Topics

Idle thoughts

Claire Acord

Hi John,
Was enjoying looking at your shapely new boat...and wondered if you planned on changing her name...and Nutmeg came to mind...”such a sweet little ship”

Cheers
Claire

--
Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org

I thought about renaming Tuffy with something Danish, but that was when I thought she was still named Essie Mae. I forgot that George had renamed her to Tuffy, a good name that's growing on me. I don't know if George went through all the proper rigamarole when he renamed her, so I suppose I should get Andrew to go through the motions sometime...

Besides, what happens if I need to call the Coast Guard? "Mayday! Mayday! This is the sailing vessel Blishøne (sorta "Bleesyoona", one of my choices, means "Coot") and I'm sinking fast!" "How do you spell that?" <g>

Nutmeg would be Muskatnød (Sorta "Mooskaytnyood")

On 10/7/2019 8:50 PM, Claire wrote:
Hi John,
Was enjoying looking at your shapely new boat...and wondered if you planned on changing her name...and Nutmeg came to mind...”such a sweet little ship”
--
John (@Jkohnen)
Logarithmic plots are a device of the devil. (Charles Francis Richter, co-inventor of a logarithmic scale for measuring earthquakes)

Bob Miller

Just translate it to the MMSI dialect on DSC 😀

--
John (jkohnen@...)
Logarithmic plots are a device of the devil. (Charles Francis Richter,
co-inventor of a logarithmic scale for measuring earthquakes)

Richard Green

I like Tuffy….if you’re taking votes.

Rich

On Oct 8, 2019, at 2:46 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

[...]

Andrew Linn

I was floating around the San Juans my first Sucia Messabout, idily listening to the radio. Yeah, you want to name your boat something easily understood over the radio. And puns aren't punny when things get interesting :)

--
John (@Jkohnen <mailto:@Jkohnen>)
Logarithmic plots are a device of the devil. (Charles Francis
Richter,
co-inventor of a logarithmic scale for measuring earthquakes)

elaineginader

Hey John what's "Tuffy" in Danish?

On Tue, Oct 8, 2019, 6:19 PM Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:
I was floating around the San Juans my first Sucia Messabout, idily
listening to the radio. Yeah, you want to name your boat something
easily understood over the radio. And puns aren't punny when things get
interesting :)

On 10/8/2019 3:34 PM, Bob Miller wrote:
> Just translate it to the MMSI dialect on DSC 😀
>
> On Tue, Oct 8, 2019 at 2:47 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...
> <mailto:jkohnen@...>> wrote:
>
>     I thought about renaming Tuffy with something Danish, but that was
>     when
>     I thought she was still named Essie Mae. I forgot that George had
>     renamed her to Tuffy, a good name that's growing on me. I don't
>     know if
>     George went through all the proper rigamarole when he renamed her,
>     so I
>     suppose I should get Andrew to go through the motions sometime...
>
>     Besides, what happens if I need to call the Coast Guard? "Mayday!
>     Mayday! This is the sailing vessel Blishøne (sorta "Bleesyoona",
>     one of
>     my choices, means "Coot") and I'm sinking fast!" "How do you spell
>     that?" <g>
>
>     Nutmeg would be Muskatnød (Sorta "Mooskaytnyood")
>
>     On 10/7/2019 8:50 PM, Claire wrote:
>     > Hi John,
>     > Was enjoying looking at your shapely new boat...and wondered if you
>     > planned on changing her name...and Nutmeg came to mind...”such a
>     sweet
>     > little ship”
>
>     --
>     John (jkohnen@... <mailto:jkohnen@...>)
>     Logarithmic plots are a device of the devil. (Charles Francis
>     Richter,
>     co-inventor of a logarithmic scale for measuring earthquakes)

Punny boat names get old real fast. Most of them aren't any good to start with. <g>

On 10/8/2019 6:19 PM, Andrew Linn wrote:
I was floating around the San Juans my first Sucia Messabout, idily listening to the radio. Yeah, you want to name your boat something easily understood over the radio. And puns aren't punny when things get interesting :)
--
John (@Jkohnen)
It is better to have loafed and lost than never to have loafed at all. (James Thurber)

I think I'd need a Dane to translate "Tuffy" to Danish. <g> It's not a word that's easily handled by Google Translate. Here's what Google comes up with for "tough":

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=da&text=tough

On 10/8/2019 6:35 PM, elaine wrote:
Hey John what's "Tuffy" in Danish?
--
John (@Jkohnen)
The man who would be fully employed should procure a ship or a woman, for no two things produce more trouble. (Plautus)

elaineginader

On a different subject is the Halloween float still happening this month?

On Wed, Oct 9, 2019, 12:10 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:

I think I'd need a Dane to translate "Tuffy" to Danish. <g> It's not a
word that's easily handled by Google Translate. Here's what Google comes
up with for "tough":

https://translate.google.com/#view=home&op=translate&sl=en&tl=da&text=tough

On 10/8/2019 6:35 PM, elaine wrote:
> Hey John what's "Tuffy" in Danish?

--
John (jkohnen@...)
The man who would be fully employed should procure a ship or a woman,
for no two things produce more trouble. (Plautus)

As my repeat (oops!) messages to the group should indicate, there will be a Halloween float. Don't be late! <g> If you are gonna be late, call me on my cell phone: 541-913-0299 Don't anybody try calling when I'm not at a messabout, or traveling. The cell phone spends most of its time turned off; it may be weeks before I get a voicemail or text. <g>

On 10/12/2019 11:11 PM, elaine wrote:
On a different subject is the Halloween float still happening this month?
--
John (@Jkohnen)
There is no free lunch.