Topics

Very Cheap or Free Weekender

Nobody has called Scott about the Stevenson Weekender in his yard. I'd hate for it to be broken up. The boat has a broken bowsprit and the motor mount tore off of the transom (from using too heavy a motor), sustained during the Salish 100. They finished. Otherwise, I don't think it's any worse than Queen Boadicea was when she came into the Coots' orbit. There are no sails. Scott will sell you a trailer to haul it off on, but if you bring your own trailer and don't bother Scott's crew too much I'll bet he'll give you the boat for free. Scott Coleman: 541-954-7223

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/albums/72157711328760558

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=salish%20weekender

BTW, I've got a trailer I'll give away, buyt I'd like something for the tires on it. Needs a new tongue. I got Pickle a new (used) trailer instead of doing the repair:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/albums/72157661896227089
--
John (@Jkohnen)
Let the summer passes quickly and let the winter comes slowly and so we may have longer autumn, The Golden Kingdom! (Mehmet Murat Ildan)

Richard Green

I have a six foot 3 X 3 galvanized tongue for cheep. I still have the Honda 2 h.p. at 400. to a coot.

I see a lot of work on that weekender, lots of weather checking which would require some paint removal/sanding/filling to repair. Bowsprit be a pretty easy fix to scarf or replace, I’d think. I can’t tell what the monster beam on the foredeck is about. The transom would be easy enough to repair and beef up. My Honda 2 hp or my Tohatsu 3.5 would look good on that boat, then.

Rich

On Oct 13, 2019, at 7:30 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

[...]

The "monster beam" on the foredeck is the lower part of the mast. I won't call it a tabernacle, but it serves the same purpose. It's got a hinge loose-pin hinge on top, with the other half of the hinge on the bottom of the rest of the mast:

https://flic.kr/p/2huFJLW

I'm still interested in the Honda, if it can be arranged for me to see it.

On 10/13/2019 7:48 PM, Rich G wrote:
I have a six foot 3 X 3 galvanized tongue for cheep. I still have the Honda 2 h.p. at 400. to a coot.
I see a lot of work on that weekender, lots of weather checking which would require some paint removal/sanding/filling to repair. Bowsprit be a pretty easy fix to scarf or replace, I’d think. I can’t tell what the monster beam on the foredeck is about. The transom would be easy enough to repair and beef up. My Honda 2 hp or my Tohatsu 3.5 would look good on that boat, then.
--
John (@Jkohnen)
Whenever I hear anyone arguing for torture, I feel a strong impulse to see it tried on him personally. (John Kohnen, paraphrasing Abraham Lincoln on slavery)

bryanbeachy@ymail.com

Wasn't Nereid the name of Corbett's hell afloat?  Kind of an unlucky name for a boat.

That's a (presumably) literary reference that went right by me. Have I managed to miss out on a good story? <g> All that comes to mind is the song "Corbitt's Barkentine" about an apparently happy voyage to Demerara in a Bluenose ship.

"The rising sun next morning shone on six seamen bold,
And one big dog named Rover made seven hands all told.
He was chum of the second mate, for when his watch was done,
Instead of going forward he would lie aft in the sun

"Now, I think they were connected, if rightly I may guess,
For neither one spoke English but they both said 'ja' for 'yes.' "

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pf-9uJLAHSU

The Weekender Nereid did indeed have bad luck on the Salish 100, but she persisted, and delivered her crew intact in Port Townsend. If the name worries you, all you need to do is supply Andrew with a funny hat and some good brew and he can mumble some incantations to cleanse the boat of its past sins and give it a new name. But that is a nice _single_ nameboard. <g> There were too many boats on the Salish 100 with their name on only one side -- usually not the side I was taking a picture of. <sigh>

The price is right for Nereid:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/albums/72157711328760558

https://www.flickr.com/search/?text=salish%20weekender

Scott Coleman: 541-954-7223

On 10/17/2019 12:03 PM, Bryan B wrote:
Wasn't Nereid the name of Corbett's hell afloat?  Kind of an unlucky name for a boat.
--
John (@Jkohnen)
A man thinks that by mouthing hard words he understands hard things. (Herman Melville)

Claire Acord

John!  I am shocked and amazed...hint...
Jack Aubrey’s first squadron command!  Sigh, how soon we forget.  ; p
A glass of wine with you sir!
Best
Claire

--
John (jkohnen@...)
A man thinks that by mouthing hard words he understands hard things.
(Herman Melville)

--
Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org

Richard Green

Nereid was also a name for large boat designed by……….famous designer whom we all admire from the last century.

