Re: NMEA (was: a few Android apps I use)

Bob Larkin

This is complicated.

The AIS (or GPS) with NMEA0183 only sends out a stream of sentences.  You want those sentences to get to a program, like OpenCPN, as they will be processed into useful stuff, like is that big boat going to hit me.  In order to get the stream into the tablet, many tablets have an OTG host mode for their little USB connector.  This requires an adapter with the connectors reversed, like this fancy 3 port version.

The AIS receiver can hook to an RS-232 to USB converter that can then plug into the OTG host  adapter.

That does not mean that it will work.  Android drivers should support the OTG host part.  But then the app needs to get the stream from the driver.  This again should work but it depends on the app design.  OpenCPN should work.  One tricky deal is that there are no AIS test signals at Diamond Lake.  So, the AIS receiver just sits there.  Not being able to test the AIS at home is a problem.

WiFi - The simple WiFi to USB adapter will not do the needed dialog so that it can be hooked either directly to the AIS receiver or via an RS-232 to USB adapter.  There are such things, but they need more smarts than the simple adapters.  They also need setup.   John, your WiFi network has the sound of such a deal.  I do not have experience in this area.

My own setup doesn't count as it was put together before tablets existed.  But it does work, and I like the AIS reports/displays of OpenCPN.

A few thoughts!   Bob