Doing More Messing About in Toledo


 

Toledo Joe gave us a very strong hint that the Coots should make more use of the Toledo Community Boathouses. Suffice it to say we can now use the Boathouses without supervision, though we should coordinate with Joe's old retired geezers so we don't get in the way of their activities.

The Boathouses now have heat and good lighting, so we can use them for indoor activities when the weather is cold. We'll be able to use the Boathouse boats. We can even do building projects in the well-equipped Andrew Linn Boatshop. :o)

We've done some fun stuff at the old Boathouse (now the Andrew Linn Boatshop) when Andrew was the sparkplug and less gainfully employed --
building coracles, learning splicing, getting motorboat permits, and other fun stuff. Anybody have any ideas for what we can do over there now?

BTW, Bud would probably supply free mooring for Coot boats during Boathouse activities, but even if he didn't the rate is only $5 a night now! :o)

And the pizza joint is open every day. <g>

--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
Witty people came out in autumn; beauties in July. (Andrew Holleran)


Andrew Linn
 

Y'all can just call it "the old boathouse" or the "original boathouse" :)

On 10/17/2018 3:25 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Toledo Joe gave us a very strong hint that the Coots should make more use of the Toledo Community Boathouses. Suffice it to say we can now use the Boathouses without supervision, though we should coordinate with Joe's old retired geezers so we don't get in the way of their activities.

The Boathouses now have heat and good lighting, so we can use them for indoor activities when the weather is cold. We'll be able to use the Boathouse boats. We can even do building projects in the well-equipped Andrew Linn Boatshop. :o)

We've done some fun stuff at the old Boathouse (now the Andrew Linn Boatshop) when Andrew was the sparkplug and less gainfully employed  -- building coracles, learning splicing, getting motorboat permits, and other fun stuff. Anybody have any ideas for what we can do over there now?

BTW, Bud would probably supply free mooring for Coot boats during Boathouse activities, but even if he didn't the rate is only $5 a night now! :o)

And the pizza joint is open every day. <g>


Case Turner
 

I would like a small boat that would fit in my cargo trailer camper. My Camp neighbor Bob Larkin really got me thinking when he pulled his boat out of his minivan...

The elegant punt fits that bill but I’m not sure it’s really what I’d like. Something similar.

Easy to build, so say if we did a build it could be at least 3d in two days.

If we could parking lot camp or those that want to in the water that would be great.

I’m looking at doing something first of year or early spring so I’m ready to go for summer.

Anyone want to do this as a Messabout?

Other thoughts on boat plans?

Dirt.

Sent from not here

On Oct 17, 2018, at 6:59 PM, Andrew Linn <alinn@andrewlinn.com> wrote:

Y'all can just call it "the old boathouse" or the "original boathouse" :)


On 10/17/2018 3:25 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
Toledo Joe gave us a very strong hint that the Coots should make more use of the Toledo Community Boathouses. Suffice it to say we can now use the Boathouses without supervision, though we should coordinate with Joe's old retired geezers so we don't get in the way of their activities.

The Boathouses now have heat and good lighting, so we can use them for indoor activities when the weather is cold. We'll be able to use the Boathouse boats. We can even do building projects in the well-equipped Andrew Linn Boatshop. :o)

We've done some fun stuff at the old Boathouse (now the Andrew Linn Boatshop) when Andrew was the sparkplug and less gainfully employed -- building coracles, learning splicing, getting motorboat permits, and other fun stuff. Anybody have any ideas for what we can do over there now?

