Topics

Need more help - completely different subject

Andrew Linn

Starting in March, we are moving to a 4-day work week. My big plan is to use the weekends to achieve my goal of motorbiking to every county in Oregon. Courthouses are cool and they will be the reason for the trip, BUT,  I've decided to make this a "Travelogue of Oregon" kind of thing. Here's what I need from y'all:

What's the neatest thing to see in your county? For instance, here in Marion County, I'd take someone to Willamette Mission State Park, Silver Falls, and/or Willamette University. For Yamhill, something like the Evergreen Air and Space museum.

Since my little 250 doesn't like freeway speeds, I'm doing highways and back roads. Interesting sights and routes - including dirt or logging roads - are welcome. Crack-in-the-Ground, Hole-in-the-Ground, Vista House, Astoria Column, etc. For Jefferson County, I'll probably visit the Cove State Park. Things like that. Good photo opportunities and maybe some history.

Case Turner

For Deschutes County, I’d recommend Newberry Crater (Paulina lake, big flow, East Lake) as a stop. You could ride out the back side to fort rock, but wouldn’t advise it with a street bike. The powder (dirt) gets deep in some places and is hard to navigate a dirt bike in.

Many like to ride the Casacde Lakes Highway. Lots of places to stop along there.

Crack in the ground can be done on a street bike if you come in from Christmas Valley. Green mountain Lookout is cool and is just north on same road. There is a campground at the lookout. If you go during the summer you can visit with the ranger and get a tour of the tower. I don’t advise riding further north as the road isn’t good for street bikes. Watched a guy out his Harley down last year trying to come up it.

Case

Sent from not here

--
Dirt

A four day workweek seems like an invitation to do more boating. <g>

When I was riding a lot we used a "world tour of Oregon" as an excuse to explore the back roads of our state. I'd pore over maps (paper maps --
no Google earth back then) for places in Oregon with names the same as places all over the world. We did Paris and London in one day once. <g> They're both in Lane County.

A ride to Oceanside and Dallas led to a group British & European motorcycle ride that lasted for quite a while. When we hit little Oceanside it was like Hollister, Calif. in 1947. ;o)

The back roads are more fun on a motorcycle no matter how big it is. Freeways are bad enough in a car, but they suck _all_ the fun out of motorcycling. :ob

On 12/24/2018 7:08 AM, Andrew wrote:
[...]
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
If the English language made any sense, a catastrophe would be an apostrophe with fur. (Doug Larson, Olympic Gold Medalist)

Andrew Linn

Excellent suggestions. Thankee.

On 12/24/2018 7:24 AM, Case Turner wrote:
[...]

Vince K.

I used to live in Hood River county where there's lot of good places.
Lost Lake is probably the most spectacular though.
It could be a nice ride up there too but it's a lot of climbing for a 250.
(Do you have disc brakes or drum brakes?.... just asking)
Have you considered a 400-650 dual sport for this trip?

Washington country (where I live) you might want to skip. :-)
Hagg lake is about it.  Make sure you go when there's water in it.
Downtown Hillsboro is OK and there's the farmers market on summer weekends.
Maybe the air show would be something to consider.
Other than that, there's the Ron Tonkin baseball "stadium", Nike headquarters, and several Intel plants.
Not exactly a tourist destination.

VK

Andrew Linn

"Have you considered a 400-650 dual sport for this trip?"
The whole point of doing the trips at all is to do it on a bike that appears, on the surface, unsuited to the task. Plus, I have a 250 :)

Lost Lake is a great idea - that really is beautiful up there. Washington County will take some cogitating. You are right, probably something more cultural rather than scenic.

On 12/25/2018 6:44 AM, Vince K. wrote:
I used to live in Hood River county where there's lot of good places.
Lost Lake is probably the most spectacular though.
It could be a nice ride up there too but it's a lot of climbing for a 250.
(Do you have disc brakes or drum brakes?.... just asking)
Have you considered a 400-650 dual sport for this trip?

Washington country (where I live) you might want to skip. :-)
Hagg lake is about it.  Make sure you go when there's water in it.
Downtown Hillsboro is OK and there's the farmers market on summer weekends.
Maybe the air show would be something to consider.
Other than that, there's the Ron Tonkin baseball "stadium", Nike headquarters, and several Intel plants.
Not exactly a tourist destination.

