Library Offer - will check out !!

Electri-Cal

The Tacoma wooden boat group, that puts out the tall ships programs, and building workshops, public displays etc. -- the current director called me back today.  While john and I were boating, YEA !!!!   They are just putting in a brand new boating library in their huge facility, a permanent availability for their classes, public research also etc.  Kind of exciting to think we -- as Coots members -- might get a early start and have access to several ways of doing this.

This was the message on my machine when we got back.  She sounded like they are looking for a base donor for the new facility,  so I will follow up on that ASAP.  I will check for availability for plan copies, books, shipping and of course a plaque for the Coots Boating Group as might be listed as a founding donor.  Could get a listing we can all be proud of.  Will call tomorrow AM, might have an offer -- or at least details on how many steps they need to get approved for this kind of donation.

Will try to have more info. tomorrows lunch In Albany,  Wheee !! ----  Cal

Jove Lachman-Curl

Hi all, as a new member,( and I love Boatbuilding no books) I’ve been following  these book library conversations, but I’m not up to speed on what the problem is we’re solving, how many books we’re talking about, what has been the historical use and arrangements of these books, etc. can somebody me give me a synopsis?
-Jove

On Sep 19, 2018, at 6:06 PM, Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

[...]

Simply, maybe too simply !!  We older coots have collected books on boating subjects we wanted to know more about.  The historical boats, boating people that are part of our heritage, or on marine subjects in many ways, from steam, sail, small gas, and electric boats.  There is information for you on the web site as well.  Please post more information on your boating experience, if you wish.

Our treasured reference books need a new home, while we can make that decision logically.  In return we need assurance that the club, and its members, get some recognition as a donator to a responsible interested group, reasonably west coast area, locally.  I wouldn’t give mine to a single person, as that might not insure that others have good access decades later.

Since you are new, we would welcome your input, but the group has existed for many years, and will have a panel of leading members to consider the options.  We are boat builders, boat enthusiasts with a passion to remain a source of information for many generations to come.  Please follow as you wish, this discussion has cropped up before, but the time is close to needing this book repository,  for us all.

Thanks for Asking, stay tuned, ----  Cal

Sent from Mail for Windows 10

[...]

Welcome aboard, Jove! Did you ever find your shoes?

The Coots' Lending Library is a collection of books, more than five banker's boxes. The original idea was that the collection would be dispersed among the Coots. If you wanted a book, you'd contact the Coot who held it and arrange to get your hands on it, then you'd hold the book until somebody else wanted it. But, Coots kept "returning" books to me, until I had five banker's boxes of them underfoot! So over a year ago we divvied up the boxes among five Coots, and got a Librarian to keep track of where the books were, but there has been very, very little acticity in the last year, and none of it through the Librarian. they system isn't working. <sigh>

http://www.coots.org/cootlibrary/

--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers. (Lewis Mumford)

Jove Lachman-Curl

Thanks for the overview. It is an interesting thread. What boat enthusiast wouldn’t perk up for this topic?
If this process takes a little while I would like a chance to finger through the pile for a couple hours some evening.
My 2c on the topic is that port Townsend is amazing, I very much enjoyed the festival a couple weeks ago, my first visit there. But it’s also a really long way away, has a ton of this type of stuff already. And I can rarely be bothered ordering long distance library books.
Perhaps a middle ground where the ones port Townsend doesn’t have go up there, and the ones they have duplicates of go to Toledo, which is a place I’d visit more than once a year, and it would be nice to see that boating center flourish and expand. Multnoma seems a good option too.
And it would distribute the knowledge a bit wider.
Anyway. Thanks for the overview.
-Jove, never did find the shoes.

On 9/19/2018 7:09 PM, Jove wrote:
Hi all, as a new member,( and I love Boatbuilding no books) I’ve been following these book library conversations, but I’m not up to speed on what the problem is we’re solving, how many books we’re talking about, what has been the historical use and arrangements of these books, etc. can somebody me give me a synopsis?
--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers. (Lewis Mumford)

lon wells <lononriver@...>

My Guess is that John and Jim Ballou have given the most books. One concern as someone that lived aboard for a decade. The moist atmosphere of a unheated boat or boat house causes problems with books and papers. But I do like the idea of the boathouse. Maybe a small fan or light would work to reduce the moisture problem.