BTW, Bud would probably supply free mooring for Coot boats during Boathouse activities, but even if he didn't the rate is only $5 a night now! :o)

And the pizza joint is open every day. <g>



Myles Twete
 

"The true boathouse" :-)



Sent from my Verizon Wireless 4G LTE smartphone


-------- Original message --------
From: Andrew Linn <alinn@...>
Date: 10/17/2018 6:59 PM (GMT-08:00)
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Doing More Messing About in Toledo

Y'all can just call it "the old boathouse" or the "original boathouse" :)


On 10/17/2018 3:25 PM, John Kohnen wrote:
> Toledo Joe gave us a very strong hint that the Coots should make more
> use of the Toledo Community Boathouses. Suffice it to say we can now
> use the Boathouses without supervision, though we should coordinate
> with Joe's old retired geezers so we don't get in the way of their
> activities.
>
> The Boathouses now have heat and good lighting, so we can use them for
> indoor activities when the weather is cold. We'll be able to use the
> Boathouse boats. We can even do building projects in the well-equipped
> Andrew Linn Boatshop. :o)
>
> We've done some fun stuff at the old Boathouse (now the Andrew Linn
> Boatshop) when Andrew was the sparkplug and less gainfully employed 
> -- building coracles, learning splicing, getting motorboat permits,
> and other fun stuff. Anybody have any ideas for what we can do over
> there now?
>
> BTW, Bud would probably supply free mooring for Coot boats during
> Boathouse activities, but even if he didn't the rate is only $5 a
> night now! :o)
>
> And the pizza joint is open every day. <g>
>





Electri-Cal
 

Why not try to fit in my folding Pirogue ??  Right now it’s at John Kohnens place.  I loaned it to him to see if a similar rig would work on his trailer.  You’re a bit lighter so that’s good , plus it folds to fit in a 6’ 6” long by 40 in. wide in my EX Tundra. 

 

You might want to try that one on, as the truck is gone,  and the pirogue has the built in electric cruise motor to get home on.  It’s available for trial, for sale too most likely, but free trial since I don’t need it back in any particular hurry now.

 

Have a great day, ----Cal

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Case Turner
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:49 PM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Doing More Messing About in Toledo

 

I would like a small boat that would fit in my cargo trailer camper. My Camp neighbor Bob  Larkin really got me thinking when he pulled his boat out of his minivan...

 

The elegant punt fits that bill but I’m not sure it’s really what I’d like. Something similar.

 

Easy to build, so say if we did a build  it could be at least 3d in two days.

 

If we could parking lot camp or those that want to in the water that would be great.

 

I’m looking at doing something first of year or early spring so I’m ready to go for summer.

 

Anyone want to do this as a Messabout?

 

Other thoughts on boat plans?

 

Dirt.

 

Sent from not here

 

> On Oct 17, 2018, at 6:59 PM, Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:

>

> Y'all can just call it "the old boathouse" or the "original boathouse" :)

>

>

>> On 10/17/2018 3:25 PM, John Kohnen wrote:

>> Toledo Joe gave us a very strong hint that the Coots should make more use of the Toledo Community Boathouses. Suffice it to say we can now use the Boathouses without supervision, though we should coordinate with Joe's old retired geezers so we don't get in the way of their activities.

>>

>> The Boathouses now have heat and good lighting, so we can use them for indoor activities when the weather is cold. We'll be able to use the Boathouse boats. We can even do building projects in the well-equipped Andrew Linn Boatshop. :o)

>>

>> We've done some fun stuff at the old Boathouse (now the Andrew Linn Boatshop) when Andrew was the sparkplug and less gainfully employed  -- building coracles, learning splicing, getting motorboat permits, and other fun stuff. Anybody have any ideas for what we can do over there now?

>>

>> BTW, Bud would probably supply free mooring for Coot boats during Boathouse activities, but even if he didn't the rate is only $5 a night now! :o)

>>

>> And the pizza joint is open every day. <g>

>>

>

>

>

>

 

 

 


Case Turner
 

Thanks for the offer Cal, but need a build fix! 



Sent from not here

On Oct 17, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

Why not try to fit in my folding Pirogue ??  Right now it’s at John Kohnens place.  I loaned it to him to see if a similar rig would work on his trailer.  You’re a bit lighter so that’s good , plus it folds to fit in a 6’ 6” long by 40 in. wide in my EX Tundra. 

