Topics

RiversWest Maritime Skills Workshops for 2015

Randy Torgerson

RiversWest has posted the schedule for the Maritime Skills Workshops for 2015.  The schedule can be found here:  http://www.riverswest.org/workshops.html and below.

RiversWest Maritime Skills Workshops for 2015
February 28.  Bronze Casting with Michael Simmons
Continuation of the Fall 2014 bronze casting class.  Open to those with previous bronze casting experience with approval of the instructor.
Class starts at 9:00 AM and ends at 3:30 PM
Class fee is $30 members and $40 non-members; the material cost is $40 for those who did not take the fall Bronze Casting Class
The minimum number of students is 2 and the maximum is 6.

March 14. Knots 101 with Steve Mahoney
A demonstration/overview of approximately 15 knots useful to the sailor.  The class will select 5 knots for further discussion and practice.  Each student will take home rope to practice with.
Class starts at 9:00 AM and ends at noon
Class fee is $20 members and $30 non-members; there is no material cost.
The minimum number of students is 1 and the maximum is 6.

March 28. Wooden Spokeshave and Spar Gauge with Michael Simmons and Randy Torgerson
Make a wooden spokeshave that can be used in making oars, paddles, spars, chair legs, and anything you want to make round. You will build a wood-handled spokeshave from wood blanks provided or you may bring your own wood.  You will also build a spar gauge.
Class starts at 9:00 AM and ends at 3:30 PM
Class fee is $30 members and $40 non-members; the material cost is $20
The minimum number of students is 2 and the maximum is 6.

April 25, 26.  Oar Making with Randy Torgerson
Good oars are hard to find; make a pair for your boat. We will be making wooden oars based on a R. D. "Pete" Culler design taken from his book "Boats, Oars and Rowing". We expect that you will complete one oar in class and make significant progress on the second, which you will complete at home. The plans call for nominal 8 foot oars but the basic design can lengthen or shortened to meet your needs.
Class starts at 9:00 AM and ends at 3:30 on both days.
Class fee is $30 members and $40 non-members; the material cost is $80
The minimum number of students is 2 and the maximum is 6.

May 9.  Scale Model Making with Art Wilson
Explore a totally new "Scale Model Boat Building" process.  We will build a large scale (1:6) model of the Catspaw Dinghy.
Class starts at 9:00 AM and ends at 3:30 PM.
Class fee is $30 members and $40 non-members; the material cost is $10
The minimum number of students is 3 and the maximum is 6.

May 30.  Lofting the Herreshoff Dinghy Part 3 with Steve Najjar
First we will review and double-check our previous work in lofting the lines plan of the Herreshoff Dinghy.  Then, because we lofted the boat at half-length, we will expand the bow and stern of the boat to get a true sense of the shape of the stem and the stern of the boat.  This will include expanding the transom to determine its true shape.
Class starts at 9:00 AM and ends at 2:00 PM.
Class fee is $30 members and $40 non-members; there is no material cost
The minimum number of students is 2 and the maximum is 10.

June 13.  Steam Bending with John Whitehouse
Learn how to bend wood using steam heat, how to set up an inexpensive steam chamber to suit your project, and use various tricks of the trade including laminations and solid wood bends. This will be a hands-on demonstration: bring heavy leather-palm gloves to protect yourself.
Class starts at 9:00 AM and ends at noon
Class fee is $20 members and $30 non-members; there is no material cost.
The minimum number of students is 2 and the maximum is 8.

June 27, 28. Handcut Dovetails with John Bouwsma
Dovetail joinery is beautiful and handcut even more so. In this class each student will cut the dovetails for a small box. The materials cost includes enough material for a top and bottom for the box; most students will complete these parts at home.
Class starts at 9:00 AM and end at 3:30 PM both days
Class fee is $30 members and $40 non-members; the material cost is $10
The minimum number of students is 2 and the maximum is 8.

September 26, 27.  Wooden Block Planes with Randy Torgerson and Michael Simmons
Build a wooden smoothing plane and a wooden low angle block plane with irons (blades) to match.  You will work with O1 tool steel to make the plane irons which we will heat treat.  You will complete one plane in class and finish the second at home.
Class starts at 9:00 AM and ends at 3:30 PM both days
Class fee is $30 members and $40 non-members; the material cost is $40
The minimum number of students is 2 and the maximum is 6.

October 10, 11.  Birds Mouth Spars with Craig Bryant
We will build a hollow wood mizzen mast for the Hall Templeton using the Birds' Mouth method. We will work cooperatively, switching tasks to give everyone an opportunity to learn a task. The first day will get us from raw stock to a glued up mast. On the second day, we will go from an eight sided mast to round (or as far as time allows).
Class starts at 9:00 AM and ends at 3:00 PM both days
Class fee is $30 members and $40 non-members; the material cost is $10
The minimum number of students is 2 and the maximum is 4.

October 24.  TBD

October 31. TBD

November 14.  TBD

RiversWest Demonstrations Schedule for 2015
Demonstrations will take place on the first and third Saturdays between 10 and 11 AM, although the demonstrations could run longer. There is no fee for attending and no sign up.  Just show up and enjoy.  If you would like to present a demonstration email education@...; there a several date still available in 2015.

No demonstrations in January
February 7
February 21 - Hand Plane Tuning, Mike Fesenmeyer, 10 to 11 AM
March 7
March 21 - Oar and Paddle Making, Randy Torgerson, 10 to 11 AM
No demonstrations in April
May 2 - How to Leather an Oar, Mike Simmons, 10 to 11 AM
May 16 - Selecting a Block Plane, Mark Ramsby, 10 to 11 AM
June 6
June 20 - How to Spice Double Braid, Chuck Stuckey, 10 to 11 AM
July 18 - Global Warming on Forest Management, Dick Dewey, 10 to 11 AM
August 1
August 15
September 19
October 3