Topics

Coots' Annual Yaquina River Halloween Float, October 26th

The Coots' Halloween float from Elk City to Toledo will be Saturday, October 26th, this year. The high tide at Elk City will be at about 1:15, and we'll have a good ebb tide helping us down the river to the Cannon Quarry ramp, about 6 1/4 miles. After we get the boats pulled out we'll have dinner at the pizza joint by the docks in Toledo:

http://www.coots.org/mb/Halloween/

Hope you can make it!

--
John (@Jkohnen)
Then summer fades and passes and October comes. We'll smell smoke then, and feel an unexpected sharpness, a thrill of nervousness, swift elation, a sense of sadness and departure. (Thomas Wolfe)

Bob Larkin

Thanks for the reminder, John.  I plan to be there---it is always a great fall trip!

 As of now, I plan to bring the Acorn 8.  That boat travels in the back of the van, which in turn limits the use of the van for shuttle duty.  If others have a shuttle-friendly vehicle, bring it along.

Bob

The Weatherman is promising beautiful weather for the float next Saturday! :o) Knock on wood...

http://www.coots.org/mb/Halloween/

A discussion during Thursday lunch about what was probably the wettest Halloween float, when Darrell and I took our motorboats and stayed at the then-new transient docks in Toledo, and it rained so hard that night and blew so hard that it blew the rain right through Lazy Jack's side curtains and soaked the jeans I'd hung up to dry, made me think about taking Lazy Jack this time. In more clement weather.

Either launching early(!) Saturday and staying over that night, or going over Friday and staying two nights. The price is right -- Toledo now charges $0 a night at the Transient docks, with a suggested donation. I'll try to explain why sometime...

We'll see...

On 10/19/2019 7:33 PM, Bob L wrote:
Thanks for the reminder, John.  I plan to be there---it is always a great fall trip!
 As of now, I plan to bring the Acorn 8.  That boat travels in the back of the van, which in turn limits the use of the van for shuttle duty. If others have a shuttle-friendly vehicle, bring it along.
--
John (@Jkohnen)
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. (Patrick F. McManus)

John Purdy

My first post to this group, though I've been following this group for years.  I sail a West Wight Potter 15 and have been given a whitewater kayak that I've outfitted for flat water by constructing a small wooden keel to help it track straight as I paddle.  Without the keel the rocker and short waterline of the boat makes it happy to go sideways as it moves straight ahead.  From pictures I've seen on the coots.org  website I think this would be the perfect vessel for the Halloween float on Saturday, plus I'd like to see the area, and attend a coots gathering.  I'd like go come join but don't know how the shuttle back works and would need to be shuttled back to my car (tan escort) at the put in spot.  How does the shuttle work and can I be shuttled?

Here's a link to a picture of the kayak (without the keel addition.)

Thanks,
John Purdy
Tigard, OR

Some vehicles will be parked at the Cannon Quarry ramp to take people back to Elk City to get their rigs. Though it can seem chaotic, we always manage to get everybody hauled out and ready for pizza. <g>

That stubby little kayak will be just fine on that stretch of the Yaquina, John. As you've no doubt discovered, it's no speed demon, but nobody will be in a hurry, and the tide will be pushing us along. I hope you join us.

Right now my plan is to take Lazy Jack, launching Saturday at Cannon Quarry and motoring up to Elk City to meet the other voyagers. Earl is gonna ride with me, so his Big Ford Flex will already be at Cannon Quarry when the fleet arrives. I may, or may not, stay the night in Toledo, which'd involve some more shuttling... But it could wait until after pizza. <g>

Here's <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W1qNW7UGJL8eVothyoQUBHEb-kPY7NAs/view?usp=sharing> a link to a picture of the kayak (without the keel addition.)
--
John (@Jkohnen)
If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by our institutions, great is our sin. (Charles Darwin)

jim reim

I can get to the Elk City ramp early, get my boat in the water, and take my Highlander to the Cannon Quarry ramp to transport folks back after the float.  I would need a ride back to Elk City.  Could be in Lazy Jack if you'll have me.  When do you expect to come through?   I could also hitchhike with another Coot going by Cannon Quarry.

Jim R

On Thursday, October 24, 2019, 11:13:36 PM PDT, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

Some vehicles will be parked at the Cannon Quarry ramp to take people
back to Elk City to get their rigs. Though it can seem chaotic, we
always manage to get everybody hauled out and ready for pizza. <g>

That stubby little kayak will be just fine on that stretch of the
Yaquina, John. As you've no doubt discovered, it's no speed demon, but
nobody will be in a hurry, and the tide will be pushing us along. I hope
you join us.