 

You might want to try that one on, as the truck is gone,  and the pirogue has the built in electric cruise motor to get home on.  It’s available for trial, for sale too most likely, but free trial since I don’t need it back in any particular hurry now.

 

Have a great day, ----Cal

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Case Turner
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:49 PM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Doing More Messing About in Toledo

 

I would like a small boat that would fit in my cargo trailer camper. My Camp neighbor Bob  Larkin really got me thinking when he pulled his boat out of his minivan...

 

The elegant punt fits that bill but I’m not sure it’s really what I’d like. Something similar.

 

Easy to build, so say if we did a build  it could be at least 3d in two days.

 

If we could parking lot camp or those that want to in the water that would be great.

 

I’m looking at doing something first of year or early spring so I’m ready to go for summer.

 

Anyone want to do this as a Messabout?

 

Other thoughts on boat plans?

 

Dirt.

 

Sent from not here

 

> On Oct 17, 2018, at 6:59 PM, Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:

>

> Y'all can just call it "the old boathouse" or the "original boathouse" :)

>

>

>> On 10/17/2018 3:25 PM, John Kohnen wrote:

>> Toledo Joe gave us a very strong hint that the Coots should make more use of the Toledo Community Boathouses. Suffice it to say we can now use the Boathouses without supervision, though we should coordinate with Joe's old retired geezers so we don't get in the way of their activities.

>>

>> The Boathouses now have heat and good lighting, so we can use them for indoor activities when the weather is cold. We'll be able to use the Boathouse boats. We can even do building projects in the well-equipped Andrew Linn Boatshop. :o)

>>

>> We've done some fun stuff at the old Boathouse (now the Andrew Linn Boatshop) when Andrew was the sparkplug and less gainfully employed  -- building coracles, learning splicing, getting motorboat permits, and other fun stuff. Anybody have any ideas for what we can do over there now?

>>

>> BTW, Bud would probably supply free mooring for Coot boats during Boathouse activities, but even if he didn't the rate is only $5 a night now! :o)

>>

>> And the pizza joint is open every day. <g>

>>

>

>

>

>

 

 

 


--
Dirt


Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@...>
 

Hi Case,

Row, sail paddle, or motor? For how many people? What length inside is
your trailer?

I'd be happy to go over to Toledo for builds or messabouts. Sleep in the
truck canopy in the parking lot, or bring Turtle now that my motor is
running well. Or put up some hammocks in the heated workshop. :-)

Mark


Case Turner
 

I’d say probably row. 8’ long would be max .big enough for two.

Sent from not here

On Oct 17, 2018, at 9:42 PM, Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@pacifier.com> wrote:

Hi Case,

Row, sail paddle, or motor? For how many people? What length inside is
your trailer?

I'd be happy to go over to Toledo for builds or messabouts. Sleep in the
truck canopy in the parking lot, or bring Turtle now that my motor is
running well. Or put up some hammocks in the heated workshop. :-)

Mark


--
Dirt


 

Plenty of skin on frame boats have been built in the Andrew Linn Boatshop (sorry, Andrew, I like the sound of it <g>). They're quick and pleasant to build:

http://gentrycustomboats.com/PRP.html

If you don't mind stitch 'n' goo, and the width will work, Bolger's Rubens Nymph is a capacious 8' boat that'd comfortably carry a couple of people. A Big step up from the original nymph:

https://www.mcssl.com/store/hhpaysoncompany/rubens-nymph---7-9-x-4-6

Bunches of good little boats from the Atkins:

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Dinks/

We'll have to check with Bud about camping in the parking lot.

