Topics

Wood lathe

Teresa Pittman

Does the boathouse have a use for a wood lathe? Thought I'd ask. It's an older lathe that has been converted to variable speed. Has the woodworking tools too.

“Throw out the radio and take the fiddle down from the wall.”
— Andrew Nelson Lytle, Tennessee, 1930

Joe Novello

Actually we do. I was just going to bring my lathe in from home and teach a class this week to the crew.

--
Joe Novello

Teresa Pittman

Lon picked this up when he was learning to turn. I'd be happy to donate it to you.

On Mar 7, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Joe Novello <joenovello3@...> wrote:

Actually we do. I was just going to bring my lathe in from home and teach a class this week to the crew.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 4:03 PM Teresa Pittman <teri.pittman@...> wrote:

Does the boathouse have a use for a wood lathe?  Thought I'd ask. It's an older lathe that has been converted to variable speed. Has the woodworking tools too.

“Throw out the radio and take the fiddle down from the wall.”
— Andrew Nelson Lytle, Tennessee, 1930

--
Joe Novello

Teresa Pittman

I did find pictures of it. It's been unused for several years but was working fine.

On Mar 7, 2020, at 5:16 PM, Teresa Pittman via Groups.Io <teri.pittman@...> wrote:

Lon picked this up when he was learning to turn. I'd be happy to donate it to you.

“Throw out the radio and take the fiddle down from the wall.”
— Andrew Nelson Lytle, Tennessee, 1930

On Mar 7, 2020, at 4:06 PM, Joe Novello <joenovello3@...> wrote:

Actually we do. I was just going to bring my lathe in from home and teach a class this week to the crew.

On Sat, Mar 7, 2020 at 4:03 PM Teresa Pittman <teri.pittman@...> wrote:

Does the boathouse have a use for a wood lathe?  Thought I'd ask. It's an older lathe that has been converted to variable speed. Has the woodworking tools too.

“Throw out the radio and take the fiddle down from the wall.”
— Andrew Nelson Lytle, Tennessee, 1930

--
Joe Novello

David Graybeal

I remember when Lon got that. IIRC, it was a nice lathe. And lathes don't much wear out or go bad. Should be a nice addition to the Toledo shop.

Teresa Pittman

I think it was late 40s, common brand like Wards. I think he'd be happy to see it at the boat house. Just gotta figure a way to get it there.

On Mar 7, 2020, at 5:32 PM, David Graybeal via Groups.Io <harbordavid@...> wrote:

I remember when Lon got that. IIRC, it was a nice lathe. And lathes don't much wear out or go bad. Should be a nice addition to the Toledo shop.

I'm going by the Boathouses in Toledo on Thursday. If someone can get it to the Denny's in Albany, by the Hwy 20 exit, at quarter to one, I'll buy them lunch and take the lathe the rest of the way. I could also pick it up somewhere else that wasn't too far off my route. Let me know ahead of time so I can take the pickup.

Lathes are fun, and useful too. :o) I guess we'll never want for belaying pins from now on. <g> In addition to turning wood, if you get a three jaw chuck for it and you can turn brass freehand using scrapers and files.

On March 7, 2020 5:50:25 PM PST, Teri wrote:that wasn't too far off my route.

I think it was late 40s, common brand like Wards. I think he'd be happy
to see it at the boat house. Just gotta figure a way to get it there.
A facility for quotation covers the absence of original thought. (Lord Peter Wimsey)
Sent from some sort of mobile device.o I can take the pickup.

Teresa Pittman

I might be able to get a younger guy to help load. If no one else is headed your way, I'll see if I can take the day off and move it in the truck.

On Mar 7, 2020, at 10:26 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

[...]

Hi Theresa,

It is very generous of you to donate the lathe to the boathouse. I don't want to cause you any inconvenience in getting it to us. I can make arrangements to come pick it up when you are home so you don't have to take a day off work.  You can write me directly :joenovello3@... if that might work better for all.

Thank you,

Joe