Toledo Show

http://portoftoledo.org/wooden-boat-show-2/

There's free camping for exhibitors in a big field near the docks.

The voyage from the Toledo launch ramp, a couple of miles away downriver by the airport, can be difficult for a sailboat, with the wind coming from every direction you can imagine. The tide will be coming in towards Toledo on Friday, when most of us arrive, but it will also be rising, on the nose to get back to the ramp, Sunday afternoon when we leave. <sigh> Last year a few of us stayed over Sunday night, which was a nice and relaxed way to do things, and this year that'd mean we could ride the ebb tide to the ramp Monday morning.

If you bring the faux tug you won't have to worry so much about the tides. The little sailboat could sail around in the slough. I've taken people for boat rides in my motorboat out on the river. There are advantages to each. <shrug>

Pretty mild tides that weekend:

Friday Fri 2014-08-15
High Tide: 5:08 AM PDT 7.2
Low Tide: 11:17 AM PDT 0.9
High Tide: 5:30 PM PDT 8.4

Saturday Sat 2014-08-16
Low Tide: 12:16 AM PDT 0.6
High Tide: 6:14 AM PDT 6.5
Low Tide: 12:06 PM PDT 1.6
High Tide: 6:21 PM PDT 8.2

Sunday Sun 2014-08-17 Last Quarter Moon
Low Tide: 1:24 AM PDT 0.7
High Tide: 7:29 AM PDT 5.9
Low Tide: 1:03 PM PDT 2.2
High Tide: 7:18 PM PDT 7.9

Monday Mon 2014-08-18
Low Tide: 2:35 AM PDT 0.7
High Tide: 8:53 AM PDT 5.6
Low Tide: 2:10 PM PDT 2.6
High Tide: 8:20 PM PDT 7.7

Some pix from last year:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/jkohnen/sets/72157635282317956/

I'm looking forward to meeting you at Toledo, Dan.

On Fri, 18 Jul 2014 19:55:34 -0700, Dan R wrote:

I'm also hoping to attend the Toledo gathering this next month. About all I
have to go on is the pictures in the COOTS calendar. I don't have anything
show-quality; but assume that the best way to meet COOTS is to come with
something floaty. Which would be more appropriate to the area? A 13 foot
sailboat, or a 14 foot faux tug/workboat? Also is there a place close to
the action to dry camp in my "homeless van?"
--
John (jkohnen@boat-links.com)
A fool and his money are soon elected. (Will Rogers)

Dan

Dan Rogers here.

I’ve been violating the sacred compact with summer and working indoors for a couple days.  The project has been to assemble what I’ll loosely call a “messabout rig.”  It’s a long-nascent idea where I expect to haul both a small motor boat and a small sailboat on the same trailer.  I’d like to try it out on your Toledo meet, but I have a couple etiquette questions.  My own messabout background was shaped by years as a SCUZBUM.  So, please pardon my ignorance.

Is the Toledo show just for displaying show-quality boats for an essentially land-arriving public audience?  Or, do you accommodate water-borne arrivals/activity participants—such as myself—who might come by boat?  Basically, is there dock space for less-than-elegant vessels from foreign lands (Almostcanada in this case)?

My plan has been to bring my 8-year old nephew, in the hopes that he can join in with the family activities I believe you guys put on at your boat shop.  Assuming that the answer to my first question is “yes,” then we expect to camp out in my tow vehicle/homeless van.  Should we figure to do that at the upriver launch ramp area?  Or, am I completely mis-reading the smoke signals, and that idea won’t work?

Thanks,

Dan

Shenanigan and Limerick

Diamond Lake, WA

Dan

Thank you, John, Case & Andy!

This is the short note I sent to the POT folks:

Good Morning:

I’m planning on attending the wooden boat show this month, and would appreciate information on some of the how, where, and when’s.  I understand there is a launch ramp upstream from your venue that most of the small craft exhibitors use.  And the COOTS forum members have offered descriptions of that.  However, I believe you folks provide the pier space for visiting boats. I expect to bring a small (14’) motor launch with a 9 foot sailing dinghy in tow.  Preferably, I’ll keep both boats in the water for the entire event—perhaps arriving on Thursday afternoon.

Additionally, my intention is to dry camp in my tow vehicle, at or near the exhibition site, if possible.  If that is not permitted or otherwise a poor option, do you have other recommendations?  And, finally, are there public showers anyplace nearby?

Thanks, very much.

Dan Rogers

462 Diamond Dr.

Newport, WA  99156

509-447-2197

DanAshore@...

And, now, one more lay-of-the-land question.  If I should come from the east, by way of the Cascade Lakes district adjacent to Bend and LaPine; am I going to wish I wasn’t towing a trailer with a homeless van on that highway over the mountains?  Years ago, while Route 66-ing with Lady Bug I hit some of those lakes via the main drag north from Klamath Falls, etc.  As I recall, (in the antediluvian days before GPS) I got quite lost around Wikiup Reservoir (following the launch ramp signs) and shredded a trailer tire on one of those rock road beds out there.  I’m guessing the wagon trail west is better than that.  And, also, since then Les Schwab and I have become travelling companions.

Peyton and I are looking forward to entering COOT-dom, and doing all the COOT-stuff in a couple weeks!

Thanks, again.

Dan