Right now my plan is to take Lazy Jack, launching Saturday at Cannon
Quarry and motoring up to Elk City to meet the other voyagers. Earl is
gonna ride with me, so his Big Ford Flex will already be at Cannon
Quarry when the fleet arrives. I may, or may not, stay the night in
Toledo, which'd involve some more shuttling... But it could wait until
after pizza. <g>

On 10/24/2019 10:51 PM, John P wrote:
> My first post to this group, though I've been following this group for
> years.  I sail a West Wight Potter 15 and have been given a whitewater
> kayak that I've outfitted for flat water by constructing a small wooden
> keel to help it track straight as I paddle.  Without the keel the rocker
> and short waterline of the boat makes it happy to go sideways as it
> moves straight ahead.  From pictures I've seen on the coots.org  website
> I think this would be the perfect vessel for the Halloween float on
> Saturday, plus I'd like to see the area, and attend a coots gathering.
> I'd like go come join but don't know how the shuttle back works and
> would need to be shuttled back to my car (tan escort) at the put in
> spot.  How does the shuttle work and can I be shuttled?
>
> Here's
> <https://drive.google.com/file/d/1W1qNW7UGJL8eVothyoQUBHEb-kPY7NAs/view?usp=sharing> a
> link to a picture of the kayak (without the keel addition.)

--
John (jkohnen@...)
If the misery of the poor be caused not by the laws of nature, but by
our institutions, great is our sin. (Charles Darwin)

My plan is to launch at the Cannon Quarry ramp about 11-ish and start heading up the river about 11:30. I'd be happy to give you a ride, Jim. Company is always nice, and Earl's plans will only allow him to ride with me down from Elk City.

On 10/25/2019 6:37 PM, Waldport Jim wrote:
I can get to the Elk City ramp early, get my boat in the water, and take my Highlander to the Cannon Quarry ramp to transport folks back after the float.  I would need a ride back to Elk City.  Could be in Lazy Jack if you'll have me.  When do you expect to come through?   I could also hitchhike with another Coot going by Cannon Quarry.
--
John (@Jkohnen)
The lack of a sense of history is the damnation of the modern world. (Robert Penn Warren)

jim reim

Okay.  I'll plan on getting to the Cannon Quarry ramp (sans boat) by 11:30.

Jim

On Friday, October 25, 2019, 07:17:46 PM PDT, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

My plan is to launch at the Cannon Quarry ramp about 11-ish and start
heading up the river about 11:30. I'd be happy to give you a ride, Jim.
Company is always nice, and Earl's plans will only allow him to ride
with me down from Elk City.

On 10/25/2019 6:37 PM, Waldport Jim wrote:
> I can get to the Elk City ramp early, get my boat in the water, and take
> my Highlander to the Cannon Quarry ramp to transport folks back after
> the float.  I would need a ride back to Elk City.  Could be in Lazy Jack
> if you'll have me.  When do you expect to come through?   I could also
> hitchhike with another Coot going by Cannon Quarry.

--
John (jkohnen@...)
The lack of a sense of history is the damnation of the modern world.
(Robert Penn Warren)

jim reim

Okay.  I'll plan on getting to the Cannon Quarry ramp (sans boat) by 11:30.

Jim

On Friday, October 25, 2019, 07:17:46 PM PDT, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

My plan is to launch at the Cannon Quarry ramp about 11-ish and start
heading up the river about 11:30. I'd be happy to give you a ride, Jim.
Company is always nice, and Earl's plans will only allow him to ride
with me down from Elk City.

On 10/25/2019 6:37 PM, Waldport Jim wrote:
> I can get to the Elk City ramp early, get my boat in the water, and take
> my Highlander to the Cannon Quarry ramp to transport folks back after
> the float.  I would need a ride back to Elk City.  Could be in Lazy Jack
> if you'll have me.  When do you expect to come through?   I could also
> hitchhike with another Coot going by Cannon Quarry.

--
John (jkohnen@...)
The lack of a sense of history is the damnation of the modern world.
(Robert Penn Warren)

John Purdy

Thanks All for welcoming me into your group.  I enjoyed meeting all of you and seeing your lovely vessels.  Also enjoyed the float down the river very much, and what nice weather we experienced.

My keel idea on the white water kayak didn't really work very well as I think it was not aggressive enough.  i.e. not enough below the waterline.  If anybody has pictures of me floating in the water that illustrates what the water line is while I'm in the kayak, I'd sure like to see it for my re-work keel 2.0.

Thinking of an idea of having the bottom of the keel board flat with practically no rocker and extending it 2 to 3 inches below the middle of the kayaks rocker in the center of the kayak.  This will ensure plenty of keel in the water to try to straighten out the water flow under the boat thereby keeping it bow facing forward.  Also thinking of extending out above and below the waterline about a foot past the bow and past the stern making the 8' kayak 10' over all.

