[MessaboutW] Re: Race to Alaska

Andrew Linn

Victoria BC is worth it. What a place! There is another team from Oregon here, Team Forest Grove in a Montgomery 15. Steve and Tom. They made the harbor before the tide change.

On Jun 4, 2015, at 9:58 PM, k7kit@... [MessaboutW] <MessaboutW@...> wrote:

Glad they are ashore safe and sound!

k7kit@...

Andy, the questions would be:  Would you do it again?  The whole shebang or Victoria?

Andrew Linn

First leg: Sure. It's a long way to Alaska.

On Jun 5, 2015, at 8:36 AM, k7kit@... [MessaboutW] <MessaboutW@...> wrote:

Andy, the questions would be:  Would you do it again?  The whole shebang or Victoria?

I'm glad you guys made it to Victoria OK. Looks like you took the scenic route to get there. ;o) R2AK posted the finishing results for the first leg and Team mastgate wasn't on it! You didn't drop out, did you? I didn't think so...

Just when did you cross the finish line last night? You sure had a LONG day! <g> I look forward to hearing your yarn about the crossing.

Victoria is a nice city. Mary cried when the Coho took us away after our first visit there.

--
John (jkohnen@...)
The fact is that the average man's love of liberty is nine-

If you didn't follow Team Mastgate's Spot track, here's an image of Andrew and Tom's route across the Strait. The flood tide and west wind gave them a detour onto the scenic route. <g>

http://www.boat-links.com/images/R2AK-MastgateRte.png

According to the Spot track, they got into Victoria about 11:30 last night -- after a 5:30 AM start!

--
John (jkohnen@...)
One boat just leads to another. (John Kohnen)

Andrew Linn

That pic shows it pretty well, We were sailing along, happy as clams, and the tide started to turn, so we angled to make for shore and maybe avoid some of the thrust. Then the wind died and you can see that curve as we lost forward progress. We were being swept backwards at about 5mph, so, in desperation, sailed through the tide rip into the backwash behind Discovery Island. From there, it was something like 4 hours of light airs, swirling currents, and nav hazards.

We are leaving Victoria in a couple hours. Winds are predicted to be light. If we can't sail faster than 4mph, we will motor.

On Jun 5, 2015, at 11:26 PM, 'John Kohnen' jkohnen@... [MessaboutW] <MessaboutW@...> wrote:

If you didn't follow Team Mastgate's Spot track, here's an image of Andrew
and Tom's route across the Strait. The flood tide and west wind gave them
a detour onto the scenic route. <g>

http://www.boat-links.com/images/R2AK-MastgateRte.png

According to the Spot track, they got into Victoria about 11:30 last night
-- after a 5:30 AM start!

--
John (jkohnen@...)
One boat just leads to another. (John Kohnen)

No flaming, cursing, politics, religion or public mopery. Please be polite. New members have their messages moderated until after their first message is posted. Information about the Coots and their events can be found at http://www.coots.org/

Yahoo Groups Links