On 9/19/2018 7:09 PM, Jove wrote:
Hi all, as a new member,( and I love Boatbuilding no books) I’ve been following these book library conversations, but I’m not up to speed on what the problem is we’re solving, how many books we’re talking about, what has been the historical use and arrangements of these books, etc. can somebody me give me a synopsis?
--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers. (Lewis Mumford)

Joe Novello

The retired old guy sailing club has taken over the management of the two boathouses in Toledo. The Waterfront Recreation and Education Center (WREC Building) already has thermostatically controlled heat.  We are about two weeks away from having thermostatically controlled heat in the Andrew Linn Boatshop. We can get keys issued to anyone with a a legitimate need.  Currently there are people there on Wednesday’s. During the summer we have folks there every Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. With more volunteers we may be able to add a few more times next year.  Some of the folks with keys open the facilities other times as well.

More information to ponder.

Joe

On Sun, Sep 23, 2018 at 2:32 PM lon wells via Groups.Io <lononriver=yahoo.com@groups.io> wrote:
My Guess is that John and Jim Ballou have given the most books. One concern as someone that lived aboard for a decade. The moist atmosphere of a unheated  boat or boat house  causes problems with books and papers. But I do like the idea of the boathouse.  Maybe a small fan or light would work to reduce the moisture problem.
> On Sep 22, 2018, at 6:05 PM, Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:
>
> Thanks for the overview. It is an interesting thread. What boat enthusiast wouldn’t perk up for this topic?
> If this process takes a little while I would like a chance to finger through the pile for a couple hours some evening.
> My 2c on the topic is that port Townsend is amazing, I very much enjoyed the festival a couple weeks ago, my first visit there. But it’s also a really long way away, has a ton of this type of stuff already. And I can rarely be bothered ordering long distance library books.
> Perhaps a middle ground where the ones port Townsend doesn’t have go up there, and the ones they have duplicates of go to Toledo, which is a place I’d visit more than once a year, and it would be nice to see that boating center flourish and expand. Multnoma seems a good option too.
> And it would distribute the knowledge a bit wider.
> Anyway. Thanks for the overview.
> -Jove, never did find the shoes.
>> On Sep 23, 2018, at 12:16 AM, John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
>>
>> Welcome aboard, Jove! Did you ever find your shoes?
>>
>> The Coots' Lending Library is a collection of books, more than five banker's boxes. The original idea was that the collection would be dispersed among the Coots. If you wanted a book, you'd contact the Coot who held it and arrange to get your hands on it, then you'd hold the book until somebody else wanted it. But, Coots kept "returning" books to me, until I had five banker's boxes of them underfoot! So over a year ago we divvied up the boxes among five Coots, and got a Librarian to keep track of where the books were, but there has been very, very little acticity in the last year, and none of it through the Librarian. they system isn't working. <sigh>
>>
>> http://www.coots.org/cootlibrary/
>>
>>> On 9/19/2018 7:09 PM, Jove wrote:
>>> Hi all, as a new member,( and I love Boatbuilding no books) I’ve been following  these book library conversations, but I’m not up to speed on what the problem is we’re solving, how many books we’re talking about, what has been the historical use and arrangements of these books, etc. can somebody me give me a synopsis?
>>
>> --
>> John (jkohnen@...)
>> Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers. (Lewis Mumford)

--
Joe Novello

I hope I didn't sound snippy in my prior response to you, Joe. Looking back at it, I think I may have seemed curt...

Here's an idea: The Coots provide the Toledo Boathouses with some bookcases with locking doors. One concern about the Boathouses is the many people who go in and out, often with little supervision. Building bookcases could be an excuse for doing a winter project at the Andrew Linn Boatshop. The bookcases would have combination locks, with Coots getting the combination, as well as responsible Boathouse people. Each bookcase would contain a sheet where people can sign out books. They don't have to be Coots, but they will have to give valid contact info.

Every now and then Joe, or somebody else Down There, would send the info on the sheets to the Coot Librarian. Books could be checked out for a month, or whatever period seems reasonable, and there would be a limit on how many books anybody could have checked out at once, to keep things circulating. The Coot Librarian would harass people with overdue books. She would also maintain the online catalog, so you can check to see what's available before heading over to Toledo.