Rich

On Oct 17, 2019, at 10:02 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

[...]

The Nereids were sea nymphs in Greek mythology. If you see a picture of Poseidon consorting with a bevy of nubile young ladies, those are Nereids. There's also a family of sea worms called Nereids. So "Nereid" is a pretty common name for a boat.

Captain Nat Herreshoff designed, and Herreshoff Manufacturing built, a steam yacht named Nereid in the 1880s.

On 10/18/2019 8:46 AM, Rich G wrote:
Nereid was also a name for large boat designed by……….famous designer whom we all admire from the last century.
--
John (@Jkohnen)
Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind. (W. Somerset Maugham)

Doh! The Mauritius Command. A bit of poking around the Interweb is bringing it all back... But Corbett's command was the "Nereide", a captured French ship, or a British built ship named after a captured French ship, as was their wont back then. The Weekender is named after a British/American sea nymph, not a French one. ;o)

We use Nereids for bait, the Vietnamese think they're a delicacy:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nereididae

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xw1EodzDEjo

On 10/18/2019 8:04 AM, Claire wrote:
John!  I am shocked and amazed...hint...
Jack Aubrey’s first squadron command!  Sigh, how soon we forget.  ; p
A glass of wine with you sir!
--
John (@Jkohnen)
Outside of a dog, a book is a man's best friend. Inside of a dog, it's too dark to read. (Groucho Marx)

Pete Leenhouts

Actually, it’s my understanding that the Nerieds, all 50 of them, were Poseidon’s daughters!

Pete Leenhouts
An admirer of The Coots!

Sent from a mobile device;
Please pardon my brevity!

On Oct 18, 2019, at 2:44 PM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

The Nereids were sea nymphs in Greek mythology. If you see a picture of Poseidon consorting with a bevy of nubile young ladies, those are Nereids. There's also a family of sea worms called Nereids. So "Nereid" is a pretty common name for a boat.

Captain Nat Herreshoff designed, and Herreshoff Manufacturing built, a steam yacht named Nereid in the 1880s.

On 10/18/2019 8:46 AM, Rich G wrote:
Nereid was also a name for large boat designed by……….famous designer whom we all admire from the last century.

--
John (jkohnen@...)
Like all weak men he laid an exaggerated stress on not changing one's mind. (W. Somerset Maugham)

Welcome aboard, Pete! We'll make a Coot out of you yet. <g>

The Nereids are the daughters of Nereus and Doris, Poseidon married one of them, Amphitrite.

"They often accompany Poseidon, the god of the sea, and can be friendly and helpful to sailors....

"They symbolized everything that is beautiful and kind about the sea. Their melodious voices sang as they danced around their father. They are represented as very beautiful girls, crowned with branches of red coral and dressed in white silk robes trimmed with gold, but who went barefoot. They were part of Poseidon's entourage and carried his trident."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nereid

A good name for a boat.

But since when have Greek gods worried about a little incest anyway, or even cross-species trysts! ;o)

On 10/18/2019 4:13 PM, Pete L wrote:
Actually, it’s my understanding that the Nerieds, all 50 of them, were Poseidon’s daughters!
Pete Leenhouts
An admirer of The Coots!
--
John (@Jkohnen)
Skepticism, like chastity, should not be relinquished too readily. (George Santayana)

Mike Leibbrandt

Okay folks we purchased a 29 ft sailboat who is available to instruct a sailing voyage to move her from Hayden island to illwaco. Please and Thank you

On Mon, Oct 14, 2019 at 8:32 PM, John Kohnen
<jkohnen@...> wrote:
The "monster beam" on the foredeck is the lower part of the mast. I
won't call it a tabernacle, but it serves the same purpose. It's got a
hinge loose-pin hinge on top, with the other half of the hinge on the
bottom of the rest of the mast:

https://flic.kr/p/2huFJLW

I'm still interested in the Honda, if it can be arranged for me to see it.

