Date   

Re: Batteries again, Upgrade

johnacord
 

I have had very good service from the Universal Power Group (UPG) batteries.  I like that they are one of the few battery manufactures that publish ( and make readily available!!) a full range of specs:  AH, KWH & charge discharge curves.   Attached is the data sheet for a 100AH AGM. If I were powering an electric boat using AGM I would consider them a good choice. 

John Acord


Re: Batteries again, Upgrade

Jove Lachman-Curl
 

Also, what it is your operating voltage and motor type.
-Jove

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 11:46 AM Jove Lachman-Curl <jovelc87@...> wrote:
Very interesting Cal,
What is the AMP hrs on each of those, four batteries is it? And amp hours total?
Boat size & weight? I'm not familiar with Surprise.
I work at Arcimoto, a small electric vehicle company in Eugene, So I'm always looking at kWh and range etc.
-Jove

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:06 AM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
I was yakking with the shop manager at Interstate battery co. yesterday.  Armed with the battery info. from my current two deep cycle power packs, and other data.  Looking for more time at the specificc power amp settings I use for cruise power on Surprise.  How long at what setting, without "drop off" can I expect.  Trying to avoid the switch resetting as trips wear down the battery, and so has more even power through the trip.  Easier on the plates, and faster recharge over average use cycles.

Other part was the weight of each of 4 batteries in the two a--b packs. Going over the series 27 size case added too much on my size boat.  The warehouse manager weighed in on the subject, and we came up with a workable solution for my specific needs.  Electric boats are more iong term drain, but also need constant drain power.  Drop off after say an hour or two can make the battery degrade slightly, if run too low, like over half by much.  Even at that mark, the pulling power requires that I crank up the setting, and that is the problem.  I got a pair of specific batteries, for commercial power drains of a more constant nature. 

Still size 27 case, but with 4.1 extra lb. of lead in each case.  Must be a different composition to hold deep charges even longer.  Not commonly offered from what I see, but I won't know till Charlie and I get on the lake today.  After that run around Dexter, this morning maybe 11 or noonish, we will have the first runs and see how they last.  I expect around 20% longer runs, from what the Interstate manager decided looked about right.  If that works I will add another chapter to this, with model numbers. 

AFTER TESTING A COUPLE TIMES. I would use several opinions as to values and output before I give out data.  That way, if somebody else doesn't get the same results, I'm not  the sole source on this. An added 20% or close, at a reasonable price seems good, but we'll see asap.

Stay Tuned,   Cal                      PS____  Depth finder video camera takes a halt for now !!  I'd rather have more run time on Surprise, this was an option I had not seen before, so here goes !!


  

.


Re: Batteries again, Upgrade

Jove Lachman-Curl
 

Very interesting Cal,
What is the AMP hrs on each of those, four batteries is it? And amp hours total?
Boat size & weight? I'm not familiar with Surprise.
I work at Arcimoto, a small electric vehicle company in Eugene, So I'm always looking at kWh and range etc.
-Jove

On Tue, Aug 25, 2020 at 7:06 AM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
I was yakking with the shop manager at Interstate battery co. yesterday.  Armed with the battery info. from my current two deep cycle power packs, and other data.  Looking for more time at the specificc power amp settings I use for cruise power on Surprise.  How long at what setting, without "drop off" can I expect.  Trying to avoid the switch resetting as trips wear down the battery, and so has more even power through the trip.  Easier on the plates, and faster recharge over average use cycles.

Other part was the weight of each of 4 batteries in the two a--b packs. Going over the series 27 size case added too much on my size boat.  The warehouse manager weighed in on the subject, and we came up with a workable solution for my specific needs.  Electric boats are more iong term drain, but also need constant drain power.  Drop off after say an hour or two can make the battery degrade slightly, if run too low, like over half by much.  Even at that mark, the pulling power requires that I crank up the setting, and that is the problem.  I got a pair of specific batteries, for commercial power drains of a more constant nature. 

Still size 27 case, but with 4.1 extra lb. of lead in each case.  Must be a different composition to hold deep charges even longer.  Not commonly offered from what I see, but I won't know till Charlie and I get on the lake today.  After that run around Dexter, this morning maybe 11 or noonish, we will have the first runs and see how they last.  I expect around 20% longer runs, from what the Interstate manager decided looked about right.  If that works I will add another chapter to this, with model numbers. 

AFTER TESTING A COUPLE TIMES. I would use several opinions as to values and output before I give out data.  That way, if somebody else doesn't get the same results, I'm not  the sole source on this. An added 20% or close, at a reasonable price seems good, but we'll see asap.