People wanting to access the library would have to visit when they know the Boathouse will be open, or arrange to have someone open it for them. Teak Lady Dave spends a lot of time living on his boat at the docks, or you could pick up a key at the Port office. Not a perfect situation, but certainly workable.

Does that sound like something you'd be willing to deal with, Joe?

The Coots have a stronger connection to Toledo than anywhere else, and it's about equally inconvenient to everybody. <g> There are good arguments for just donating the Coot Library to an existing library, but it'd sure be nice to keep it a _Coot_ library. If we donate the library to a distant library there will be little incentive for Coots to add books to the collection, since it would no longer be _our_ library.

Whadya think?

On 9/23/2018 3:58 PM, Toledo Joe wrote:
The retired old guy sailing club has taken over the management of the two boathouses in Toledo. The Waterfront Recreation and Education Center (WREC Building) already has thermostatically controlled heat.  We are about two weeks away from having thermostatically controlled heat in the Andrew Linn Boatshop. We can get keys issued to anyone with a a legitimate need.  Currently there are people there on Wednesday’s. During the summer we have folks there every Wednesday, Thursday and Sunday. With more volunteers we may be able to add a few more times next year.  Some of the folks with keys open the facilities other times as well.
More information to ponder.
--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
I once knew a writer who, after saying beautiful things about the sea, passed through a Pacific hurricane, and he became a changed man. (Joshua Slocum)

Thanks for your 2 cents, Jove.

Toledo Joe is checking with his cronies over there to see if they'd be interested in hosting the Library. I think that'd be a very good solution to the problem. If that comes to fruition, maybe you can join us for a bookcase building messabout at the Andrew Linn Boatshop and get to know some more Coots.

The Library is scattered in five different directions right now, so it's really not feasible to finger through the piles of books. <sigh>

Sorry about the shoes...

On 9/22/2018 6:05 PM, Jove wrote:
[...]
Falsehood flies, and truth comes limping after it. (Jonathan Swift)

Claire Acord

John,
It sounds to me as if the boathouse would be ideal.  As you may remember I was the head librarian for the Whidbey weaving guild (very large and valuable collection of books, papers and woven samples) we had the most success user wise when we had the books on shelves with see through doors, so folks could see what was on offer even when the library was closed, whetted the appetite as it were, and might inspire other visitors to become Coots. The library was officially open one day a month, and books were checked out then until the next months open.  Might be a nice addition to the Coot calendar, monthly Library Lunch...?
And since Jim Ballou was so generous, it could be the “Jim Ballou memorial Library”, in the Andrew Lynn Boathouse...you Coots are casting a big shadow!
All the best
Claire

--
John (jkohnen@...)
I once knew a writer who, after saying beautiful things about the sea,
passed through a Pacific hurricane, and he became a changed man. (Joshua
Slocum)

--
Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org

The Coots' Jim Ballou Memorial Library. That's a great idea, Claire! Jim was one of the more bookish Coots. But The new Boathouse would be a better home for the Library than the Andrew Linn Boatshop, away from all the sawdust. Andrew once said that he definitely _didn't want_ a library cluttering up the boatshop. <g> See through doors on the bookcases are also a Good Idea. Plexiglass would do the trick, and be easier to work with than real glass.

Toledo Joe has expressed a willingness to mail books to Coots who can't make it to Toledo (me and Cheryl have plenty of mailers!).

On 9/24/2018 1:31 PM, Claire A wrote:
[...]
School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human existence. They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense and common decency. (H. L. Mencken)

Hank

That sounds like a better plan to me, John.  Since we have several Alaska yellow cedar logs at my house begging to be turned into something useful bookcases might be a good use for say several 1X12 boards.  .Another thought would be the Toledo library.  Do not know if they have space for a dedicated library.