On 10/13/2019 7:48 PM, Rich G wrote:
> I have a six foot 3 X 3 galvanized tongue for cheep.  I still have the Honda 2 h.p. at 400. to a coot.
>
> I see a lot of work on that weekender, lots of weather checking which would require some paint removal/sanding/filling to repair.  Bowsprit be a pretty easy fix to scarf or replace, I’d think.  I can’t tell what the monster beam on the foredeck is about.  The transom would be easy enough to repair and beef up.  My Honda 2 hp or my Tohatsu 3.5 would look good on that boat, then.
--
John (jkohnen@...)
Whenever I hear anyone arguing for torture, I feel a strong impulse to
see it tried on him personally. (John Kohnen, paraphrasing Abraham
Lincoln on slavery)

Electri-Cal

I guess specifically I couldn't do that trip.  Should be other Coots who could.  If Mike had brought the lapstrake to shows, more coots as friends might have been recruited for a trip.Sorry about that, Mike ,,,,   Cal

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy smartphone.

<jkohnen@...> wrote:
The "monster beam" on the foredeck is the lower part of the mast. I
won't call it a tabernacle, but it serves the same purpose. It's got a
hinge loose-pin hinge on top, with the other half of the hinge on the
bottom of the rest of the mast:

https://flic.kr/p/2huFJLW

I'm still interested in the Honda, if it can be arranged for me to see it.

On 10/13/2019 7:48 PM, Rich G wrote:
> I have a six foot 3 X 3 galvanized tongue for cheep.  I still have the Honda 2 h.p. at 400. to a coot.
>
> I see a lot of work on that weekender, lots of weather checking which would require some paint removal/sanding/filling to repair.  Bowsprit be a pretty easy fix to scarf or replace, I’d think.  I can’t tell what the monster beam on the foredeck is about.  The transom would be easy enough to repair and beef up.  My Honda 2 hp or my Tohatsu 3.5 would look good on that boat, then.
--
John (jkohnen@...)
Whenever I hear anyone arguing for torture, I feel a strong impulse to
see it tried on him personally. (John Kohnen, paraphrasing Abraham
Lincoln on slavery)

Claire Acord

Hi Mike,
I would say go to this website and prepare to pay the piper    http://www.dudleyboats.com/
a shakedown cruise on the coast of Washington in late October/November with a new boat would not be my idea of a good time  <g>.
good luck with your new boat
Claire

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 5:00 AM Mike Leibbrandt via Groups.Io <myyankees08=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
Okay folks we purchased a 29 ft sailboat who is available to instruct a sailing voyage to move her from Hayden island to illwaco. Please and Thank you

_._._,_
_._,_._,_

Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@...>

Hi Claire,

At 08:56 AM 10/19/2019 -0700, you wrote:

a shakedown cruise on the coast of Washington in late October/November
with a new boat would not be my idea of a good timeÂ
I'm gonna bet the Hayden Island he refers to is the one in Portland, so
it's really just a float down the Columbia River and not offshore. Unless,
of course, he picks the wrong crew to help him and they overshoot Illwaco.
:-)

Mike, you might post a note at a gate at one of the marinas on Hayden
Island, or drop by RiversWest Small Craft Center at Pier 99 on one of their
open shop Saturdays, and see if anyone is interested in a boat ride. Maybe
get a free helper or maybe not too expensive.

Mark

Stephen Miller

I have a good friend who lives on a boat.  Experienced sailor and has his 100 ton Coast Guard license.  He is normally available to do boat deliveries.  He is a professional photographer by trade so his schedule is open.  If interested shoot me a private email and I can put you in touch with him.