Stay Tuned,   Cal                      PS____  Depth finder video camera takes a halt for now !!  I'd rather have more run time on Surprise, this was an option I had not seen before, so here goes !!


  

.


Batteries again, Upgrade

Electri-Cal
 

I was yakking with the shop manager at Interstate battery co. yesterday.  Armed with the battery info. from my current two deep cycle power packs, and other data.  Looking for more time at the specificc power amp settings I use for cruise power on Surprise.  How long at what setting, without "drop off" can I expect.  Trying to avoid the switch resetting as trips wear down the battery, and so has more even power through the trip.  Easier on the plates, and faster recharge over average use cycles.

Other part was the weight of each of 4 batteries in the two a--b packs. Going over the series 27 size case added too much on my size boat.  The warehouse manager weighed in on the subject, and we came up with a workable solution for my specific needs.  Electric boats are more iong term drain, but also need constant drain power.  Drop off after say an hour or two can make the battery degrade slightly, if run too low, like over half by much.  Even at that mark, the pulling power requires that I crank up the setting, and that is the problem.  I got a pair of specific batteries, for commercial power drains of a more constant nature. 

Still size 27 case, but with 4.1 extra lb. of lead in each case.  Must be a different composition to hold deep charges even longer.  Not commonly offered from what I see, but I won't know till Charlie and I get on the lake today.  After that run around Dexter, this morning maybe 11 or noonish, we will have the first runs and see how they last.  I expect around 20% longer runs, from what the Interstate manager decided looked about right.  If that works I will add another chapter to this, with model numbers. 

AFTER TESTING A COUPLE TIMES. I would use several opinions as to values and output before I give out data.  That way, if somebody else doesn't get the same results, I'm not  the sole source on this. An added 20% or close, at a reasonable price seems good, but we'll see asap.

Stay Tuned,   Cal                      PS____  Depth finder video camera takes a halt for now !!  I'd rather have more run time on Surprise, this was an option I had not seen before, so here goes !!


  

.


Re: Another Kind of Coot

Teresa Pittman
 

Lon had one but it never ran. No idea what happened to it.

“Throw out the radio and take the fiddle down from the wall.”
— Andrew Nelson Lytle, Tennessee, 1930

On Jun 26, 2020, at 1:09 PM, John Kohnen <@Jkohnen> wrote:

https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/cootworld/

IIRC, Lon, or one of his friends, acquaintances or tenants, had one of these...

--
John <@Jkohnen>
The cabin of a small yacht is truly a wonderful thing; not only will it shelter you from a tempest, but from the other troubles in life, it is a safe retreat. (L. Francis Herreshoff)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com




Re: September Columbia Cruise

elaineginader
 

Ha ha good one Mark. I've been hoping for a cruise this year. I have a crew just in case a wind comes up. But if not my hubby Gary and I are working on the motor a bit. Michael suggested to change the spark plugs. I've had her out using the motor (no wind) before she's a dream and super easy to maneuver. 


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 7:15 PM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:
Elaine,

Thanks for the info and pic. Very sweet.

I have to warn you, that this time, if anything goes wrong, I refuse to pull it up onto the dock, ala Toledo. 😀



I_.


Re: September Columbia Cruise

Mark Neuhaus
 

Elaine,

Thanks for the info and pic. Very sweet.

I have to warn you, that this time, if anything goes wrong, I refuse to pull it up onto the dock, ala Toledo. 😀



I_.


Re: September Columbia Cruise

elaineginader
 

Thank you John great album. I'm hoping to take Belle out and have as much fun as Michael did. Just need to get the "I don't want to break her" syndrome to go away.


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 6:31 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
It's great that you'll be able to join us for the cruise, Elaine. :o)
Here are some shots of Belle Starr when Michael owned her:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y596a3lq

or

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=43145927%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&text=starr&view_all=1


On 8/21/2020 6:18 PM, elaine wrote:
> It's a Stone Horse.
>

--
John <jkohnen@...>
Assistance given to the weak makes the one who gives it strong. (Booker
T. Washington)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com





Re: Banta boat

Jhcalbany@aol.com
 

Yep, Dennis the old Coot


Re: September Columbia Cruise

 

It's great that you'll be able to join us for the cruise, Elaine. :o) Here are some shots of Belle Starr when Michael owned her:

https://preview.tinyurl.com/y596a3lq

or

https://www.flickr.com/search/?user_id=43145927%40N00&sort=date-taken-desc&text=starr&view_all=1

On 8/21/2020 6:18 PM, elaine wrote:
It's a Stone Horse.
--
John <@Jkohnen>
Assistance given to the weak makes the one who gives it strong. (Booker T. Washington)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Re: September Columbia Cruise

elaineginader
 

It's a Stone Horse.