VK

al_thomason

Washington County. That Rock Museum off of sunset highway? Never been there, but seems unusual.

https://ricenorthwestmuseum.org/

Klamath county: Old OTI campus: https://www.google.com/maps/place/Oretech,+OR+97601/@42.2622357,-121.752336,15z/data=!3m1!4b1!4m12!1m6!3m5!1s0x0:0xfb01afa77c2a8fe9!2sOld+OTI+Campus!8m2!3d42.2654236!4d-121.7466319!3m4!1s0x54c8d4019d294f53:0x2ce419e655a3f3d7!8m2!3d42.2622203!4d-121.7435601

Looks like it has been torn down and has houses now, but remember lots of fun trips up the road - nice a just right windy. Was the original location of OIT (then known as OTI) - built after WWII for returning GI's with Malaria, as the high dry elevation was good for them. Taught trade skills, turned into OIT and moved into town in the 60's IIRC.

Lake county: City of Paisley - Mosquito Fest - end of July. Small town, holds the yearly fest to pay for massive bug zappers hung from the light poles. (Seriously, the size of a VW Bug). Make sure to see the parade. Time we were there, the parade lasted about 5 minutes, but that was because folks rounded the block a few times. Fun. Was many years ago I was there, might have changed, but if not - a part of America that does not exist much anymore.

-al-

Viking Star
45' Monk Sr. / McQueen
mvVikingStar.blogspot.com

[...]

You're probably thinner and lighter than me. :-)

Vince

Jove Lachman-Curl

This whole thing makes me think of my dream of a steam bike.

My dad went all over the UK, on a 125, so it can be done, he was a skinny-rag-weed kid of 20 though. If you consider it half way between a bicycle and a motorcycle it will seem very high power :)
He always seems to think the clothing was the key with that we UK weather. But Oregon summers are much more predictable. What time of year are you setting out?

Sounds like a splendid premise for a trip. Have you read ‘Blue highways’? About one mans journey through Americas small towns and back roads in an old van. Nice book you could enjoy before the rain stops.
Best...
-Jove

On Dec 25, 2018, at 9:32 AM, Vince K. <vnkurpan@...> wrote:

You're probably thinner and lighter than me. :-)

Vince

Electri-Cal

Not so much different from the touring the US on most scooters.  On the Majesty web site, the Yamahas  from 250 through my 400 size regularly tour huge distances.  Many take them over 20K a year, average take an annual vacation from Chicago to Miami, or the other way,  or Seattle to Tucson and back -- check out those tours on line.  Many group members are at or over what we do in a year, as an annual single trip.  Several report zero repairs except  drive belt change for many thousands of miles, and get 60 mpg doing it.  Don't really need more than that, my 30+ HP, and the weather protection is a big plus on scooters, and safer to ride overall.  Planning and preparing is the key to success, and doing extra bike
services before is a big help .  Best of luck Andrew !!!

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 7:58 AM Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:
"Have you considered a 400-650 dual sport for this trip?"
The whole point of doing the trips at all is to do it on a bike that
appears, on the surface, unsuited to the task. Plus, I have a 250 :)

Lost Lake is a great idea - that really is beautiful up there.
Washington County will take some cogitating. You are right, probably
something more cultural rather than scenic.

On 12/25/2018 6:44 AM, Vince K. wrote:
> I used to live in Hood River county where there's lot of good places.
> Lost Lake is probably the most spectacular though.
> It could be a nice ride up there too but it's a lot of climbing for a
> 250.
> (Do you have disc brakes or drum brakes?.... just asking)
> Have you considered a 400-650 dual sport for this trip?
>
> Washington country (where I live) you might want to skip. :-)
> Hagg lake is about it.  Make sure you go when there's water in it.
> Downtown Hillsboro is OK and there's the farmers market on summer
> weekends.
> Maybe the air show would be something to consider.
> Other than that, there's the Ron Tonkin baseball "stadium", Nike
> headquarters, and several Intel plants.
> Not exactly a tourist destination.
>
> VK

If you find yourself in Washington County on a motorcycle a good way to escape is over Cornelius Pass to Hwy. 30 and Multnomah County. Cornelius Pass Road is a good, windy motorcycle road through some nice country. But Jim C says it's no fun in an old semi without power steering. <g> Once over Cornelius Pass you can head north and west through the counties along the Columbia River. When going to points down the Columbia I often head over through Washington County and over Cornelius Pass to avoid the worst of the Megalopolis.