Steve Miller

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 9:13 AM Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@...> wrote:
Hi Claire,

At 08:56 AM 10/19/2019 -0700, you wrote:

> a shakedown cruise on the coast of Washington in late October/November
> with a new boat would not be my idea of a good timeÂ

I'm gonna bet the Hayden Island he refers to is the one in Portland, so
it's really just a float down the Columbia River and not offshore.  Unless,
of course, he picks the wrong crew to help him and they overshoot Illwaco.
:-)

Mike, you might post a note at a gate at one of the marinas on Hayden
Island, or drop by RiversWest Small Craft Center at Pier 99 on one of their
open shop Saturdays, and see if anyone is interested in a boat ride.  Maybe
get a free helper or maybe not too expensive.

Mark

Claire Acord

Thanks Mark,
I don't know why I thought the OP said Harstine Island...guess I will make a new pot of coffee here...
Sounds much more do-able in any case.
cheers
Claire

Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org
Claire Acord

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 9:13 AM Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@...> wrote:
Hi Claire,

At 08:56 AM 10/19/2019 -0700, you wrote:

> a shakedown cruise on the coast of Washington in late October/November
> with a new boat would not be my idea of a good timeÂ

I'm gonna bet the Hayden Island he refers to is the one in Portland, so
it's really just a float down the Columbia River and not offshore.  Unless,
of course, he picks the wrong crew to help him and they overshoot Illwaco.
:-)

Mike, you might post a note at a gate at one of the marinas on Hayden
Island, or drop by RiversWest Small Craft Center at Pier 99 on one of their
open shop Saturdays, and see if anyone is interested in a boat ride.  Maybe
get a free helper or maybe not too expensive.

Mark

Richard Green

Isn’t there a Harstine sounding island down in the toe’ish of Puget Sound?

Rich

On Oct 19, 2019, at 9:25 AM, Claire Acord <whidbeyboatpainter@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark,
I don't know why I thought the OP said Harstine Island...guess I will make a new pot of coffee here...
Sounds much more do-able in any case.
cheers
Claire

Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org
Claire Acord

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 9:13 AM Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@...> wrote:
Hi Claire,

At 08:56 AM 10/19/2019 -0700, you wrote:

> a shakedown cruise on the coast of Washington in late October/November
> with a new boat would not be my idea of a good timeÂ

I'm gonna bet the Hayden Island he refers to is the one in Portland, so
it's really just a float down the Columbia River and not offshore.  Unless,
of course, he picks the wrong crew to help him and they overshoot Illwaco.
:-)

Mike, you might post a note at a gate at one of the marinas on Hayden
Island, or drop by RiversWest Small Craft Center at Pier 99 on one of their
open shop Saturdays, and see if anyone is interested in a boat ride.  Maybe
get a free helper or maybe not too expensive.

Mark

Richard Green

Or have I entered into the ignorance of the uninformed on the entire question?  I’ve been found not paying attention before, you know…..

Rich

On Oct 19, 2019, at 9:48 AM, Richard Green <chaos5@...> wrote:

Isn’t there a Harstine sounding island down in the toe’ish of Puget Sound?

Rich

On Oct 19, 2019, at 9:25 AM, Claire Acord <whidbeyboatpainter@...> wrote:

Thanks Mark,
I don't know why I thought the OP said Harstine Island...guess I will make a new pot of coffee here...
Sounds much more do-able in any case.
cheers
Claire

Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org
Claire Acord

On Sat, Oct 19, 2019 at 9:13 AM Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@...> wrote:
Hi Claire,

At 08:56 AM 10/19/2019 -0700, you wrote:

> a shakedown cruise on the coast of Washington in late October/November
> with a new boat would not be my idea of a good timeÂ

I'm gonna bet the Hayden Island he refers to is the one in Portland, so
it's really just a float down the Columbia River and not offshore.  Unless,
of course, he picks the wrong crew to help him and they overshoot Illwaco.
:-)

Mike, you might post a note at a gate at one of the marinas on Hayden
Island, or drop by RiversWest Small Craft Center at Pier 99 on one of their
open shop Saturdays, and see if anyone is interested in a boat ride.  Maybe
get a free helper or maybe not too expensive.

Mark

Claire Acord

Yes Rich, that is the one I guess I was thinking of, if one could call it thinking   <g>
cheers
Claire