On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 2:44 PM elaineginader via groups.io <elaineginader=gmail.com@groups.io> wrote:
It took a bit of looking through Michael's blog " Doryman " but here's the specs 

LOA: 23 feet, 4 inches
LWL: 18 feet, 4 inches
BEAM: 7 feet 1 inch
DRAFT: 3 feet, 4 inches
WEIGHT: 4,490 pounds 
SAIL AREA: 339 square feet 
HULL: full keel, keel-hung rudder
AUXILIARY POWER: outboard in well.

Yes she was Michael's here's a picture. 

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 2:20 PM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:
Hi Elaine,

On Thursday, August 20, 2020, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

I'm coming, work gave me the time off. I have a first mate so if there's wind we can put Bells sails up. This will be my first messabout and my first real cruise with Belle.

I'm hoping to be among the fleet, too.  Any page with Belle's specs, such as length and draft and pics?

Mark 


Re: September Columbia Cruise

elaineginader
 

It took a bit of looking through Michael's blog " Doryman " but here's the specs 

LOA: 23 feet, 4 inches
LWL: 18 feet, 4 inches
BEAM: 7 feet 1 inch
DRAFT: 3 feet, 4 inches
WEIGHT: 4,490 pounds 
SAIL AREA: 339 square feet 
HULL: full keel, keel-hung rudder
AUXILIARY POWER: outboard in well.

Yes she was Michael's here's a picture. 

On Fri, Aug 21, 2020, 2:20 PM Mark Neuhaus <moonlitturtle1934@...> wrote:
Hi Elaine,

On Thursday, August 20, 2020, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

I'm coming, work gave me the time off. I have a first mate so if there's wind we can put Bells sails up. This will be my first messabout and my first real cruise with Belle.

I'm hoping to be among the fleet, too.  Any page with Belle's specs, such as length and draft and pics?

Mark 


Re: September Columbia Cruise

Mark Neuhaus
 

Hi Elaine,

On Thursday, August 20, 2020, elaineginader <elaineginader@...> wrote:

I'm coming, work gave me the time off. I have a first mate so if there's wind we can put Bells sails up. This will be my first messabout and my first real cruise with Belle.

I'm hoping to be among the fleet, too.  Any page with Belle's specs, such as length and draft and pics?

Mark 


Re: Coot gab fest Tomorrow (Friday) 11:00 (was: Short Notise -- Coot Lunch at Fern Ridge Monday (today))

Josh
 

Getting out of the dock our rudder grounded and we had to pull it. Got her home just fine. 


Re: September Columbia Cruise

elaineginader
 

I'm coming, work gave me the time off. I have a first mate so if there's wind we can put Bells sails up. This will be my first messabout and my first real cruise with Belle.


On Thu, Aug 20, 2020, 8:35 PM John Kohnen <jkohnen@...> wrote:
I recall seeing the boat at the PT Fest when a bunch of Poulsbo boats
showed up, with interesting engines in most of them, but not a single
Wisconsin or B&S, IIRC. <shrug> Looks like someone took a saw to the
cabin since then... I look forward to seeing her in the flesh.

On 8/19/2020 10:31 PM, Bob Miller wrote:
> It's an original Ronald Young. One former iteration (
> https://www.pinterest.com/pin/275282595947150079/?nic_v2=1a1tzClZN ) was
> shown at a past WBF. I don't know if that was custom from the builder or
> a modification. I plan to stop by the Poulsbo Boat Rendezvous (in
> Poulsbo) on the 29th to see if the historical society has any info. It's
> powered by a Yamaha 8 hp high thrust electric start in a well. I'm
> having a hoop tent constructed for the forward cockpit on the 31st. I
> hope to have her fully cruise capable by the first week of September.
> Christened Scot-Free (a nod to part of my heritage). She'll fly the
> Scottish red ensign.

--
John <jkohnen@...>
He could do anything he put his mind to, except put on a white shirt and
tie. (Said of yacht club manager Clifford James Dickson by his daughter)


--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com





Re: September Columbia Cruise

 

I recall seeing the boat at the PT Fest when a bunch of Poulsbo boats showed up, with interesting engines in most of them, but not a single Wisconsin or B&S, IIRC. <shrug> Looks like someone took a saw to the cabin since then... I look forward to seeing her in the flesh.