Here's links to pictures of Keel 1.0 that didn't really work as there was not enough below the waterline,  and what I'm thinking about for Keel 2.0.   Boat is upside down on the roof rack, bow is to the left, picture is rotated to approximate what I think may be the water line being level with the horizon.

Keel 1.0 are scrap pieces of 3/4" pine shelving cut to fit the curve of the hull.  Front and back pieces attached to a 7.5' long strip of 3/8" x 1" black delrin stretched along the bottom of the boat.  The front and back pine pieces are tied to the boat with lines that secure to the bow and stern handles.    The idea being that it can be easily removed and still have a viable white water kayak.

Keel 2.0 encapsulates boat and stern of boat which should make tying easier and maybe more secure/stable, also may not need the delrin strip

Any thoughts or ideas?

John Purdy
Tigard Or

jim reim

Below are a couple pictures.
Jim R

On Monday, October 28, 2019, 01:45:37 PM PDT, jtpurdy via Groups.Io <jtpurdy@...> wrote:

[...]

Thanks Jim,

Your pictures help me a bunch in understanding what I need to do to make the keel work better.

John Purdy
Tigard OR

David Luckhardt

At some point you may need to step away from the conversion project and look for something more suitable, as it strikes me that you're getting deep into SOW'S EAR --> SILK PURSE territory.  Been there and have the T-shirt collection!   ;-)

Getting in and out of the yak with Keel #2 might be next to impossible unless at the dock, and I can see how launching in shallow water could also be a challenge.   Do you have experience with other kayaks?  Some of the tracking issues might be paddling style more than hull design, just sayin'...   Have you tried a longer double paddle, or one that can be offset 90 degrees?

If you must modify the boat I'd be tempted to go for the tried and true option of a leeboard.  Easy to rig and remove, and can be pulled up to allow entry & exit in shallows.  Lots of ways to attach leeboards, check out the Interwebs images for sailing rigs for yaks and canoes.

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/16/c3/78/16c37817a57f55f06c6bbbd62f55c559.jpg

Case Turner

I have to agree with Thorne on this. White water Kayaks aren't very good at flat water paddling, even with modifications. Tracking and speed aren't what they are made for. You definitely are going to work harder to achieve speed and direction. Two important things when paddling long distances.

Along the lines of paddles, my favorite to use when kayaking, and even sometimes in my solo-canoe is my cedar greenland style paddle. It's extremely efficient and light weight.

I'd be tempted to find our build a kayak that is specifically for touring or adventuring, (if that's what you want to do). A good cheap easy to build option would be Dave Gentry's 12' Chuckanut.

I have built the 12' & the 15'. Both paddle fine, but the 12' is easier to manuever, especially in tight spaces. Both are light weight and can be easily car topped.

Case

On Wed, Oct 30, 2019 at 9:08 AM David Luckhardt <david.luckhardt@...> wrote:

[...]

Dirt

John Purdy

David, I agree with the notion of stepping away before one gets too deep into a project that will ultimately be a poor compromise.  Thanks for your comment. Right now I'm just having fun experimenting to see what minor improvements can be made without a big investment in a toy that was obtained for $00.00.  You bring up a good point that getting in and out at a beach would be difficult with the keel 2.0 plan.  Hadn't thought of that.  No don't have much experience with kayaks, Most of my time on the water for the past 40 years has been in production sailcraft, ie Hobie cat, Windsurfer, Santana 20, J24, Laser, West Wight Potter,  I may try a keel 1.5 design where the keel is extended/deepened on just the back half of the kayak.  Making more of a rear skeg than a full keel.

Never thought of the option of a leeboard, though am familiar with the concept.  Seems like a leeboard would be best used with a rudder and a sail.  Not ready to go down that path. I also have a 16' Klickatat canoe that also was obtained for not much money but could use some restoration. I'd consider making that into a sailing canoe.

John Purdy

John Purdy

Case, Thanks for your reply.  I'm very interested in making a Greenland paddle.  I have some printed instructions I found on the web from Chuck Holst.  Looks like a simple but rewarding project. It's definitely on my to-do list. Looked at your suggestion of a Chuckanut.  I think it would be a much better all around craft than the little white water kayak I'm playing with now.  But I have the kayak right now so I'm playing with it. I'm very much into the aspect of small, easy to transport, easy to store.  Call me a procrastinator, I have a Pygmy Coho kayak kit I purchased 10+ years ago that is still in its shipping box.  Thought it would be fun to have for summer fun but get entirely engrossed in sailing activities and other life experiences during summer so haven't got around to actually putting it together, also hindered by not having a heated place to work on it during the off season.   Dinking around with this white water kayak is making me think more about getting motivated to get the Pygmy kit out and work on it.

John Purdy