Topics

Car Engine for boat

antec007

I haven't done it, but have been interested.
(I think I'm intersted in about everything)

Wooden Boat Magazine had a design contest a few year
ago for a Subabu Auto engine powered boat.
I got the first issue on it, but not the one on the actual
conversion.
This is the issue
converting a Subaru engine for marine use, 134:52
Other references can be found by typing in Subaru at search.
http://catboat1.woodenboat.com/wbindex/search.html

I've been trying to find out more as I think Subaru
woud be great for Boat use. (Small,flat,long lived,economical)
I'm too cheap to spring for a back issue.
Any body Got #134.
I would be interested in what changes need to be made,
and how expensive the thing would be.
There's a ton of Subaru's out there.

I did see a work boat over at Yaquina Bay years ago
that had a standard car or truck engine and transmision
of unknows make, with a propeller shaft attached to the
U joint off the tanny and a steel frame to support the
shaft and prop.
The shaft and prop could be uphauled out of the water.
Looked very crude, but looked like it must have worked,
as the boat looked Very much used.

I have seen a "Log Pusher" and thought about that after
writing. Have also seen "Bumper Boats" amusment park
rides that do the same thing.

Pat

--- In MessaboutW@y..., thoms.bryn@d... wrote:
The log pusher. Several years ago I was collecting sediment
samples on
WeyCo. Springfield's log pond in the middle of winter. It was very
foggy
and I felt like we were in a calm piece of the ocean or a harbor,
because
you couldn't see the edges. You could here the noises, though,
like the
steam out of the stacks and the rumbling of the machinery, and most
of all
the smell of sulfur, (around here we call that the "smell of
money").
Anyway, one of the log pond fellows had a log pusher (steel hull),
I'm sure
he had a more appropriate name for it, I can't remember it though,
that he
used to push the last remaining logs to the chain and mill at the
west end
for final removal. While we were out in the log pond on a pontoon
boat
driving core, he would offer assistance with his log pusher. One
time, out
of my dismay for his disregard to THE UNION, he let me drive the
thing
around a bit. It was like a bucking bronco, or a weeble wobble on
water. I
swear we were gonna tip over. Anyway, it had a wheel directly of
over the
outboard shaft and you could spin that boat in circles or do all
sorts of
weird maneuvers. There was no reverse, you just very quickly
turned the
wheel 180 degrees. If you would fart around at 90 or 270 or
anything in
between 0 and 180 you'd start going sideways. The operator was a
pro, he
had been out on that log pond for probably a good 20 years. He was
a dying
breed, I suppose. Soon after we completed the job, WeyCo.,
decommissioned
the log pond and it turned it into chip storage. I noticed they
had a
couple of the log pushers, and if I my memory serves me correctly,
both
boats were left high and dry in the boneyard. I wonder if there
are still
out there. Seems a shame they don't have them on display in a
museum, or up
at the front desk, or something like that.

Another fun job at the log pond, was when we strapped a trackhoe to
a very
small steel barge to collect sediment samples. I was the geo that
was
logging the samples when the trackhoe bucket would drop a big pile
of
rotting elephant dung on the deck in front of me. It was a great
job, I had
to hang on every time the trackhoe would stick his arm out over the
edge of
the barge and the gunwale would drop under water, I'd be on the
upper side,
right behind the roaring diesel. Then the arm would come up and
the barge
would slosh back to the other side, I'd get up close to the side of
trackhoe
as the operator would swing the bucket over in front of me and drop
his
load. The whole time I would be scrambling around trying to stay
dry and be
ready for a capsize (unlikely, but it sure felt like it).

That's fun thinking about the field days.

Anyone, installed a car engine in a boat?