On 10/17/2018 7:49 PM, Dirt wrote:
I would like a small boat that would fit in my cargo trailer camper. My Camp neighbor Bob Larkin really got me thinking when he pulled his boat out of his minivan...
The elegant punt fits that bill but I’m not sure it’s really what I’d like. Something similar.
Easy to build, so say if we did a build it could be at least 3d in two days.
If we could parking lot camp or those that want to in the water that would be great.
...
--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
I would permit no man, no matter what his color might be, to narrow and degrade my soul by making me hate him. (Booker T. Washington)


Case Turner
 

I have considered building another one of Dave's skin on frame boats. Unfortunately the ones that I am considering are all too big to fit in the trailer. The Piankatank River pram would fit, but I think its quite what I want.

I have plans for cabin boy and another Atkins pram ? floating around in my plan files somewhere. I may have to revisit those again. Itty Bitty could be a good option as it requires very little lofting and should be suitable for plywood construction.

I'm not opposed to using epoxy, however I'd like to avoid stitch and goo,

Dirt



On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 12:51 AM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
Plenty of skin on frame boats have been built in the Andrew Linn
Boatshop (sorry, Andrew, I like the sound of it <g>). They're quick and
pleasant to build:

http://gentrycustomboats.com/PRP.html

If you don't mind stitch 'n' goo, and the width will work, Bolger's
Rubens Nymph is a capacious 8' boat that'd comfortably carry a couple of
people. A Big step up from the original nymph:

https://www.mcssl.com/store/hhpaysoncompany/rubens-nymph---7-9-x-4-6

Bunches of good little boats from the Atkins:

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Dinks/

We'll have to check with Bud about camping in the parking lot.

On 10/17/2018 7:49 PM, Dirt wrote:
> I would like a small boat that would fit in my cargo trailer camper. My Camp neighbor Bob  Larkin really got me thinking when he pulled his boat out of his minivan...
>
> The elegant punt fits that bill but I’m not sure it’s really what I’d like. Something similar.
>
> Easy to build, so say if we did a build  it could be at least 3d in two days.
>
> If we could parking lot camp or those that want to in the water that would be great.
> ...

--
John (jkohnen@...)
I would permit no man, no matter what his color might be, to narrow and
degrade my soul by making me hate him. (Booker T. Washington)





--
Dirt


Electri-Cal
 

Fully understand that, Case !!  I’ clearing up for artistic sculpture at this point, having solved my boat “jones”, for the moment anyhow.   A folder is longer, carries more and is faster, but does require minimal essential assembly to use, all a trade off so just like life choices.

 

I still like the inflatable concept for that duty, but doesn’t row worth spit, unless maybe a Rogue river runner type.  Good luck with your new build, Surprise and I will be looking forward to a visit, now that I can do an easier trip, at less cost.  Just pack boat, the tent and boogie.  I made several “grub boxes”  and trip carriers so that part is solved too.

 

Gimme’a holler if your over this way ----  Cal

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Case Turner
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 9:05 PM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Doing More Messing About in Toledo

 

Thanks for the offer Cal, but need a build fix! 

 

 

Sent from not here


On Oct 17, 2018, at 8:31 PM, Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

Why not try to fit in my folding Pirogue ??  Right now it’s at John Kohnens place.  I loaned it to him to see if a similar rig would work on his trailer.  You’re a bit lighter so that’s good , plus it folds to fit in a 6’ 6” long by 40 in. wide in my EX Tundra. 

 

You might want to try that one on, as the truck is gone,  and the pirogue has the built in electric cruise motor to get home on.  It’s available for trial, for sale too most likely, but free trial since I don’t need it back in any particular hurry now.

 

Have a great day, ----Cal

 

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

 

From: Case Turner
Sent: Wednesday, October 17, 2018 7:49 PM
To: oregoncoots@groups.io
Subject: Re: [oregoncoots] Doing More Messing About in Toledo

 

I would like a small boat that would fit in my cargo trailer camper. My Camp neighbor Bob  Larkin really got me thinking when he pulled his boat out of his minivan...

 

The elegant punt fits that bill but I’m not sure it’s really what I’d like. Something similar.

 

Easy to build, so say if we did a build  it could be at least 3d in two days.

 

If we could parking lot camp or those that want to in the water that would be great.