On 8/19/2020 10:31 PM, Bob Miller wrote:
It's an original Ronald Young. One former iteration ( https://www.pinterest.com/pin/275282595947150079/?nic_v2=1a1tzClZN ) was shown at a past WBF. I don't know if that was custom from the builder or a modification. I plan to stop by the Poulsbo Boat Rendezvous (in Poulsbo) on the 29th to see if the historical society has any info. It's powered by a Yamaha 8 hp high thrust electric start in a well. I'm having a hoop tent constructed for the forward cockpit on the 31st. I hope to have her fully cruise capable by the first week of September. Christened Scot-Free (a nod to part of my heritage). She'll fly the Scottish red ensign.
--
John <@Jkohnen>
He could do anything he put his mind to, except put on a white shirt and tie. (Said of yacht club manager Clifford James Dickson by his daughter)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Coot gab fest Tomorrow (Friday) 11:00 (was: Short Notise -- Coot Lunch at Fern Ridge Monday (today))

 

I'll see if I can make it out to Richardson tomorrow to say hello and give you a hand. If anybody else shows up we can have a gab fest and lunch.

On 8/18/2020 1:24 PM, Josh wrote:
Looking like we're aiming for 11am Friday morning.
--
John <@Jkohnen>
A learning experience is one of those things that say, "You know that thing you just did? Don't do that." (Douglas Adams)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Re: Banta boat

 

The boat sure looks good, Jim! :o) I think it'll be a good boat, as well as a "cute" one. If one of Us gets it I hope they name it "Dennis". <g>

https://flic.kr/s/aHsmNwEz7p

On 8/19/2020 6:45 PM, Jim C wrote:
Got the Banta boat done. I built it with the intention of donating it to my church. I talked to them & they aren't doing any fund raising this year because of the virus, so they don't want it. I haven't gotten the paperwork & hull number back yet, so I can't sell it till I do. If any one wants a cute boat contact me & we'll talk
--
John <@Jkohnen>
Adults are obsolete children, and the hell with them. (Theodore "Dr. Seuss" Geisel)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Re: Table Saw Blues --- Burnt out motor !!

 

Cal's saw has the blade bolted right to the motor shaft, and a brushed AC/DC motor. Like a great big portable circular saw bolted to the underside of the table. Not a separate motor with a belt to the arbor like the pricier saws. He was talking about it the other day. My going-on-50-year-old Sears saw has that integral motor and arbor and is still humming along (though brushed motors make more noise). It's kinda scary that I remember when my saw was bought new, by a friend. <g>

You can often find good deals on old table saws. If it's a good make and model, a little fettling and maybe a new fence and you can have got a good saw.

On 8/20/2020 1:54 PM, Jove wrote:
Motors on stationary power tools are usually interchangeable. What is the power rating on the motor?

The cheap table saw off craigslist is often the cheapest way to get a new motor. They are so cumbersome that people put a low price on them to free up space.
https://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/d/springfield-10-inch-sears-tablesaw/7180024010.html ...
--
John <@Jkohnen>
I have a total irreverence for anything connected with society except that which makes the roads safer, the beer stronger, the food cheaper and the old men and old women warmer in the winter and happier in the summer. (Brendan Behan)
--
This email has been checked for viruses by AVG.
https://www.avg.com


Re: Table Saw Blues --- Burnt out motor !!

Jove Lachman-Curl
 

Motors on stationary power tools are usually interchangeable. What is the power rating on the motor?
The cheap table saw off craigslist is often the cheapest way to get a new motor. They are so cumbersome that people put a low price on them to free up space. 
https://eugene.craigslist.org/tls/d/springfield-10-inch-sears-tablesaw/7180024010.html  
Are you happy with your saw in general? or would you consider replacing it? I think my neighbor is looking at getting rid of a small table saw at some point, I could ask him the price.
I'm in south eugene. Where are you?
Also, harbor freight has motors in box for ~160. I'm not sure what you're prefered budget is. Is this a "I want to fix it for under $20" type of thing?
I'm interested to hear what others say, I've burnt out a couple motors and it's always been a pain to find a good cheap replacement.
-Jove


On Wed, Aug 19, 2020 at 5:37 PM Electri-Cal <calboats@...> wrote:
Just had my Delta 10 inch saw burn out, this is not good.  Looking to replace that is pretty spendy.  So, looking for a good motor rebuilder, a replacement, or exchange motor, maybe even a different gently used saw to replace my old one.  Ideas welcome, I found a motor rebuilder down the road, but different tried and successful ideas might come from the Coots, so here goes !!  Yep, it'll cost a few bucks, but would like to do it some good way to get rolling again.  

Thanks,   Cal