On 12/25/2018 6:44 AM, Vince K. wrote:
Washington country (where I live) you might want to skip. :-)
Hagg lake is about it.  Make sure you go when there's water in it.
Downtown Hillsboro is OK and there's the farmers market on summer weekends.
Maybe the air show would be something to consider.
Other than that, there's the Ron Tonkin baseball "stadium", Nike headquarters, and several Intel plants.
Not exactly a tourist destination.
--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
The whole problem with the world is that fools and fanatics are always so certain of themselves, and wiser people so full of doubts. (Bertrand Russell)

"Trips". Good. A single marathon trip to all the counties in Oregon would be a stunt, not an enjoyable adventure. Andrew could get years of fun out of the idea if he savors the attractions of every county over lots of shorter rides.

If Rocinante is comfortable enough for sitting hours in her saddle (I worry about the low seat) there's no reason she'd be unsuitable for the task at hand. She'll have ample power to get up the hills, though slower than a larger capacity bike would do it. She's probably awfully buzzy when she tries to go fast, but that's an incentive to stay on the back roads. <g> Mary bought a 250 Suzuki years ago when she was learning to ride so she could follow my Norton around (she gave up on the idea). I rode it around a bit and was impressed with how well it went along -- as long as you stayed off the freeway. I didn't like it well enough to trade in my Norton though. <g>

I like that Andy's using a modest machine that he already owns. I hate the attitude that every adventure requires buying a bunch of expensive equipment and gear. <sigh>

http://andrewlinn.com/2017/171008_gas/

Have fun, Andy! Take lots of pictures! We expect to read lots of articles about the adventures on Sleeping Schnauzer. Touring the backroads of Oregon on a 250cc motorcycle will be a piece of cake compared to doing the Texas 200 in a Puddle Duck. <g>

Merry Xmas everybody! :o)

On 12/25/2018 7:58 AM, Andrew wrote:
"Have you considered a 400-650 dual sport for this trip?"
The whole point of doing the trips at all is to do it on a bike that appears, on the surface, unsuited to the task. Plus, I have a 250 :)
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
Of all tools used in the shadow of the moon, men are most apt to get out of order. (Herman Melville)

Vince K.

It's not that a 250 won't go the distance but when I had my 200 I found myself on some hills being tailgated 6' off my back wheel.
Not a comfortable (or safe) situation at all.  (Back roads tend to have steeper hills.)
The 350 (after getting an illegal tune-up) eliminated that situation and I didn't have to shift nearly so much.
I felt much safer.

On flat ground it wasn't a problem.  Plenty of power there.

Vince

Case Turner

Of note I have found that my current ride, CRF-250L has plenty of power on the highway. I can zip right up hills no problem, even loaded to the hilt with camp gear. What I have found is that I can't ride on this bike at highway speeds for long period s of time. The bike dry is only 317 pounds and when bucking wind or catching cross wind from truck etc it really wears on ya. My Harley was 489 pounds dry and I could ride that for hours at 65-70. On the CRF at 55-60 I'm good for only about 100 miles before I need to stop for a while. Then I'm only good for 200 miles a day anymore. If I drop the bike down to 45-50 I can go 150 miles before stopping and total of 250.

Case

On Tue, Dec 25, 2018 at 8:08 PM Vince K. <vnkurpan@...> wrote:
It's not that a 250 won't go the distance but when I had my 200 I found myself on some hills being tailgated 6' off my back wheel.
Not a comfortable (or safe) situation at all.  (Back roads tend to have steeper hills.)
The 350 (after getting an illegal tune-up) eliminated that situation and I didn't have to shift nearly so much.
I felt much safer.

On flat ground it wasn't a problem.  Plenty of power there.

Vince

--
Dirt

Electri-Cal

Hi, Case-- and Coots --- A big part of the equation as riding comfort is the bike weight and style, come on by and try mine out.  HD has that big Vee twin motor down low as possible, as do a lot of cruisers, and in fact my Majesty  (motor and gas at bottom of frame) as well.  The Triumph  955i frame weight was much higher, and gas tank on top (many now are lower in the frame ), which made tight cornering easier.  It liked to really lay down and speed up through corners, more like track handling, easy steering at extreme  lean angles.  Not like real crotch rockets, but closer to that type of ride.

BMW boxers, Italian Guzzi,  most scooters, have metal weights lower as well, so it seems that lower weight placement is best for road, higher is more "twisties" oriented, as a general thought.  I was pleased to find the Majesty at 130 lb. HEAVIER than the Triumph -- was way easier to push around.   Easier to control the Majesty at lower speeds in town, lower speed cornering better too.  Never noticed that before, since I had mostly ridden British bikes with higher motor placement.   A good case for a low motor placement for street, higher weight for agility on back (or non) roads..  Would sure appreciate a bit of warm to ride in, after the longish lay off lately, we have a super rural eatery I just found, and on a good Winery lined road, a fun riding experience.