 

I’m looking at doing something first of year or early spring so I’m ready to go for summer.

 

Anyone want to do this as a Messabout?

 

Other thoughts on boat plans?

 

Dirt.

 

Sent from not here

 

> On Oct 17, 2018, at 6:59 PM, Andrew Linn <alinn@...> wrote:

>

> Y'all can just call it "the old boathouse" or the "original boathouse" :)

>

>

>> On 10/17/2018 3:25 PM, John Kohnen wrote:

>> Toledo Joe gave us a very strong hint that the Coots should make more use of the Toledo Community Boathouses. Suffice it to say we can now use the Boathouses without supervision, though we should coordinate with Joe's old retired geezers so we don't get in the way of their activities.

>>

>> The Boathouses now have heat and good lighting, so we can use them for indoor activities when the weather is cold. We'll be able to use the Boathouse boats. We can even do building projects in the well-equipped Andrew Linn Boatshop. :o)

>>

>> We've done some fun stuff at the old Boathouse (now the Andrew Linn Boatshop) when Andrew was the sparkplug and less gainfully employed  -- building coracles, learning splicing, getting motorboat permits, and other fun stuff. Anybody have any ideas for what we can do over there now?

>>

>> BTW, Bud would probably supply free mooring for Coot boats during Boathouse activities, but even if he didn't the rate is only $5 a night now! :o)

>>

>> And the pizza joint is open every day. <g>

>>

>

>

>

>

 

 

 


--
Dirt

 


Andrew Linn
 

Tik Tak kayak. You could build it in an afternoon.

On 10/18/2018 6:21 AM, Case Turner wrote:
I have considered building another one of Dave's skin on frame boats. Unfortunately the ones that I am considering are all too big to fit in the trailer. The Piankatank River pram would fit, but I think its quite what I want.

I have plans for cabin boy and another Atkins pram ? floating around in my plan files somewhere. I may have to revisit those again. Itty Bitty could be a good option as it requires very little lofting and should be suitable for plywood construction.

I'm not opposed to using epoxy, however I'd like to avoid stitch and goo,

Dirt


Ken Preston
 

8' max for most purposes I'll bet comes back to a scow like the PD Racer or one of Bolger-style square boxes.  My PD would row along in flat conditions very nicely.  Evening calms on Puget Sound made that a very important consideration.  Two people is supposed to be do-able but I never did it.  I'm big, boat is small. . .but 8 feet x 4 feet is about the biggest boat you'll get into 8 feet!


Case Turner
 

Tik Tak wont fit the bill for what I want.

I have built the PDR and it really isn't what I'm looking for either.

Small row boat, with option for small outboard. 8 foot max length.


On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 8:00 AM Ken Preston <kenpreston46@...> wrote:
8' max for most purposes I'll bet comes back to a scow like the PD Racer or one of Bolger-style square boxes.  My PD would row along in flat conditions very nicely.  Evening calms on Puget Sound made that a very important consideration.  Two people is supposed to be do-able but I never did it.  I'm big, boat is small. . .but 8 feet x 4 feet is about the biggest boat you'll get into 8 feet!


--
Dirt


Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@...>
 

Hi Case,

At 09:50 PM 10/17/2018 -0700, you wrote:

I'd say probably row. 8' long would be max .big enough for two.
If I'm not mistaken, Bob Larkin had a pretty little pram from Atkins called
the Tiny Ripple at Toledo in the past few years. It's all of 6 ft long, 3
1/2 ft wide, and the article says it should weigh in at 70 pounds, and can
carry two just fine, three in extremely flat water. I scanned the plans
from a book at the library and that would make a nice boat for you. I'd be
happy to send the scans, or maybe Bob has his plans back from loaning them
out. No fiberglass in the plans that I can see. :-)

Mark


Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@...>
 

Hi Case,

My mistake, it was Dennis Banta who had the Tiny Ripple. But maybe he came
by with Bob in the boat with him.

