A sea change is in the offing

Andrew Linn

Tomorrow, I travel north to complete a circle. I'll be buying a Newport 16, which you might remember, was the first 'real' sailboat I ever owned.

I have some high hopes for this boat. Doing the Columbia 150 again, doing the full Race to Alaska, really bopping around the Pacific Northwest.

Wish me luck.

David Graybeal

Good luck. Hope she's in great shape, and you recreate your first love, and have oodles of adventures aboard!

Dan

I just astounded myself.  A quick scribble of places and numbers shows me that I have towed boat trailers over 10,000 miles this past year.  That’s from Texas to Tulsa to Toledo, and far beyond.  In most cases it was to get AWAY from what I’m used to, with a constant lure of greener “grass” over the next hill.  But, I daresay it isn’t the place—so much as the opportunity to meet up with people of a similar persuasion.

To do this boat fever induced wandering, I find that I leave some pretty spectacular surroundings behind to traipse across some pretty mundane ones.

No, I don’t think the climate or weather or tree-density has as much to do with it, as the people you get to meet, and keep as friends.

From big bugs and humidity to being aground and sinking in 500 feet of water, every place has its hazards and discomforts.  But at every campfire, secluded anchorage, and crowded boat show; there is the opportunity to learn somebody’s life story.  Sometimes you have to wade across a mud flat.  Sometimes you have to row against the ebb in a downpour—more likely, constant drizzlemistfogdrip.

I say, break suction and go to as many of these places as you can.  It really is worth it.

Dan Rogers,

Almostcanada