 18445 "Small Craft Series" for Puget Sound, that in printed form were a wonderful solution to having something!  These have been discontinued in print AND in file form.  But, if anybody is interested, I have the *files* for 2015, near the end of there run.  They are big, but if anyone wants these, I could try to post these for others.  If you have printed versions, keep them!   Bob

cherrill boissonou

Jeez...I don’t know ,Bob.....I just stare-off in the distance, pick some mythological point, and head for it......I magically avoid rocks and other protrusions by thinking positive thoughts and repeating my mantra over and over: “It’s always worked, It’s always wor........
Sounds pretty good, huh.
Earl

On Mar 28, 2020, at 12:21 PM, Bob Larkin <bob@...> wrote:

Slightly related - NOAA used to do 18423 and 18445 "Small Craft Series" for Puget Sound, that in printed form were a wonderful solution to having something!  These have been discontinued in print AND in file form.  But, if anybody is interested, I have the *files* for 2015, near the end of there run.  They are big, but if anyone wants these, I could try to post these for others.  If you have printed versions, keep them!   Bob

Richard Green

Same technique I have used.  Also, one can listen for the frogs near shore as they holler out the water depth which you can hear as you get too close to the shore.  Knee deep, knee deep they sing.

Rich