Either way, a pretty little craft. Still on my list, so I'd be happy if
you wanted to do it and we could share forms.

Mark


Mark Neuhaus <turtle-coot@...>
 

Hi Case,

At 08:38 AM 10/18/2018 -0700, you wrote:

Small row boat, with option for small outboard. 8 foot max length.
Here's another suggestion, but it's 8 1/2 foot long. It's the Shipmite and
I scanned it from two different boatbuilding books, as I have two sets of
scans with different page numbers!

Anyway, it was designed as a fast little sailboat to be built on forms. I
put the dimensions into a 3-d cad packahe years ago and plotted out
drawings for a stitch and glue version. I figured I'd learn s&g on a small
boat before trying to build Moonlit Turtle. I completed it as a rowboat
and never built the sailing parts. But I did take it over to Willapa Bay
right after I bought my Tacoma, and it rode fine upside down in the bed,
and I put my 2 hp Honda on it and it did fine on the bay. Rowing with two
aboard was also fine. I've got pics if you'd like to see it being rowed.
And I could lift it and carry it by myself.

Unfortunately, somehow I trapped mold between the plywood and the glass and
it rotted so bad I just junked it.

I'd be happy to try another one using forms and tack and tape, if that
interests you.

Mark


David
 

For a while I have been thinking about a two piece kayak. Plywood or ridged foam bottom and skin on frame sides. The over all length should be less than 10’. Using a splice bulkhead right behind the seat, both pieces would be individually water tight. I would welcome some help with the lofting and structure.  Would something like that fit the bill?


On Oct 18, 2018 at 00:51, <John Kohnen> wrote:

Plenty of skin on frame boats have been built in the Andrew Linn

Boatshop (sorry, Andrew, I like the sound of it <g>). They're quick and
pleasant to build:

http://gentrycustomboats.com/PRP.html

If you don't mind stitch 'n' goo, and the width will work, Bolger's
Rubens Nymph is a capacious 8' boat that'd comfortably carry a couple of
people. A Big step up from the original nymph:

https://www.mcssl.com/store/hhpaysoncompany/rubens-nymph---7-9-x-4-6

Bunches of good little boats from the Atkins:

http://www.atkinboatplans.com/Dinks/

We'll have to check with Bud about camping in the parking lot.

On 10/17/2018 7:49 PM, Dirt wrote:
> I would like a small boat that would fit in my cargo trailer camper. My Camp neighbor Bob Larkin really got me thinking when he pulled his boat out of his minivan...
>
> The elegant punt fits that bill but I’m not sure it’s really what I’d like. Something similar.
>
> Easy to build, so say if we did a build it could be at least 3d in two days.
>
> If we could parking lot camp or those that want to in the water that would be great.
> ...

--
John (jkohnen@...)
I would permit no man, no matter what his color might be, to narrow and
degrade my soul by making me hate him. (Booker T. Washington)






Richard Green
 

How about a CLC kit for the Eastport Pram?  Row and motor, dinghy.

On Oct 18, 2018, at 8:38 AM, Case Turner <casesturner@...> wrote:

Tik Tak wont fit the bill for what I want.

I have built the PDR and it really isn't what I'm looking for either.

Small row boat, with option for small outboard. 8 foot max length.

On Thu, Oct 18, 2018 at 8:00 AM Ken Preston <kenpreston46@...> wrote:
8' max for most purposes I'll bet comes back to a scow like the PD Racer or one of Bolger-style square boxes.  My PD would row along in flat conditions very nicely.  Evening calms on Puget Sound made that a very important consideration.  Two people is supposed to be do-able but I never did it.  I'm big, boat is small. . .but 8 feet x 4 feet is about the biggest boat you'll get into 8 feet!



--
Dirt


MylesJ Swift
 

John, for such fine work and dedication that should be the Andrew Lynn Memorial Boathouse. You have to be the best to get that level of honor while you are still walking and talking.

MylesJ