Topics

Good Shiphandling

I think these videos show some pretty darn good shiphandling, docking a passenger ship downwind in a gale. They dropped anchor and then either payed the cable out or let the anchor drag to slow the downwind drift, using the main engines (and maybe stern thruster?) to keep the ship parallel to the pier. Good job!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yxx7xz9b

or

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/video-high-winds-blow-hurtigruten-cruise-ship-against-pier

A fine time of year to take a cruise to northern Norway. <g>

Nearly all of our disasters come from a few fools having the courage of their convictions. (Coventry Patmore)

cherrill boissonou

I had to laugh at my own docking experiences with dr. Petra!....Earl

On Jan 31, 2020, at 11:48 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@boat-links.com> wrote:

I think these videos show some pretty darn good shiphandling, docking a passenger ship downwind in a gale. They dropped anchor and then either payed the cable out or let the anchor drag to slow the downwind drift, using the main engines (and maybe stern thruster?) to keep the ship parallel to the pier. Good job!

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yxx7xz9b

or

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/video-high-winds-blow-hurtigruten-cruise-ship-against-pier

A fine time of year to take a cruise to northern Norway. <g>

Nearly all of our disasters come from a few fools having the courage of their convictions. (Coventry Patmore)

I'll bet we've all had some embarrassing moments when trying to dock. I know I have! <g>

Docking parallel to a pier dead downwind in storm winds has gotta be the toughest challenge. At least the Hurtigruten skipper didn't have to squeeze his ship into a tight spot between two other ships... Another Hurtigruten ferry faced with a similar situation in the same storm gave up and went someplace else.

On 1/31/2020 2:19 PM, Earl wrote:
I had to laugh at my own docking experiences with dr. Petra!....Earl

https://preview.tinyurl.com/yxx7xz9b

or

https://www.maritime-executive.com/article/video-high-winds-blow-hurtigruten-cruise-ship-against-pier
It's hard to be religious when certain people are never incinerated by bolts of lightning. (Bill Watterson)