Hank

--
John (jkohnen@...)
I once knew a writer who, after saying beautiful things about the sea,
passed through a Pacific hurricane, and he became a changed man. (Joshua
Slocum)

Electri-Cal

Good for those folks would be willing to curate the collection.  Then they would send the books to any coot who needed to look and compare some building plans, methods etc. in say Roseburg, Portland or Tacoma.  The cost of shipping paid by the renter up front, of course, and a time limit so they get back like any local library does, or pay fines as maybe a deposit on the card??  In other words, I might want to check out Bolgers book, Herrishoffs plans, and perhaps the one on rigging a dinghy right, (all of which I own) at this time.  Might want to review a plan of two, make copies of the pages and return.  There are a couple I’d like to read too, can’t remember the name, but it was on the Columbia river, who was that guy who did barges years ago and would you be able to find the copy to send out??

How much will it cost to get them, and how long can I have them??   If there is a time limit, what are the rules on that ??  Lost book charge, just in case of damage, all librarian questions that need answering for proper conservation of a book collection.  It is a ton of work, unless somebody has expertise in the field.

The curatorship is not a free way to have a local library, it is a legacy for books that may not be available on line or not replaceable in the digital age, or cost a good deal to have to buy or replace in case of water or other damage.  This is a big responsibility once it accepts the books that make up a collection.  Lon has many Rudder issues, I have some other Boating issues from the early days as mentioned.  How do you plan to deal with those security issues??

Thanks,  Cal

> [...]

>> http://www.coots.org/cootlibrary/
>>
>>> On 9/19/2018 7:09 PM, Jove wrote:
>>> Hi all, as a new member,( and I love Boatbuilding no books) I’ve been following  these book library conversations, but I’m not up to speed on what the problem is we’re solving, how many books we’re talking about, what has been the historical use and arrangements of these books, etc. can somebody me give me a synopsis?
>>
>> --
>> John (jkohnen@...)
>> Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers. (Lewis Mumford)

Hi All,

What Cal is suggesting is certainly the "Cadillac" version and certainly the most desirable.  I'm gong to speak with the Retired Old Guy Sailing club on Wednesday and see to what level they would like to participate.  I'm pretty sure they are not going to want to be the Sergeant at Arms handling fines or tracking down and recovering missing books or handling fines, fees and/or mailing costs.  If there is an entity that can do it all, most definitely go with it.  I'm curious about what is in place now compared to what Cal's vision is.

Joe

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:01 PM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:

> [...]

>> http://www.coots.org/cootlibrary/
>>
>>> On 9/19/2018 7:09 PM, Jove wrote:
>>> Hi all, as a new member,( and I love Boatbuilding no books) I’ve been following  these book library conversations, but I’m not up to speed on what the problem is we’re solving, how many books we’re talking about, what has been the historical use and arrangements of these books, etc. can somebody me give me a synopsis?
>>
>> --
>> John (jkohnen@...)
>> Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers. (Lewis Mumford)

When I agreed to take one of the library boxes I understood that i would be responsible for mailing requested books to a person after receiving funds to pay the postage. The return postage was also to be paid by the person borrowing the book unless someone else has requested it.  In addition the books were to be kept in a safe place at my home.  I now understand there is a librarian that can coordinate the mailing part.  So far I have never received a book request.

Hank

On Mon, Sep 24, 2018 at 6:59 PM Joe Novello <joenovello3@...> wrote:
> [...]

>> http://www.coots.org/cootlibrary/
>>
>>> On 9/19/2018 7:09 PM, Jove wrote:
>>> Hi all, as a new member,( and I love Boatbuilding no books) I’ve been following  these book library conversations, but I’m not up to speed on what the problem is we’re solving, how many books we’re talking about, what has been the historical use and arrangements of these books, etc. can somebody me give me a synopsis?
>>
>> --
>> John (jkohnen@...)
>> Every generation revolts against its fathers and makes friends with its grandfathers. (Lewis Mumford)

I guess Cal's vote is against moving the Coot Library to the Toledo Boathouses. ;o)

Right now most of the Library books are in banker's boxes in the homes of several Coots. The rest are being held by Coots until somebody else wants them, or they feel like giving them to one of the Coots with a box of books. If someone wants a book mailed to them they work out the shipping costs through the Librarian with whoever holds the book. Some of our best books have been held so long that the Coots who are supposed to have them can't remember where they are. ,sigh> The system doesn't work, and the only Library activity I can recall recently has been a few handoffs between Coots in person.

