Topics

Coots Electronics Workshop, March 21st

jim reim

I plan to participate in the electronics workshop, and I will bring a friend.

Dan

Wow!  That’s a modern one…automagic.

johnacord

Hey Dan,

Put this on the front seat of your truck and you won't have any trouble finding your way....   ;-)

John

Dan

I’m afraid my gear ain’t been all fivers for some time, now…but, at least,  I don’t get “ZBM-2” on the comeback real often.  Not, yet.  Dan.

Richard Green

You know, I usta raise them germaniums, mighty purty flowers!

On Jan 29, 2020, at 6:16 AM, Dan <@capndan> wrote:

Got the whisker right on the sweet spot in my germanium diode...a long
wire strung from my window to a tree limb...CQ...CQ...

Richard Green

Five by five here and that’s a big 10 4, good buddy!

On Jan 29, 2020, at 6:16 AM, Dan <@capndan> wrote:

Got the whisker right on the sweet spot in my germanium diode...a long
wire strung from my window to a tree limb...CQ...CQ...

Dan

Got the whisker right on the sweet spot in my germanium diode...a long
wire strung from my window to a tree limb...CQ...CQ...

So all we need to do is set up an AM radio station for Dan to zero in on with an old transistor radio. Coot talk radio? ;o)

On 1/27/2020 5:47 PM, john a wrote:
A simple AM radio with a ferrite rod antenna works!
Familiarity breeds contempt. How accurate that is. The reason we hold truth in such respect is because we have so little opportunity to get familiar with it. (Mark Twain)

johnacord

A simple AM radio with a ferrite rod antenna works!

John Acord

Jim Young

He may have one John.

On Mon, Jan 27, 2020 at 4:11 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
We'll set up a longwave radio station at the Boathouse and you can use
your radio direction finder to home in on us. <g>

On 1/27/2020 12:21 AM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
> John.  I’d like to come to your charting workshop, but I’d prolly get
> lost trying to find it.  Dan.

I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns
it on, I go to the library and read a good book. (Groucho Marx)

--
Jim Young,
mostly retired

We'll set up a longwave radio station at the Boathouse and you can use your radio direction finder to home in on us. <g>

On 1/27/2020 12:21 AM, Dan in Almostcanada wrote:
John.  I’d like to come to your charting workshop, but I’d prolly get lost trying to find it.  Dan.
I must say I find television very educational. The minute somebody turns it on, I go to the library and read a good book. (Groucho Marx)

Dan

John.  I’d like to come to your charting workshop, but I’d prolly get lost trying to find it.  Dan.

Your laptop doesn't have to know where you are to plan voyages, set waypoints and set up routes. After you get that done, you plug the pocket GPS into a USB port on the computer and transfer the data from the computer to the GPS. You'd go mad trying to do all that on the handheld! <g>

It's easier to do waypoints and routes on a tablet, a phone would be somewhere in between. It's still easiest to do the planning stuff on a "real" computer and transfer it to the mobile device.

What model is you GPS, Rich? Some ancient ones might not work with modern nav programs...

On 1/26/2020 4:21 PM, Rich G wrote:
Does that CPN seem to suggest a laptop will have a GPS potential within it? I don’t think my laptop, Mac Air Pro, has GPS within.
I have never in my life learned anything from any man who agreed with me. (Dudley Field Malone)

Richard Green

Does that CPN seem to suggest a laptop will have a GPS potential within it? I don’t think my laptop, Mac Air Pro, has GPS within.

As regards cylinders, I tell folks I’m as good as I’ll ever be again and pretty sure that’s accurate. Of course, I also tell the younger ladies, “Hi, I’m Rich”. Hasn’t worked so far but a guy can hold out hope…..

Rich

On Jan 26, 2020, at 2:15 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

Only hitting on four cylinders. What's going on with the other two -- ignition? valves? ;o) I hope your mechanics get you back on the road soon.

Technology has moved on a ways from small handheld GPSes. The workshop will mostly be about navigating using cell phones or tablets, but bring your wee GPS over and we'll try to teach you how to put waypoints into it. Hint: It's much easier to use a nav program on your home computer to plan your voyage and set your waypoints, then load them into the GPS. OpenCPN is a free one, and it's got easier to use:

https://opencpn.org/

The version for mobile devices will be one of the nav programs I'll be talking about in my portion of the proceedings. Maybe I should cover the PC version too, since it's always easier to plan voyages on a "real" computer.

The other program I'll talk about is the mobile device version of Navionics:

https://www.navionics.com/

Six cylinders? I thought you were a straight eight, Rich. ;o)

https://bringatrailer.com/listing/1947-buick-super/

On 1/26/2020 1:22 PM, Rich G wrote:
Sent an email to a guy on here in which I suggested I’m operating on all cylinders now what with repairs and new parts off the shelf but in retrospect I’m really only operating on four of six cylinders. Still, enough to get me around town, so to speak.
Women and cats will do as they please, and men and dogs should relax and get used to the idea. (Robert A. Heinlein)

[...]

elaineginader

This all sounds great to me. I would like to start the list of participants.

On Sun, Jan 26, 2020, 1:58 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
That's the idea. The Megalopolitan Coots will have to start at the crack
of dawn to get to Toledo by ten, but they're a hardy bunch. <g>

We should make people register for the workshop, so we'll know how big
of a space we'll need to carve out in the Boathouse, and otherwise get
prepared...

On 1/26/2020 9:53 AM, David G wrote:
> Sounds good. Give the Portland contingent time to get there... assuming
> we manage it.

Literally no man has more wholly outlived life than I. And still it's
good fun. (Robert Louis Stevenson)

On Jan 26, 2020, at 9:53 AM, David Graybeal via Groups.Io <harbordavid@...> wrote:

Sounds good. Give the Portland contingent time to get there... assuming we manage it.

David Graybeal

Sounds good. Give the Portland contingent time to get there... assuming we manage it.

Richard Green

Is FINALLY figuring out how I might use my remaining handheld GPS to set and retrieve waypoints likely to be covered? Or should I be looking locally for specific help? I mean, I’ve had this unit and one other unit for years and have done speed over ground and location and such but never figured out the waypoints. I confess I’m not good with reading directions, more of a visual learner I guess.

Horribly chagrined,

Rich

On Jan 25, 2020, at 2:46 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

We'll better know when the workshop will start after we nail down the curriculum. But it won't be at the crack of dawn. More likely about 10:00.

On 1/24/2020 4:47 PM, Elaine wrote:
Around what time on Saturday?
I know there's a proverb which that says "to err is human", but a human error is nothing to what a computer can do if it tries. (Agatha Christie)