Re: NMEA (was: a few Android apps I use)

Thanks, Bob! I knew you'd have something useful to say about Dan's problem. "This is complicated" is why I bought the Quark with built-in Wifi. <g>

I can't find the email where Dan said what brand of device he bought. Please tell us again what the make and model of your gizmo is, Dan!

Dan mentions a USB port, so I think there is a possibility it could send the NMEA sentences to a cheap Wifi hub. Whatever my Quark receiver broadcasts via Wifi is deciphered well enough by my nav tablet (a very near twin to the Samsung Mary sold Dan) that OpenCPN and Navionics can read the data without having to jump through any hoops. Why would that be difficult if Dan's gizmo can send the NMEA data through USB to a cheap Wifi hub?

Dan's table uses the older, asymmetrical little USB port. Just one port, that doubles as a charging port. My newer tablet has the new 'C' port and I sure like that there's no wrong way to plug the cable in. <g>

On 5/1/2022 10:10 AM, Bob L wrote:
This is complicated.
The AIS (or GPS) with NMEA0183 only sends out a stream of sentences. You want those sentences to get to a program, like OpenCPN, as they will be processed into useful stuff, like is that big boat going to hit me. In order to get the stream into the tablet, many tablets have an OTG host mode for their little USB connector.  This requires an adapter with the connectors reversed, like thisfancy 3 port version. <https://www.amazon.com/TUSITA-Adaptor-Charging-Adapter-Raspberry/dp/B00LTHBCNM>
The AIS receiver can hook to an RS-232 to USB converter that can then plug into the OTG host  adapter.
That does not mean that it will work.  Android drivers should support the OTG host part.  But then the app needs to get the stream from the driver.  This again should work but it depends on the app design. OpenCPN should work.  One tricky deal is that there are no AIS test signals at Diamond Lake.  So, the AIS receiver just sits there.  Not being able to test the AIS at home is a problem.
WiFi - The simple WiFi to USB adapter will not do the needed dialog so that it can be hooked either directly to the AIS receiver or via an RS-232 to USB adapter.  There are such things, but they need more smarts than the simple adapters.  They also need setup.   John, your WiFi network has the sound of such a deal.  I do not have experience in this area.
My own setup doesn't count as it was put together before tablets existed.  But it does work, and I like the AIS reports/displays of OpenCPN.
Kindness is in our power, even when fondness is not. (Samuel Johnson)