The idea I laid out a few messages ago was that if the Boathouses host the Coot Library the Coot Librarian will continue to keep track of the books. Someone in Toledo will send updates from the checkout sheets to the Librarian. There will be a set loan period, after which the Librarian will harass the offender. If we think there need to be fines it'll probably be something like, "get that book back to the Library or you're gonna have to buy me a beer!" We're Coots after all. <g> The Boathouses' responsibility would be to keep the books safe, handle checking out books to non-Coots (that might require some vetting to confirm contact information), and keeping the Coot Librarian informed about who has what, from the checkout sheets.

We've got some good books in the Library, but few of them are really valuable. When it comes time to trim my own library down I may choose to donate the most valuable books to someplace like the McCurdy Library in Port Townsend, but I'd rather give the rest to a place like a Coot Library in Toledo, that I feel more connected to, and serves people I know and a community I've become quite fond of.

Speaking of librarians... Wasn't Chuck Gerttula librarian at the high school? maybe we need to get him involved. <g>

On 9/24/2018 6:58 PM, Toledo Joe wrote:
What Cal is suggesting is certainly the "Cadillac" version and certainly the most desirable.  I'm gong to speak with the Retired Old Guy Sailing club on Wednesday and see to what level they would like to participate. I'm pretty sure they are not going to want to be the Sergeant at Arms handling fines or tracking down and recovering missing books or handling fines, fees and/or mailing costs.  If there is an entity that can do it all, most definitely go with it.  I'm curious about what is in place now compared to what Cal's vision is.
--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
Civility is not a sign of weakness, and sincerity is always subject to proof. (John F. Kennedy)

I can think of better things to do with 1x12 yellow cedar planks. Ever heard of a "boat"? ;o)

Public libraries are terrible places to donate any books you care about (with rare exceptions like the Multnomah County Library and historic books). Anything that doesn't vigorously circulate ends up in the next used book sale. <sigh> No public library is gonna want to keep a separate collection for a bunch of boat nuts -- unless it comes with a big donation from Bill Gates.<g>

On 9/24/2018 2:51 PM, Hank wrote:
That sounds like a better plan to me, John.  Since we have several Alaska yellow cedar logs at my house begging to be turned into something useful bookcases might be a good use for say several 1X12 boards. .Another thought would be the Toledo library.  Do not know if they have space for a dedicated library.
--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. (Patrick F. McManus)

Case Turner

I actually had forgot about the library. I
Have helped move books around in the past by requesting them and sending them along the way to the next person.

With that said the last time I took or sent a book was??? I don’t have any Coot books currently.

I think the idea of having them all in one location, makes sense. Oregon sounds better than somewhere Coots don’t visit often.

My copy of Instant Boats is floating around out there somewhere. Wish I had it right now as we need to Build a couple Elegant punts this winter.

Anyone have the book or plans?

Case

On 9/24/2018 2:51 PM, Hank wrote:
That sounds like a better plan to me, John. Since we have several Alaska yellow cedar logs at my house begging to be turned into something useful bookcases might be a good use for say several 1X12 boards. .Another thought would be the Toledo library. Do not know if they have space for a dedicated library.
--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
There is no greater fan of fly fishing than the worm. (Patrick F. McManus)

Claire Acord

One thing John,
Make the cabinet fronts out of hardware cloth, or even chicken wire, books are somewhat hydroscopic, so will benefit from air circulation, nothing worse than a musty smelling book...well, there are lots of things worse, but I think most folks dislike a smelly book.
Let me know how I can help
Cheers
Claire

--
John (jkohnen@...)
School days, I believe, are the unhappiest in the whole span of human
existence. They are full of dull, unintelligible tasks, new and
unpleasant ordinances, brutal violations of common sense and common
decency. (H. L. Mencken)

--
Stay afloat with current events....visit Traditional Small Craft Association - Puget Sound's website:
http://www.tscapuget.org
Claire Acord

Electri-Cal

How about mould, books die quick from moisture in the air.  A good air control system is also necessary that keeps the pages flat, mould ruins a book fast.  That’s why I don’t like the waterfront location at all.

Just a note,  Cal

--
John (jkohnen@...)