Road comfort takes a bit of doing for my size.  I changed some seat  height stuff first.  The best (essential !!) change was  far better Hagon brand (for all bikes! ) rear shocks, custom fitted to my largish weight and riding style, an enormous difference in how road defects get to the rider, and way more comfort there.  Fresh  front fork oil helps too,  but scooters, even 400 cc ones now have better touring set ups, taller wind screens, floorboards etc.   Then I added a serious back rest, you "Become the bike" in corners, very cool.   Next time you are over this way, drop on by and bring your gear, you can try it, then we'll do lunch and get a few miles in this-A-way., ok ??   That goes for my other riding coot friends as well, a snack run to a GREAT local rural grill.

Have a great holiday season everybody,  Cal

On Wed, Dec 26, 2018 at 6:31 AM Case Turner <casesturner@...> wrote:
[...]

Phil Peck <phil@...>

It would appear that coots are adventure types regardless if it is boats or bikes. I too have had many types of bikes and well as boats. Rode a 350 Suzuki from Reedsport to San Diego only stopping for gas. Down the freeway in the late 70's. Then did it again with a 750 with a full screen wind jammer and all. As with boats or bikes, the best memories seems to be when the boat or bike was what (others) viewed as funky. My lastest ride was a KLR 650 duel sport, which suited my riding style the best. I prefer the upright sitting position,the desire to stop at least every 50 miles or less, the ability to go on any road or freeway and then on any logging road or trail. But to mostly just putt around at my leisure.
But I mostly admire Andrews drive,planning, and actual doing of trips, projects, and his ability to post about them. I look forward to hearing about his putting around on his 250 which will be just fine for his style of riding. The best advice someone gave me for taking turns was (look) and where you want to go not where you want to not be.

Phil, in California

[...]

---

Andrew Linn

"Trips" is the plan. The 250 jumps right up to 55mph, but she doesn't like going over 70 (and it takes a bit to get there.) When I took her to the coast, I was ripping along the farm roads - that's where I came up with the idea.

I had considered getting a cheap Chinese bike, the SRS Snake Eyes, to be precise. There's a guy selling them on Craigslist, still in the crate, for $2000. The idea was "What's stupider than doing this on a 250? Doing it on a cheap Chinese 250, of course." Plus, the styling of that bike looks old school.

https://www.topspeed.com/motorcycles/motorcycle-reviews/others/2016-2018-ssr-motorsports-snake-eyes-ar167123.html

In the end, my innate cheapness won out. Plus, Rocinante is a trooper. She needs to become legend. Plus the Snake Eyes has a 1.98 gallon tank. Even if it gets Rocinante's 60+mpg, that's not enough.

On 12/25/2018 2:00 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
[...]

That's definitely a much higher performance bike than my old 200cc (air cooled) was.
A motorcycle mechanic friend of mine said water cooled engines perform way better.
Plus, I think that is a fuel injected engine which makes an even bigger difference
So you probably the same (or even more) power than my old 350 air cooled had.

And disc brakes too.  My TW had drums and they definitely faded on long hills.... not a good feeling.

That Honda of yours looks like a really nice bike.

Vince

I won the "Rat Bike" award at one of the first "Berkeley North" gatherings at Max's tavern in Eugene! <g> My bike was (is, it's sitting idle out back) a '75 Norton Commando with a '70 750 engine in it and the shifter and back brake pedal switched back to the the side God and the Queen intended:

http://www.boat-links.com/images/bikes/ME-3.jpg

Alas, new owners turned Mmax's into a f***ing fern bar... <sigh>

The pre-electric start Commandos are everything I think a motorcycle should be. :o)

http://www.boat-links.com/images/bikes/norton1.jpg

On 12/26/2018 9:05 AM, Phil Peck wrote:
It would appear that coots are adventure types regardless if it is boats or bikes. ...
As with boats or bikes, the best memories seems to be when the boat or bike was what (others) viewed as funky.
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
Antisocial behavior is a trait of intelligence in a world full of conformists. (Nikola Tesla)

David Graybeal

I orginally hail  from Clatsop County. Astoria, Seaside, Cannon Beach.

Tons of choices there. Cross the Megler Bridge? Watch the ocean from the South Jetty? Cruise the 'turnaround' at Seaside? Shop for art in Cannon Beach? Wander the artillery bunkers at Ft. Stevens State Park? Museums: Maritime Historical; Firefighters. Seaside Aquarium? Ride 101 and admire the ocean? A short hike to Short Sands Beach? Camp & admire the view from Cole Mtn. Ridge? Climb Saddle Mountain? And that's just a start...